Benetti out with breakthrough Covid

Heads22

52 minutes ago, tray said:

Covid infections  appear to have gained momentum in certain areas of the country, particularly among the un-vaccinated.

I suspect several of the so-called "break-through" cases are bulsh1t.. Some might be the result of false positive tests,  flu symptoms erroneously reported as break through covid nfections, or positive tests for the virus where there are few if any symptoms for the previously vaccinated.

Benetti has to remain in quarantine for a while because a  Covid outbreak is the last thing the sox need  right  now

It's OK people Dr Tray is on the case. 

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

It is a shame.  Break through infections are everywhere.  The government was too premature in stating that vaccinated individuals could go without a  mask.  This virus and its variants are too novel and it is better to err on the side of caution.

• Haha 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, hankchifan said:

It is a shame.  Break through infections are everywhere.  The government was too premature in stating that vaccinated individuals could go without a  mask.  This virus and its variants are too novel and it is better to err on the side of caution.

The good news is it seems that vaccinated people are far less likely to have a serious case.  I know vaccinated people who contracted it who said they had mild symptoms for a few days and that was it.  Benetti was high risk, if I recall.

• Like 1

Hospitalized or fatal vaccine breakthrough cases reported to CDC   as of August 2, 2021   -   7,525

Total number of fully vaccinated - as of August 2 - 164 Million

7,525 / 164,000,000 = .000045 chances of hospitalization and death among fully vaccinated.

74% of that number (5557) were over 65 years old. 

All statistics above from the CDC website on breakthrough cases:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

No team needs a Covid outbreak or having to quarantine key players, especially a team in the play-off race like the Yankees.

Anthony Rizzo was diagnosed with Covid (although he was not vaccinated) and is in quarantine.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31987292/anthony-rizzo-latest-new-york-yankees-player-test-positive-covid-1

"Rizzo tested positive after Saturday's game, in which he went 0-for-4 in the Yankees' 5-4 victory over Seattle Mariners. Rizzo joins catcher Gary Sanchez and starting pitchers Gerrit Cole and Jordan Montgomery as Yankees players to recently test positive for the virus. Cole tested positive Monday, Montgomery tested positive Tuesday and Sanchez was placed on the COVID-19 list Thursday. Boone said Cole, Montgomery and Sanchez are feeling better.

The outbreak occurred after the Yankees returned from playing six games against the Tampa Bay Rays and Miami Marlins in Florida, where COVID-19 cases are surging. Rizzo made his debut with the Yankees on July 30 at Miami.

"I think a lot came out of Florida where we were in this wave of them,'' Boone said. "It's a little of you don't know when and where it's spreading.''

At least 85% of New York's players are vaccinated, resulting in a loosening of restrictions, but the Yankees still have been hit hard and Boone said the team will hold conversations about being cautious on its upcoming six-game road trip."

Edited by tray
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, tray said:

Hospitalized or fatal vaccine breakthrough cases reported to CDC   as of August 2, 2021   -   7,525

7,525 / 164,000,000 = .000045 chances of hospitalization and death among fully vaccinated.

74% of that number (5557) were over 65 years old. 

All statistics above from the CDC website on breakthrough cases:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

No team needs a Covid outbreak or having to quarantine key players, especially a team in the play-off race like the Yankees.

Anthony Rizzo was diagnosed with Covid (although he was not vaccinated) and is in quarantine.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31987292/anthony-rizzo-latest-new-york-yankees-player-test-positive-covid-1

"Rizzo tested positive after Saturday's game, in which he went 0-for-4 in the Yankees' 5-4 victory over Seattle Mariners. Rizzo joins catcher Gary Sanchez and starting pitchers Gerrit Cole and Jordan Montgomery as Yankees players to recently test positive for the virus. Cole tested positive Monday, Montgomery tested positive Tuesday and Sanchez was placed on the COVID-19 list Thursday. Boone said Cole, Montgomery and Sanchez are feeling better.

The outbreak occurred after the Yankees returned from playing six games against the Tampa Bay Rays and Miami Marlins in Florida, where COVID-19 cases are surging. Rizzo made his debut with the Yankees on July 30 at Miami.

