And that’s a white sox winner

bmags

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Nope. Doesn't fit the narrative.  

I know.  I thought for sure by now the team would be calling TLR “Mr. Racist Beer Cans”.  

So many people went full priss about the hire- they were all so sure the clubhouse would hate him.  It was guaranteed.  How the hell could Goodwin be having fun?  I just don’t get it.  

11 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I know.  I thought for sure by now the team would be calling TLR “Mr. Racist Beer Cans”.  

So many people went full priss about the hire- they were all so sure the clubhouse would hate him.  It was guaranteed.  How the hell could Goodwin be having fun?  I just don’t get it.  

The point cannot be made strongly enough, and is was made clear to me during the election. People who post on social media only represent a certain section of the general public within an arena , and most often that section has a distorted viewpoint. Guaranteed Brian Goodwin is very popular among the greater community of Sox fans away from thunderdome.  

Edited by Chick Mercedes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

You can feel bad about it without going to the pathetic depths of that game thread

Looking at things objectively, there's a reason that very few teams in baseball have ever used two closers together earning that type of money for 1 1/2 seasons together.

Because it's hard to retain their value...with Andrew Miller (who was always more of a multi-inning high leverage guy) perhaps the closest in his prime.  The hard thing here is the ideal situation would be Hendriks pitching high leverage and Kimbrel closing, but that's the opposite of the way it's likely to play out.

Just have a feeling that Kimbrel won't do as well as Hendriks in that role because Liam has done it for so much of his career, whereas Kimbrel is so acclimated with being THE guy down in the pen.  It's a big adjustment, especially for a future HoF who statistically was the best closer in baseball this season...until he changed teams.

Andrew Vaughn is sure holding it down in left field. Him sliding over there made me feel so comfortable. Then of course he covers it like a blanket. I simply don’t know how the Sox can long term hold him off. He is foundational in left. Something has got to be did. In the end, left field is rightfully his based on merit. Merit usually rises to the top like cream. Just because someone else with a lot of clout demands to play there is not sustainable long term. I guess we can hope Vaughn will be our Kris Bryant, but Other than first base and left, Vaughn can’t be that. But in left? He is better than adequate. I cannot think of another word other than foundational in a (good) team-building sense.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

In the end, left field is rightfully his based on merit. Merit usually rises to the top like cream. Just because someone else with a lot of clout demands to play there is not sustainable long term.

Vaughn is a 1B/ DH long term. He is as slow as molasses.

• Haha 1

Someone in the game thread called it a “moral loss.”   Sums it for me.  Glad they won, but it wasn’t enjoyable, which stinks.  My asst coach is. Cub fan and I didn’t have the heart to give him any shit.

Also, you know things are odd when I was happy Goodwin had gone in for Eloy and was batting in the 10th instead of Jimenez.  Strange day, indeed.

• Haha 1

Exciting victory. I watched from the 7th inning on. GOODWIN!

Please give Goodwin a break next time he makes a key out. That's at least 2 games recently he won single-handedly. He drove that pitch beautifully into the bleachers. Lot of good things about the victory. I many times get mad./despondent but had a feeling the best team would win today. Blowing a 4-1 lead sucked, sure, but top of the order was coming up like Stoney said and I for some reason had a 'good' feeling. Sox win!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JTB said:

Glad they won, but it wasn’t enjoyable, which stinks.

I disagree. I enjoyed watching from 7th inning on. It was a good game. Say what you want these are 2 rivals whether some of the spoil-sports on this board wanna believe it or not. Cubs did a nice job of shockingly erasing a late 3-run deficit.

I enjoyed the Sox rally in the 10th and some good pitching by the closer.

Call me a pollyanna but I enjoyed the win.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, harkness99 said:

Glad we won.. but can't say i feel great about it.

When I played sports I personally enjoyed any win, no matter how I performed, really no matter how the team performed. Enjoy the win, sir. Winning isn't everything as they say, it's the only thing. Just-Win. Baby.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Out of morbid curiosity, if you can't even enjoy a win, then what's the point?

That’s the irony for me.  I coach college basketball and often tell our guys that every win needs to be enjoyed and celebrated because winning is hard.  I broke my own rule today.  It was more relief than joy.