Z.Collins receives online death threats

caulfield12

My brother is a pro athlete in another sport. I read absolutely nothing online/social media about him or his team because online sports fans can be so aggressive. Fortunately, he's well liked by his team's fan base and that fan base is generally nice, but many other athletes are not as lucky. Of course, even if 97% of comments are positive, it's human nature to have that negative 3% stuck in your head. I think a lot of pro athletes suffer from mental health because of toxic online fans. 

Another thing is there's women (called puck bunnies in hockey, not sure what they're called in other sports) who congregate on sites like Tumblr to "gossip" (more like invade) the personal lives of athletes. They literally make shit up about the athlete's (and sometimes the SO) personal life that's defamatory. 

Can't imagine how things would have been back in 2005 the last couple of months of the season had social media been so pervasive as it is today. 

We were leading the Indians by 10 full games last night.  Better just to turn the game off hen it got away early instead of allow yourself to get that upset about it. 

Edited by caulfield12

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Can't imagine how things would have been back in 2005 the last couple of months of the season had social media been so pervasive as it is today. 

We were leading the Indians by 10 full games last night.  Better just to turn the game off hen it got away early instead of allow yourself to get that upset about it. 

Social media encourages this nonsense. People can get awfully brave sitting at their keyboards. Not to mention sick. This society has some real issues.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Zack must read Soxtalk game threads. 

The guy plays hard and I am sure he would like to succeed just as much as any fan would like him to.  I don't understand the constant criticism of his catching skills or lack thereof,  it is one thing to make a critical comment or two and it's another to beat a dead horse.  He doesn't appear to have the skills to be a MLB catcher, we all get it.  Do you really need to kick a guy when he is down?

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Social media encourages this nonsense. People can get awfully brave sitting at their keyboards. Not to mention sick. This society has some real issues.

It just has another outlet. People can now interact on a personal level and I am not certain that is a good thing. 

Reggie Jackson had to wear a helmet in the outfield during a game as he was pelted with batteries.  Today it becomes a crisis when a player has a ball thrown at him the game stops and person is banned for life, which he should. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

It just has another outlet. People can now interact on a personal level and I am not certain that is a good thing. 

Reggie Jackson had to wear a helmet in the outfield during a game as he was pelted with batteries.  Today it becomes a crisis when a player has a ball thrown at him the game stops and person is banned for life, which he should. 

Well Reggie did try to kill the Queen

• Haha 2

I can get as mad as the next guy about the Sox when they play lousy, but if you send somebody a death threat over their performance (Sixer fans to Ball) you need to reassess your life.

More importantly, you need to be thrown in jail. Can't go around sending death threats to people. Hopefully anybody who does that will be caught and prosecuted and not let off. People need to get a grip. Also I'd love to see Twitter disbanded. Same ol same ol. Most people on Twitter who post personal insults and threats do so with screen names so it's impossible for them to face prosecution when they take it too far.

• Like 1

if he could catch and hit the ball this wouldn't be a problem. jose abreu isnt* getting these threats!

there's always scumbags in this world, usually comes from a place of their own insecurities. got to take the good with the bad and shake it off. probably easier said than done. 

Edited by BrianAnderson
  • Like 1