"I think a lot came out of Florida where we were in this wave of them,'' Boone said. "It's a little of you don't know when and where it's spreading.''

At least 85% of New York's players are vaccinated, resulting in a loosening of restrictions, but the Yankees still have been hit hard and Boone said the team will hold conversations about being cautious on its upcoming six-game road trip."

Maybe simply put, breakthrough cases make up about 1% of all new covid cases.  Pretty rare .

1 hour ago, tray said:

The math implies every single person vaccinated person has been exposed to COVID, and that simply can’t be true. 

14 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

that would be my guess. Len/the radio guys are "allowed" to travel for road games while Jason and Stoney are not. So stupid - cutting costs under the guise of covid ...

either way, likely the reason. 

That said, can we please get Hawk!!? Man, I'd love to hear him call Eloy's homers yesterday. Though - him calling from a studio may be awful ... the "wayyy back, he looks up you can put it on the  .... wait .... yes .... no ..... board!!!! YES!! would be plentiful. he could barely tell in person anymore. Not sure he'd be very good calling a game from a TV. I'd have to think with all the switching in and out they've reached out on the idea. 

Anyone who heard Hawk's HOF speech, or half inning on radio last week, are likely of the opinion he doesn't have the stamina or likely the ability to announce any longer. He can sit in for a few minutes. perhaps tape a little longer interview you can edit / provide breaks, but he doesn't sound like he is in any position to broadcast a game at this point. He's been out of the booth for almost three years, and that final year was just part time.

I hope he is able to continue to enjoy time with his family. It was great he was able to celebrate his induction alive (when many are elected posthumously) and with his family, and visit a full ballpark at least one more time to throw out the first pitch and say hi to some folks. He sounded very appreciative of the past few weeks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

So why are Jason and Steve / tv broadcast not traveling with the team? There seems to be a lot of rumors but has the team given an official reason?

I mean, Jason called Jerry's RSN's decision regarding this "hot garbage" and strictly due to money. The Cubs announcer stated the same thing publicly. Not sure why you are considering this explanation "rumors". Are you expecting Jerry's NBCSCH to release a statement "we are cheap bastards and can't afford a few hotel rooms to send our broadcast crew out to provide a professional broadcast".

Boog Sciambi said it's no longer about safety but about money. Every single RSN that employs MLB broadcasters are using money as a factor and a cop-out right now."

Jason "OK, So Len and DJ have been on the road since May. We have not been on the road AT ALL THIS YEAR. OK, THERE IS YOUR ANSWER. It's cover."

Edited by South Side Hit Men

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I mean, Jason called Jerry's RSN's decision regarding this "hot garbage" and strictly due to money. The Cubs announcer stated the same thing publicly. Not sure why you are considering this explanation "rumors". Are you expecting Jerry's NBCSCH to release a statement "we are cheap bastards and can't afford a few hotel rooms to send our broadcast crew out to provide a professional broadcast".

I actually had not seen that video. I’m not doubting Jason’s account, but for a team to nickel and dime saving, what, $100,000 on flights and hotels? on a payroll of this size seems extraordinarily bewildering.

On 8/10/2021 at 5:28 PM, Greg Hibbard said:

The math implies every single person vaccinated person has been exposed to COVID, and that simply can’t be true. 

It's quickly becoming no longer practical to call it a breakthrough case when the % of new infections from those vaccinated are approaching those that are not vaccinated.  But that's another topic in itself.  

As to JB, sounds like he is feeling better bc he recorded a podcast I think 

5 minutes ago, Moncada said:

It's quickly becoming no longer practical to call it a breakthrough case when the % of new infections from those vaccinated are approaching those that are not vaccinated.  But that's another topic in itself.  

As to JB, sounds like he is feeling better bc he recorded a podcast I think 

They aren't. Its not close. Please try to get out of fantasy land. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Anybody heard any updates on Jason? There's been no mention on the broadcasts as to when he might be back and he hasn't tweeted since right after Thursday's game.

I'm getting worried about him.

Last night they said he should be back hopefully in a few days.