Sox at Cubs 8/7, 1:20

Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, Ozzie’s Cuban Cigar said:

No Vaughn No Engel.    

If it’s load management, I’m fine with it. If it’s platoon bullshit than GFY. Both Vaughn and Engel have been raking against RHP.

They should have put Moncada on the IL, admirable he tried to play through it, but long term better for him to heal up.

Leury Garcia is a two game a week player playing everyday because he switch hits. 

OPS - Last 28 Days

• Hernandez .931
  • Zavala .909
  • Vaughn .868
  • Abreu .851
  • Engel .834
  • Goodwin .734
  • Anderson .693
  • Moncada .677
  • Jimenez .552
  • Garcia .525
  • Collins .449
  • Like 1

I get Azolay sucks sucks against lefties but Leury sucks as a lefty.  I understand load management and what not but it’s not like this would have been 20 games in a row for Engel, it’d be 3.  Not the biggest deal in the world but at some point we have to move Engel passed 2 in a row is too many.  

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

The splits warrant this offensively.  Defensively.......I hope they strike out a lot of guys. 

No they don’t, and Engel / Vaughn are solid defensively. Engel and Vaughn should only sit at this point for load management.

Garcia should only play infield at this point with everyone back but Luis, rest Anderson and Moncada who clearly need rest. Tony will still play Leury in OF with Robert back, he is Tony’s RLRLRLRL missing puzzle piece.

2021 OPS vs. RHP

Engel .959

Vaughn .664 (much higher of late)

Garcia .635

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

No they don’t, and Engel / Vaughn are solid defensively. Engel and Vaughn should only sit at this point for load management.

Garcia should only play infield at this point with everyone back but Luis, rest Anderson and Moncada who clearly need rest. Tony will still play Leury in OF with Robert back, he is Tony’s RLRLRLRL missing puzzle piece.

2021 OPS vs. RHP

Engel .959

Vaughn .664 (much higher of late)

Garcia .635

In general I agree but I’m ok with sitting AV out this one.  Goodwin has been mashing righties and is coming off the heroics yesterday.  With Azolay and Goodwin’s splits, Brian should be out there.  And I don’t think giving Eloy a random day off here is going to help him get his timing back while it’s not going to hurt AV right now.  

Leury in there instead of Engel I really don’t get though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Engel just hits well at Wrigley for whatever reason. I'd rather have him out there than Leury but they probably don't want to play him 3 days in a row.

Vaughn should be playing instead of Eloy. Eloy also shouldn't be hitting 4th until he finds some consistency and timing at the plate. 

How does he find consistency and timing if you are replacing him in the lineup ? What's more important getting Eloy back to being Eloy or Vaughn in the lineup today ? I realize this problem wouldn't exist if it wasn't the NL park.

18 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I get Azolay sucks sucks against lefties but Leury sucks as a lefty.  I understand load management and what not but it’s not like this would have been 20 games in a row for Engel, it’d be 3.  Not the biggest deal in the world but at some point we have to move Engel passed 2 in a row is too many.  

And yet people are still under the impression that once Robert gets back to the Sox he will be able to go full out.Either the Sox don't think Engel can go full out yet or they just don't want him to play often because of RHP. Which one do you think it is ?

Just too many guys doing well and keeping them all as sharp as possible is my guess. Or perhaps a little of both just to be extra cautious.

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

How does he find consistency and timing if you are replacing him in the lineup ? What's more important getting Eloy back to being Eloy or Vaughn in the lineup today ? I realize this problem wouldn't exist if it wasn't the NL park.

I'm not saying he shouldn't play regularly or anything, I'm saying he shouldn't hit 4th until he gets his timing down. 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And yet people are still under the impression that once Robert gets back to the Sox he will be able to go full out.Either the Sox don't think Engel can go full out yet or they just don't want him to play often because of RHP. Which one do you think it is ?

Just too many guys doing well and keeping them all as sharp as possible is my guess. Or perhaps a little of both just to be extra cautious.

I’m just happy we have like 7 weeks which will be devoted to getting guys strength and timing up as much to speed as possible. The biggest question mark and hole is Grandal right now.

If he doesn’t come back soon it’s going to be tough watching him catch up during the post season or leading right up to it.

Hope he’s back in the next two weeks to give him some adjustment time.

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

Engel just hits well at Wrigley for whatever reason. I'd rather have him out there than Leury but they probably don't want to play him 3 days in a row.

Vaughn should be playing instead of Eloy. Eloy also shouldn't be hitting 4th until he finds some consistency and timing at the plate. 

Eloy’s got a double in his last 2 games.  He’s certainly not all the way there yet but he’s starting to get his timing back.  I’m not messing with him at all, throw him out there everyday and keep him batting cleanup, he’ll be all the way back in no time.  

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I’m just happy we have like 7 weeks which will be devoted to getting guys strength and timing up as much to speed as possible. The biggest question mark and hole is Grandal right now.

If he doesn’t come back soon it’s going to be tough watching him catch up during the post season or leading right up to it.

Hope he’s back in the next two weeks to give him some adjustment time.

That would be very nice.

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Go all left handed as much as possible 

Goodwin in center

Sheets in right

Lamb in left

Moncada at third 

Garcia at short

Hernandez at second

Collins catch 

Terrible defense but strike everyone out

I'm not all that concerned about the lineup. What I am concerned about is if Rodon has hit the wall. His last 2 starts he only pitched 4 innings each game 8 R , 6 ER, 12 H, 4 HR . A good start even against a crap lineup would help.

42 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I generally want the best players playing despite platoon splits, but Alzolay's splits are so extreme that I make an exception.