Are the Sox overusing their starters?

Dominikk85

Sox starters are third in IP Only behind Oakland and Houston and some guys look like they are getting tired. 

Imo there needs to be some kind of intervention like a fake DL stint or at least a skipped start. 

I don't care if the Sox have a 2 win 10 game stretch but give giolito, rodon and Lynn some time off. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Sox starters are third in IP Only behind Oakland and Houston and some guys look like they are getting tired. 

Imo there needs to be some kind of intervention like a fake DL stint or at least a skipped start. 

I don't care if the Sox have a 2 win 10 game stretch but give giolito, rodon and Lynn some time off. 

They just did a bullpen day followed by an off day so that got everybody 2 extra days rest. They'll probably do that again 2-3 more times.

Hahn keeps saying Kopech is a starter next year. He’ll need to start in June or July, it’s unrealistic to ramp up from 65 innings (44 now) to 150 + next year, which means at least a month or two off.

It’s why I liked his usage better before his IL stint (2 + innings prior, now just an inning). Would have been on pace for 90-100 even with the month off. Now he’ll hit 65-75.

They already burnt their 2018 (4) and 2020 (11) high first round picks on one inning guys (Crochet and then Madrigal (+ Heuer) turned into Kimbrel) instead of signing FAs or getting lower cost arms.

13 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

I wouldn’t hate each pitcher taking a 10-day IL (just missing one start) from now until end of season. Gives Kopech some starts too.

10 days messes with the rotation too much. That's why Rodon hadn't pitched in 8 days until today. You pick a starter and let Lambert start in his place or Reylo and have a bullpen day. Probably will see that again depending on who they want to rest. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see it again for Rodon.

Kopech also might be getting tired from 0 innings pitched for 2 years for those who think he should be stretched out again. It may not be the Sox fault . It could just be Kopech has a tired arm.

On 8/7/2021 at 1:26 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

Hahn keeps saying Kopech is a starter next year. He’ll need to start in June or July, it’s unrealistic to ramp up from 65 innings (44 now) to 150 + next year, which means at least a month or two off.

It’s why I liked his usage better before his IL stint (2 + innings prior, now just an inning). Would have been on pace for 90-100 even with the month off. Now he’ll hit 65-75.

They already burnt their 2018 (4) and 2020 (11) high first round picks on one inning guys (Crochet and then Madrigal (+ Heuer) turned into Kimbrel) instead of signing FAs or getting lower cost arms.

I don't understand why people (not picking on you) have such a difficult time understanding that Kopech's job changed over the course of this season as guys like Heuer, Foster, Bummer, and Marshall proved to be wholly unreliable in high leverage situations.  Think back to preseason and people were so excited to know that the pen was so stacked that a guy like Kopech would just be used as a long reliever.  Instead, the first half of this season, Liam was literally the only guy who could be counted on to hold a lead out of that pen, with Crochet semi-reliable.  When that happened, Kopech's role had to change for the sake of this year's road to October baseball.

Will it cost us some Kopech starts next season?  More than likely, but the AL central will be absolute TRASH again next season.  We'll have time to build him up as the season progresses. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I don't understand why people (not picking on you) have such a difficult time understanding that Kopech's job changed over the course of this season as guys like Heuer, Foster, Bummer, and Marshall proved to be wholly unreliable in high leverage situations.  Think back to preseason and people were so excited to know that the pen was so stacked that a guy like Kopech would just be used as a long reliever.  Instead, the first half of this season, Liam was literally the only guy who could be counted on to hold a lead out of that pen, with Crochet semi-reliable.  When that happened, Kopech's role had to change for the sake of this year's road to October baseball.

Will it cost us some Kopech starts next season?  More than likely, but the AL central will be absolute TRASH again next season.  We'll have time to build him up as the season progresses. 

I thought they managed Kopech’s innings fine, and coming back slow after the injury also made sense. The Sox acquired Kimbrel, now have four other reliable back end relievers (Liam, Kimbrel, Bummer, Crochet).

I was hoping they acquired Kimbrel in part to allow Kopech to stretch out for 2-3 inning appearances, or perhaps a few tandem starts with Rodon and Cease, for this season (multi inning appearances, also help the rotation) and build a higher innings base for the proposed transition next season.

Kopech has been very effective with his longer appearances (ten 2-5 inning appearances this year, 0-1 ERs allowed in all ten), and it could play a difference in a playoff game.

They still used two very high first round draft picks (2018 (Madrigal + they lost Heuer) and 2020 (Crochet) ) for two set up relievers, and they’re still tying up Kopech as well.

This tweet makes me think two things. 

1. The Sox staff really has been awesome this year, and maybe their best pitcher in Lynn isn't on the list

2. I can't fathom how sick this team would have been in Wheeler takes the Sox offer, and they never sign Keuchel...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

This tweet makes me think two things. 

1. The Sox staff really has been awesome this year, and maybe their best pitcher in Lynn isn't on the list

2. I can't fathom how sick this team would have been in Wheeler takes the Sox offer, and they never sign Keuchel...

Wheeler passing on the Sox offer turned out to be a bigger loss than Machado, imo.

We'd be unstoppable this year with Wheeler.

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

Wheeler passing on the Sox offer turned out to be a bigger loss than Machado, imo.

We'd be unstoppable this year with Wheeler.

If they win it all in the next three years, won't matter. 

But if they fall short......it will be easy to think what could have been. Now obviously we all know other signings may not have happened if Wheeler signed instead of Keuchel, but playing the "Everything else stays the same but you flip Wheeler for Keuchel" game.....it hurts. 

Also shows you the Sox were pretty dead on in their scouting, they wanted Wheeler from the jump and in this case actually did offer the most money to try and sign him...