Rey Lo Looking Good!

DanofDuPage

I've always liked ReyLo and refused to believe that his really good 2018 was a fluke.  He looks like a completely different pitcher right now.  Way more confident.  I wonder what work he did with Katz in Spring Training.  Whatever he's doing, it's working, and I absolutely think if he keeps this up, he'll be on the playoff roster.  Also will be key in spelling Carlos and other starters if need be before the playoffs.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Here's my analytical look.

Hes throwing strikes 

So far this year, 44.4% of his thrown pitches have been in the strike zone. In 2019 for comparison, 46.8% of his pitches were in the strike zone. 2020 was 41.9%, 2018 was 44.8%. 

What's different from 2019 and other years in his career is where people are swinging. In 2019, players were swinging at 71.1% of the balls he threw in the zone and 28.9% of balls he threw out of the zone. Other recent seasons look similar.

This year so far, players are swinging at 66.7% of balls that he throws in the zone and 34.4% of balls he throws out of the zone. He's therefore not exactly throwing more strikes (with the exception of 2020), but players aren't picking up on them as well, so they are swinging more often at balls out of the zone and swinging less often at things in the zone that will be called strikes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Reylo certainly did not deserve this call-up from his AAA season, but regardless is pitching very well for the Sox. All we can continue to do is try higher leverage situations for him over the remaining schedule to see if we found something in him this season. His velocity seems to be there and he looks way more confident then some of his starting days. Heck, I’ll admit I never wanted Rodon back after his bullpen games late last year, and I was completely wrong about him. Now, I’m not indicating the same turnaround for Lopez as Rodon, but let’s at least use this Central lead and put Lopez in some challenging situations for the remainder of the regular season. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So far this year, 44.4% of his thrown pitches have been in the strike zone. In 2019 for comparison, 46.8% of his pitches were in the strike zone. 2020 was 41.9%, 2018 was 44.8%. 

What's different from 2019 and other years in his career is where people are swinging. In 2019, players were swinging at 71.1% of the balls he threw in the zone and 28.9% of balls he threw out of the zone. Other recent seasons look similar.

This year so far, players are swinging at 66.7% of balls that he throws in the zone and 34.4% of balls he throws out of the zone. He's therefore not exactly throwing more strikes (with the exception of 2020), but players aren't picking up on them as well, so they are swinging more often at balls out of the zone and swinging less often at things in the zone that will be called strikes. 

My question would be are his pitches out of the strike zone perhaps a bit more enticing to swing at now? If he is out of the zone by an inch or two vs. six inches, the results can be very different. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

My question would be are his pitches out of the strike zone perhaps a bit more enticing to swing at now? If he is out of the zone by an inch or two vs. six inches, the results can be very different. 

Whether it's something about the pitch itself or just the fact that he's coming out of the bullpen so that guys have less time to adapt to it, or perhaps something else I haven't considered, I don't know. Those are the results - people are taking worse swings against him so far this year.

4 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

have any analytic fans/reporters studied what is happening with ReyLo? He was awful in AAA. Like 9era i believe ... same role as he has now. he gets called up and POOF. did he make a slight adjustment? is this a good stretch? just wondering if the experts think this is sustainable ...

Also, I'd trade him in the offseason while he has some control and "shine" of his prospect pedigree. If he keeps this up for the remainder of the year you might get some team to overpay thinking they can unlock something. package him with collins (who probably has all but lost his prospect shine) and see if you can get something decent back in return. 

I got the impression he didn't take being sent down to Charlotte well and his poor pitching was as much in his head as mechanical.

• Like 1

If I am remembering correctly, wasn't Lopez not rated as high on the prospect list because many felt he was destined to be a reliever?  Maybe it just took a little longer to find the right spot for him?  Maybe Katz is just a damn good pitching coach and working with him more has finally paid off?  Whatever it is, it is a bit of a game changer for the bullpen going forward if Lopez has figured it out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wegner said:

If I am remembering correctly, wasn't Lopez not rated as high on the prospect list because many felt he was destined to be a reliever?  Maybe it just took a little longer to find the right spot for him?  Maybe Katz is just a damn good pitching coach and working with him more has finally paid off?  Whatever it is, it is a bit of a game changer for the bullpen going forward if Lopez has figured it out.

He was rated top 50 at the time of the trade. Mid 40s if I remember. But yes, I've been wanting us to try his hand in the bullpen for a few years now.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

Reylo has had a real lively arm and getting ahead of hitters. Looks a lot more confident. 

With his poor showing in Charlotte this year, he probably got into his head. Thinking he should have been in the majors. 

Relief sure looks good for him. Nothing wrong with being a guy who gets outs in the bigs. No matter the inning. He sure could eat up innings going down the stretch so the starters workload decreases and keeps them fresh. 

On 8/8/2021 at 10:26 PM, Buehrle>Wood said:

I dont care if he doesn't give up a run the rest of the season. I dont want him throwing a pitch in the playoffs.

This. 

I am horrified by fans coming around to Rey Lopez. It's going to take a helluva lot more than a good month in a long relief role for me to even consider warming up to that gas can. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, harkness99 said:

he may go sour again.. but he has better stuff than foster,burr, marshal.. ect.

Sometimes.  When Marshall is hitting his spots Marshall's off speed stuff is much better and much more consistent.  Burr has a slider that looks pretty good on occasion.  Foster with his command is a good enough MR as long as he's no more than 1 IP.  All of these guys are more consistent in the zone and therefore better than Reylo IMO.  What Reylo is doing is just a mirage.  Ride it while it lasts ( in low leverage situations only and preferably against bad teams and the 7-8-9s).

Reylo's stuff just isn't that great. The fastball looks good sometimes but he is still wild in the zone with it.  Compared to the other guys he came up with Reylo is definitely the least impressive in terms of pure stuff.  

On 8/8/2021 at 11:34 PM, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

I remember when he came up and made his 3 IP start, I commented he was absolutely filthy. I’m glad he’s on the team and get excited everytime he’s brought in. Great thread. 

25 innings in and Reynaldo Lopez has taken the MLB by storm with a 1.08 ERA in 25 innings. 

Kenny Williams, Rick Hahn, & Tony La Russa have to be through the roof with this unexpected windfall. 

What a time to be a Reynaldo Lopez stan. #SummerofReynaldo

• Quin locked this topic