White Sox playoff position tracker

Balta1701

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Seattle (12 1/2 GB) and Toronto (13 1/2 GB) are closer to catching Tampa than San Diego (14 GB) is of catching Los Angeles. They were only 7 back three weeks ago.

For AL Central context, the Sox are only 1 more game ahead of the dead in the water all season Detroit Tigers (15 GB).

A truly epic collapse is possible. The Padres have a heavy Dodgers / Giants schedule (16 games total) plus three vs. Houston to finish the season, and may finish below .500.

I guess the Padres may prove not to be the genius FO organization some here believe them to be.  

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Crazy how the Mariners keep winning.  Awesome they beat the 'Stros for us two days in a row.  I feel the Sox can still get that 2nd seed in the AL.

Yep, that #1 seed looks out of reach but #2 would be nice.  This team does play very good at home.

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

I guess the Padres may prove not to be the genius FO organization some here believe them to be.  

They also pretty effectively reduced their window of being good with all the trades the past couple seasons.  I certainly am happy Hahn & Co didn't operate that way.  

20 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

They also pretty effectively reduced their window of being good with all the trades the past couple seasons.  I certainly am happy Hahn & Co didn't operate that way.  

They really did. I know they still have quite a few good prospects but they really don't have much to trade from anymore and they have some guys you'd expect to start declining in earnest next year.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They really did. I know they still have quite a few good prospects but they really don't have much to trade from anymore and they have some guys you'd expect to start declining in earnest next year.

I mean, they're still good and will be for a few years.  But they traded away ALOT and don't have much to show for it yet.  And its not the young of a team.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, they're still good and will be for a few years.  But they traded away ALOT and don't have much to show for it yet.  And its not the young of a team.  

Will depend on how far they open the pocketbook.

Clevenger comes back next year so the starting pitching should be solidified unless they lose Darvish. 

9/4:

Magic number = 20

Sox and Cleveland both lose, so the lead holds at 9.5. Magic number to eliminate Minnesota is 9.

Tampa leads the Yankees by 6.5, Boston by 8

Houston's lead over Oakland is 5.5 and 6.5 over Seattle.

Sox now 1.5 behind Houston for the 2nd seed and home field advantage for the ALDS.

Yankees now lead Boston by only 1.5 for the first spot, with Boston 3 clear of Oakland for the second spot. Seattle at 4 back and Toronto at 5 back continue to hang at the very edge of the playoff picture.

Over in the National League, the Giants are back to a game lead over the Dodgers. Cincinnati leads San Diego by a half game for the 2nd WC spot with Saint Louis 1.5 back and Philly 2 back. Philly also within 2 of Atlanta for the division lead.

September 3rd update:

American League Central

1. 9 Minnesota
  2. 11 Kansas City
  3. 13 Detroit
  4. 20 Cleveland

MLB Teams eliminated from Division race: Arizona, Pittsburgh, Texas, Baltimore.

MLB Teams in single digits of being eliminated from the Division race: Colorado (4), Chicago Cubs (6), Minnesota (9).

9/5:

Magic number = 18

Sox win Cleveland loses, so the lead is back up to 10.5. Magic number to eliminate Minnesota is 7. Minnesota could be eliminated as early as Wednesday.

Tampa leads the Yankees by 7.5, Boston by 8

Houston's lead over Oakland and Seattle is 5.5.

Sox now 0.5 behind Houston for the 2nd seed and home field advantage for the ALDS.

Yankees now lead Boston by only 0.5 for the first spot, with Boston 4 clear of Oakland and Seattle for the second spot, Toronto at 5 back.

Over in the National League, the Dodgers and Giants flip-flopped spots for the third straight day, with the Dodgers now in front by 0.5. Cincinnati leads San Diego by a half game for the 2nd WC spot with Saint Louis 2.5 back and Philly 3 back. Philly also within 2 of Atlanta for the division lead.

16 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

It unfortunate that we don't seem to care about HFA over Houston. I get rest and all, but the goal is to win a title this year. Guys need to be healthy, but if we don't have HFA over Houston we are most likely one and done again anyway. We aren't close to the same team on the road. 

We're only a half game behind Houston.  Although we will need to have a better record since they won the head to head.

Still tracking the Division as this may be the final year in MLB’s long and glorious history the regular season or division title has any competitive relevancy, if they expand the playoffs to 14/16 teams as expected this offseason.

The Sox clipped two games over all four teams the past two days, and have a solid chance of eliminating Minnesota this weekend. If this pace continues, they will clinch the Division in Cleveland.

1. 7 Minnesota
  2. Kansas City
  3. 11 Detroit
  4. 18 Cleveland
Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I forgot the rules, but if Sox go to the ALCS against a Wild Card team, do they automatically get home field advantage? Because a real possibility the Wild Card team has a better record than them.

Yep. That is why it is important to get that 2 seed. You get HFA over Houston and if the Yankees upset TB (I think they will) then you get it in the ALCS.