AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

Just now, South Sider said:

Cease has his struggles sometimes but the man can be downright filthy. 

I think the fact that he looked his best in the 6th by throwing just 1 fastball speaks to how good his stuff really is. If he figures out his fastball control, he's gonna look like Gerrit Cole out there. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Cease was nasty - nice job blowing it open later on.  Excellent win! Lets do it again tomorrow!!! 

I keep seeing people post about Cease not being in the rotation in the playoff , but I'd like to see how he looks down the stretch. His stuff can be overpowering. His fastball was blazing tonight but, KC wasn't swinging at the slider . He kept it down and away and he got maybe one swing for a K on it but overall I think it just lacked depth.

That knuckle curve, now that's an out pitch liked he showed in the 6th. He probably doesn't throw them much early on because he doesn't want to hang one and the fastball slider combo is smarter if you can get them to chase the slider which wasn't happening. I wonder if he has experimented with a cutter or sinker or change up.If he could throw the fastball consistently as sinkers and cutters at slightly less MPH  like around 94/95 he'd throw off the timing of hitters even throwing it in the zone and he could be dominant without the high pitch count.

He is so close to being the #1 starter on the staff.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I keep seeing people post about Cease not being in the rotation in the playoff , but I'd like to see how he looks down the stretch. His stuff can be overpowering. His fastball was blazing tonight but, KC wasn't swinging at the slider . He kept it down and away and he got maybe one swing for a K on it but overall I think it just lacked depth.

That knuckle curve, now that's an out pitch liked he showed in the 6th. He probably doesn't throw them much early on because he doesn't want to hang one and the fastball slider combo is smarter if you can get them to chase the slider which wasn't happening. I wonder if he has experimented with a cutter or sinker or change up.If he could throw the fastball consistently as sinkers and cutters at slightly less MPH  like around 94/95 he'd throw off the timing of hitters even throwing it in the zone and he could be dominant without the high pitch count.

He is so close to being the #1 starter on the staff.

I questioned the playoff rotation here last week and was told Cease and Dallas will go to the bullpen.  I don't get that.  If we go deep in the playoffs we will need 4 starters.  I doubt Kopech will be stretched out enough to give more than 3 innings.  Give Dylan a shot if he looks good down the stretch.

• Like 1

Cease looked really good.  He still throws a lot pf pitches, but we're seeing less of the pitches nowhere near the zone and more close misses.  His breaking stuff can be absolutely filthy, and the 6th inning was him at his best with the curve.  Not one hitter had a chance.

Andrew Vaughn is going to a problem for the rest of the AL for a long time.  His bomb last night was a thing of beauty.

Nice to see TA have a good game.  Oppo Tim is the best Tim.

Great win over a bad team.  Keep doing that, and the gap between the Sox and the Guardians will continue to grow.

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Cease looked really good.  He still throws a lot pf pitches, but we're seeing less of the pitches nowhere near the zone and more close misses.  His breaking stuff can be absolutely filthy, and the 6th inning was him at his best with the curve.  Not one hitter had a chance.

Andrew Vaughn is going to a problem for the rest of the AL for a long time.  His bomb last night was a thing of beauty.

Nice to see TA have a good game.  Oppo Tim is the best Tim.

Great win over a bad team.  Keep doing that, and the gap between the Sox and the Guardians will continue to grow.

Forget the Guardians.  The Indians are w/o their manager and were sellers not buyers at the deadline. We should be focused on the Astros as Boston/  Tampa will get beat up by Yankees, Jays and each other. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wegner said:

I questioned the playoff rotation here last week and was told Cease and Dallas will go to the bullpen.  I don't get that.  If we go deep in the playoffs we will need 4 starters.  I doubt Kopech will be stretched out enough to give more than 3 innings.  Give Dylan a shot if he looks good down the stretch.

I've been saying for a month or more that there will be at least a 4 man rotation and there is always a chance that there would be a need for the fifth guy too and yes Kopech may not be able to start a game . He isn't close now. That was just some peoples fantasy rotation should Rodon go down or the replacement of Cease . Just because Kopech has been good in short bursts does not mean he would automatically be a better starter than Cease.

Cease is still on his development path and while we hope Kopech's path is shorter, most starting pitcher's take around 90 starts before you start to get comfortable  according to John Smoltz. The odds of Kopech starting and becoming a better starter than Cease  are slim in the near future.

Predicting the future personnel based on present personnel is probably not a good idea.

• Like 1