Rey Lo Looking Good!

DanofDuPage

5 hours ago, chw42 said:

He throws his fastball or slider 95% of the time. Usually that doesn't work real well as a starter long term but that'll be fine as a relief pitcher. 

Lopez and Cease are very much alike IMO.  They each have great stuff and when they throw strikes they can dominate.  When they get to doubting their stuff they start walking the world.  Both of them have a tendency to get two quick strikes then nibble themselves into 3-2 situations.  They need to trust their stuff and not nibble themselves into trouble.

On 8/10/2021 at 7:38 AM, Richie said:

This. 

I am horrified by fans coming around to Rey Lopez. It's going to take a helluva lot more than a good month in a long relief role for me to even consider warming up to that gas can. 

Just go with Mike Wrong. As if they have the luxury of not pitching Lopez. 

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

He played a lot more early on.  His performance slowly moved him out of the job.  He played 16 games from Jul 5-30.  During that time he hit .133/.350/.267/.617.  As time went out Zavala took over the job.

He only started 11 out of 21 games between the 5th and the 31st...he came in as a pinch hitter or took over after Z was removed for a pinch hitter.  He has been BAD...but I don't think it's a fair trial.   I get that we are trying to win but to give Z half the starts after Grandal's injury...why?  Why not the Navarez here you go...prove it...stretch.   

54 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

This is not a wish but a you-heard-it-here-first prediction. For the Sox in 2022 we will see:

1) Rodon - Gone

2) Lopez - 5th starter

3) Kopech - High leverage middle relief

Prove me wrong. Please.

Obviously, I can't prove it but I think you're wrong.  My guess is Rodon stays and Lopez is in middle relief.  Kopech will be in high leverage middle relief and get to starting as rest and DL situations happen.  After winning the WS non of our guys are going to want out.  They are one big happy family.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Obviously, I can't prove it but I think you're wrong.  My guess is Rodon stays and Lopez is in middle relief.  Kopech will be in high leverage middle relief and get to starting as rest and DL situations happen.  After winning the WS non of our guys are going to want out.  They are one big happy family.

Haha your over-optimistic view of the team definitely blinds you sometimes. Only way Rodon stays if he takes a team friendly deal, which I’m not sure why he would. They’re not going to overpay when they can slide Kopech into his rotation spot.

Edited by manbearpuig

They offer Rodon the QO. If he declines (he should), Sox likely stay involved publicly (where they are interested or not) as a favor to Rodon. Rodon likes it here. He could have left in the offseason but wanted to stay here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

Haha your over-optimistic view of the team definitely blinds you sometimes. Only way Rodon stays if he takes a team friendly deal, which I’m not sure why he would. They’re not going to overpay when they can slide Kopech into his rotation spot.

Yeah...I was told the same stuff when I said Moncada, Eloy, and Robert at various times would be extended.  Many of you glass half empty guys said with their big signing bonuses they wouldn't take some discount contract offer from the WS.  You should start to take notice that this group likes playing with each other and money isn't the only thing that motivates already rich people.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yeah...I was told the same stuff when I said Moncada, Eloy, and Robert at various times would be extended.  Many of you glass half empty guys said with their big signing bonuses they wouldn't take some discount contract offer from the WS.  You should start to take notice that this group likes playing with each other and money isn't the only thing that motivates already rich people.

Uh yeah, how often do we see athletes leave money on the table? Barely ever. Rodon hasn't gotten a big contract yet. He'll chase the money, and rightfully so. 

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

This is an entirely different situation. None of those guys ever got close to free agency. There's more incentive to take a team-friendly extension when you have that many years where something could go wrong. Rodon is also nowhere near as rich as guys like Buehrle, Konerko and Abreu that have signed team-friendly deals in the past.

10 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

This is an entirely different situation. None of those guys ever got close to free agency. There's more incentive to take a team-friendly extension when you have that many years where something could go wrong. Rodon is also nowhere near as rich as guys like Buehrle, Konerko and Abreu that have signed team-friendly deals in the past.

Guys, you are ignoring a gigantic Scott Boras shaped elephant in this discussion.

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

This is now a Reynaldo Lopez Apology Thread

I'll start. Lopez I am sorry for being a doubter.

I apologized long ago and now am left trying to figure out a fitting new nickname for him.

¿ ”Reynaldo ‘Sit the Fuck Down Face’ Lopez” ?