Sox at Cubs, 1:20

Bob Sacamano

simply put, you don't trade for the best closer in baseball and not make him the closer.  He has very little experience as a set-up man.  His velocity is down without the added adrenaline.  He also excels by throwing curves when hitter is expecting a fastball.  Romine needed to see a curve on 2-2 or 3-2.

• Like 2

Just now, fathom said:

simply put, you don't trade for the best closer in baseball and not make him the closer.  He has very little experience as a set-up man.  His velocity is down without the added adrenaline.  He also excels by throwing curves when hitter is expecting a fastball.  Romine needed to see a curve on 2-2 or 3-2.

He was hanging them. If he doesn't fix that we're in for an awful stretch. 

• Like 1

Just now, Baron said:

Oh wow! What great timing! I didn't see you the last two times he didnt give up runs 

He just blew a freaking 3 run lead in the 8th inning guy. The entire point I've made is that one or two bad outings literally degrade the value of the trade given the limited amount of games in which he makes a serious impact over his replacement. That's why trading a boat load for a reliever is terrible, and his ERA Is now over 9 with the Sox which again... is why trading a shit ton for a reliever who is already paid 16 million and pitching in a set up role is something no other team has done.

Kimbrel will be fine, but guess what? He blew one of the chances that a replacement likely would not have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Chris Sale said:

same. i was honestly depressed all day after i heard about that trade. i know he was hated by so much of the fanbase but madrigal was my favorite. he's gonna be great tho ngl i am really liking hernandez, and he already typifies the type of player i expected to watch nick grow into (a gamer who fields and runs well, hustles, plays smart and hard baseball.... obviously cesar will never have nick's batting eye because nobody does, but at least he has some power and we won't have to suffer nick's growing pains). 

but i've always hated kimbrel even tho he's had a HOF career, and i kinda thought this year was a fluky last hurrah.... hope i'm wrong but jfc what a start 

Nothing flukish about a wxOBA in the 100th percentile

Just now, fathom said:

You dont trade for a closer when you already have a closer. You trade for the best set up man you can find.

Maybe it will work, but it generally seems not to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

GTFO with this garbage. He's paid 16 million dollars to get people out. If he can only pitch in one situation then he's a clown. This was a high leverage situation that he made even higher.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He just blew a freaking 3 run lead in the 8th inning guy. The entire point I've made is that one or two bad outings literally degrade the value of the trade given the limited amount of games in which he makes a serious impact over his replacement. That's why trading a boat load for a reliever is terrible, and his ERA Is now over 9 with the Sox which again... is why trading a shit ton for a reliever who is already paid 16 million and pitching in a set up role is something no other team has done.

Kimbrel will be fine, but guess what? He blew one of the chances that a replacement likely would not have.

Dude you are actively rooting against him because you got absolutely shit on in the trade thread. Don't make this about more than it is. 

• Love 1

Just now, fathom said:

Wait. I thought these type of guys shouldn't just pitch the 9th. Everyone wants them to pitch in the high leverage situation even if it's in the 7th. 

You can't have it both ways you can't say that he should only pitch in the 9th bit then want him in the 7th if it's high leverage. 

• Love 1

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Nothing flukish about a wxOBA in the 100th percentile

fair enough. i meant more just that it was an outlier from his previous two years, and i didn't understand why his performance improved so drastically despite getting older and not making any obvious changes. i'll concede his underlying metrics from this year were really good though

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

GTFO with this garbage. He's paid 16 million dollars to get people out. If he can only pitch in one situation then he's a clown. This was a high leverage situation that he made even higher.

You always hear about closers that can't pitch without the adrenaline.  I think it's stupid also, but it's a mental thing for these guys.