Robert back, Sheets Sent Down, Gonzalez Released

Heads22

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hopefully, otherwise we probably should have released Rutherford IMO.

they are both the same type of deal. not going to ever make an impact on the team and just running out of 40 man roster clock. With Cespedes and Colas being the focus of the minors outfield prospects next year they both are out regardless. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

WELCOME BACK 88

Sheets will be back up in September

I am not so sure.  Billy will take one spot.  I imagine a reliever would take the other.  The Sox may also want to carry 3 catchers.  I am not sure Sheets is going to be back in September unless an injury requires it, or the Sox decide to cut Lamb. 

14 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No one is likely to jump on Gonzalez and pick him up while injured, so good chance he's back unless there's some reason he hates being with a team that called him up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not so sure.  Billy will take one spot.  I imagine a reliever would take the other.  The Sox may also want to carry 3 catchers.  I am not sure Sheets is going to be back in September unless an injury requires it, or the Sox decide to cut Lamb. 

Right. Not enough at bats really.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The MLBTR article on this mentions that players that are injured on the 40-man roster in the minors can not be place on outright waivers and they can't claimed so the only thing a team can do is release him or add him to the MLB roster only to put him on the MLB IL. It's pretty common for a team to release the player and re-sign him to a minor league (Tyler Johnson just like 10 days ago) where they are not holding down a 40-man spot.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

they are both the same type of deal. not going to ever make an impact on the team and just running out of 40 man roster clock. With Cespedes and Colas being the focus of the minors outfield prospects next year they both are out regardless. 

Oh fully agree, just feel like if healthy Gonzalez provides some defensive value in the event of an emergency.  Blake is a tweener having a poor offensive season after multiple years of disappointment.  He seems like the obvious guy to cut bait on, but not a big deal either way.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

didn't realize sheets was only batting 225 with an obp around 300. Yeah, good move. 

Yeah some maybe did not realize Sheets is hitting for a low BA because he has not had that many at-bats and he  has hit into some tough luck including several line drives hit into the shift. I am not sure that was the primary reason he was sent down though. It may have been done to avoid DFAing Lamb in order to open a roster spot.

Edited by tray

46 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So they could have instated them to the MLB roster and then put them on the 60 day IL. Must not want to pay the extra salary. 

I mean, they already called the guy up which gave him health insurance coverage for life; I doubt they wanted to call someone up just to IL him. While likely meaningless in his case, it also would have counted as service time.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

17 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Isn't Lamb like TLR's boy? Or am I remembering something else? 

2 hours ago, Richie said:

Isn't Lamb like TLR's boy? Or am I remembering something else? 

Seeing as though Lamb has had 1 at bat in 4 games since returning from the IL, including 3 national league park games, TLR may have outgrown that.

It also begs the question why exactly he's on this roster.  I guess its the left handed bat since we have so few, but he's going to be used so sparingly.  My guess is the thought process is to get Sheets everyday at bats for a month or so as opposed to being a sparsely used bench bat. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Seeing as though Lamb has had 1 at bat in 4 games since returning from the IL, including 3 national league park games, TLR may have outgrown that.

It also begs the question why exactly he's on this roster.  I guess its the left handed bat since we have so few, but he's going to be used so sparingly.  My guess is the thought process is to get Sheets everyday at bats for a month or so as opposed to being a sparsely used bench bat. 

He gets paid whether he plays or not. Tony wasn't playing Sheets anyway the past few weeks, so it's better he can play regularly and Lamb sit and collect his checks.

If they trusted Lamb at 3B, he could spell Yoan. but outside of late inning blowouts, they don't have faith to start him anywhere but corner OF, and that is for only 4-6 innings before he is pulled for an actual outfielder. I think he'll make it until the end of the season, not sure if that impacts post-season shares or service time, but I don't believe the team will roster him in the postseason or bring him back to play. Can see him being on Tony's staff though next season, or perhaps the team can find something else for him to do for the FO.

19 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think it's 100% this. Sheets is a guy who has a potential future either with the Sox or as part of a trade, so he needs to develop. He can't do that with 5 AB per week. Lamb has no future with this team so he can sit on the bench and wait to pinch hit for Zavala.