White Sox Winner?

hogan873

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Cleveland losing 2-0 to Detroit in the 8th. Could this be the night the 10 game barrier finally gets broken?

I was watching and this home plate umpire has the smallest strike zone ever. He refuses to give the outside corner or top of the zone. 

1 minute ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Rodon is probably a better pitcher than Giolito, but the Sox are gonna end up paying Giolito long term megabucks instead of investing in a relative  bargain deal for Rodon.

Yes, mainly since Rodon won't sign a bargain deal so there's really only one option left.

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Rodon is probably a better pitcher than Giolito, but the Sox are gonna end up paying Giolito long term megabucks instead of investing in a relative  bargain deal for Rodon.

You could be right without divine intervention, like winning it all with Carlos dominating and JR signing everyone in a fit of blubbering joy.  Could happen, cuz I've seen JR blubbering when PK handed him the winning baseball from the WS in 2005. 

And yes, Carlos is the better pitcher per you and me.

13 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Rodon is a huge injury risk however. Giolito is a better bet. 

The greatest ability is availability. 

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

100% yes. Look at Cleveland this year. Lance Lynn may not pitch at a Cy Young level the next two years, but he's a good bet to pitch all or nearly all of the next two years. Giolito has a pretty good track record of reliability. Keuchel is even valuable in the sense that he's at least going to be better than the guy you have to call up from AAA to replace your injured starter.

For the record I think Rodon has turned a corner and will be a 180+ innings guy going forward, but I'd still have a hard time betting a huge contract on that.

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If the medicals are clear on both players I would pay less money for Rodon.  Hell sign em both. It’s simply a matter of evaluating the stuff at that point. Carlos is a high character guy like Giolito, so all things being equal, the medicals are paramount. By real doctors, not web MDs

Edited by Chick Mercedes

12 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

I have 0 idea where you even start in a contract negotiation with Rodon.  So many variables there.

I agree but if he can make it through the season and extra rest and pitch well in the playoffs that's a great thing for him since he's pitched so few innings the last 2 years. Maybe he will actually want to resign with the Sox for all the things Katz worked with him on and the way the Sox have handled him. After all Boras works for him not the other way around. He could tell Boras get the best deal from the Sox you can if it isn't drastically different from the best offer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

If the medicals are clear on both players I would pay less money for Rodon.  Hell sign em both. It’s simply a matter of evaluating the stuff at that point. Carlos is a high character guy like Giolito, so all things being equal, the medicals are paramount. By real doctors, not web MDs

The number 1 predictor for injuries is previous injuries. Rodon has had surgeries the both his shoulder and elbow. He has already pitched far more innings than the last 2 years combined.. He also has Boras for an agent.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree but if he can make it through the season and extra rest and pitch well in the playoffs that's a great thing for him since he's pitched so few innings the last 2 years. Maybe he will actually want to resign with the Sox for all the things Katz worked with him on and the way the Sox have handled him. After all Boras works for him not the other way around. He could tell Boras get the best deal from the Sox you can if it isn't drastically different from the best offer.

I think that is right Cali. I wonder if there is any chance the Sox try to sign Rodon to an extension before the play-offs as a gesture of extreme confidence in him .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The number 1 predictor for injuries is previous injuries. Rodon has had surgeries the both his shoulder and elbow. He has already pitched far more innings than the last 2 years combined.. He also has Boras for an agent.

Well since he had his surgery that shoulder/bicep thing seems to be in the rearview mirror. His basic shoulder was sound. It was only a nerve impingement problem in the bicep.  That’s  the only reasonable concern, because TJ is something many pitchers have and you could not field a team if you didn’t sign TJ guys. 

2 minutes ago, tray said:

I think that is right Cali. I wonder if there is any chance the Sox try to sign Rodon to an extension before the play-offs as a gesture of extreme confidence in him .

I doubt it. After all Boras is his Agent and will probably need the off season to field offers  depending on how the rest of the season goes.

However on the bright side I didn't see the Lynn extension coming so anything is possible. Also there is the bird in the hand theory that signing in the near future for a reasonable amount might be worth it rather than waiting to see how your arm holds up. My head says both side will wait .

6 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Well since he had his surgery that shoulder/bicep thing seems to be in the rearview mirror. His basic shoulder was sound. It was only a nerve impingement problem in the bicep.  That’s  the only reasonable concern, because TJ is something many pitchers have and you could not field a team if you didn’t sign TJ guys. 

Anytime there is a debridement in the shoulder there is a significant degeneration of tissue and a good chance of decreased stability.  He has pitched maybe 100 innings since that surgery?? I wouldn't classify that as in the rearview mirror. Even though both the should and elbow have been "repaired" he is still much more likely to have further issues than most pitchers. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1