White Sox playoff position tracker

Balta1701

9/16:

Magic number = 7

Minnesota has been eliminated. Magic number to eliminate Kansas City is 1, which could happen as early as today.

On Tuesday, the Sox won while Houston and Cleveland both lost. On Wednesday, we got the opposite result in all 3 games. Sox now 2 behind Houston.

In the Wild Card race we still have New York, Toronto and Boston all tied for the 2 spots. Oakland is 3.5 back, Seattle 4 back.

Over in the National League, the Giants are in front of the Dodgers by 1.5, with both having clinched at least a WC spot. St. Louis holds the 2nd WC spot, with San Diego 1 back and Cincinnati 1.5 back. Philly is 3 out of the WC and 3.5 behind Atlanta in the East.

On 9/14/2021 at 8:21 AM, Kyyle23 said:

Blue Jays are just as hot right now as the Yankees were a few weeks ago.  Looks like all AL East in the wildcard (unless A's put it together for a sustained run) and whoever wins faces the Rays.  LET THEM FIGHT

The Jays' hot streak will soon end as the Yankees' did.  Better they get it out of the way in September than October, I say.  I have realized that what TLR is doing is purposely interrupting potential White Sox hot streaks with player rest and weird bullpen decisions so we are sure to hit our streak *only* when the playoffs begin.  Chess, I tell you

11 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Am really tempted, if everything goes right, to go to Yankee Stadium sunday and for the only time in my life, root for the Yankees to beat Cleveland so I can see the Sox clinch in person.

So, even if everything goes perfectly, the Sox magic # at the beginning of the day Sunday is 2 at the lowest. Seeing the Yankees beat Cleveland takes that down to 1, but the Sox game is later in the day so you'd have to get home or to a bar to watch the Sox clinch.

47 minutes ago, Dan Pasqua said:

How many come from behind wins do we have against above .500 teams from the 7th inning on?

The Sox have three come-from-behind wins when down after the seventh inning, two vs. KC (5/16 & 7/27) and one vs. Minnesota (7/20).

The Sox have lost 9 games when leading after 7 innings.

The Sox have played 13 games with a 7 inning regulation.

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Sox have three come-from-behind wins when down after the seventh inning, two vs. KC (5/16 & 7/27) and one vs. Minnesota (7/20).

The Sox have lost 9 games when leading after 7 innings.

The Sox have played 13 games with a 7 inning regulation.

What about the Field of Dreams game?

9/17:

Magic number = 7 (still)

Minnesota and Kansas City have been eliminated. Magic number to eliminate Detroit is 3, which could happen as early as Saturday.

Lost another game to Houston so the Sox are now 3 back. Very unlikely that the Sox get the 2 seed at this point.

In the Wild Card race we have Toronto and Boston tied for the two spots. New York is 0.5 back, Oakland 3 back, Seattle 4 back.

Over in the National League, the Giants are in front of the Dodgers by 1, with both having clinched at least a WC spot. St. Louis holds the 2nd WC spot, with San Diego 0.5 back and Cincinnati 1 back. Philly is 2.5 out of the WC and 3 behind Atlanta in the East.

1 minute ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Sox were ahead after the 7th inning. Didn't fall behind until the 9th.

That seems too specific to be useful as a metric, then, because it's not counting all the times they won after being down in the 7th or later, but rather just in the 7th. Of be more concerned about the former than the latter.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

That seems too specific to be useful as a metric, then, because it's not counting all the times they won after being down in the 7th or later, but rather just in the 7th. Of be more concerned about the former than the latter.

Not sure why one would spike the “comeback”  for a game which they had a lead, pissed it away, and then reclaimed it in the final two innings.
Didn’t count that game among their nine lost games after 7 either, since they didn’t lose. Both stats are consistently derived (games tied after 7 innings omitted, only leads considered (behind or ahead).

50 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Yes, of course -- this is all that matters.  There's no magic to where the score stood precisely in the 7th inning.  The question is how many late-inning come-from-behind wins do we have (i.e. "come from behind wins from the 7th inning on").  Whether we were down in the 7th, 8th, 9th, or extras doesn't matter.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Not sure why one would spike the “comeback”  for a game which they had a lead, pissed it away, and then reclaimed it in the final two innings.
Didn’t count that game among their nine lost games after 7 either, since they didn’t lose. Both stats are consistently derived (games tied after 7 innings omitted, only leads considered (behind or ahead).

I didn't say it was inconsistent, it's definitely consistent. It just doesn't seem to measure what you're trying to measure.

15 minutes ago, flavum said:

Haven’t given it much thought about the Astros getting the 1-seed, but if they rattle off a 13-3 including a couple wins vs the Rays while the Rays go 8-7 or worse, the Sox are headed to Florida. 

I just noted in a different thread that it would be a bad thing to get Tampa in the ALDS. Their rotation is weaker and bullpen is stronger compared to Houston, and it takes a longer series to get to where their bullpen can no longer cover for their starters.

22 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I just noted in a different thread that it would be a bad thing to get Tampa in the ALDS. Their rotation is weaker and bullpen is stronger compared to Houston, and it takes a longer series to get to where their bullpen can no longer cover for their starters.

That said, the White Sox won a game in Tampa this year. They didn't in Houston.

2 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

I didn't say it was inconsistent, it's definitely consistent. It just doesn't seem to measure what you're trying to measure.

Losing nine games when leafing after 7 innings, from a heavily fortified bullpen (Hendriks, Crochet, Kopech, plus the Tepera and Kimbrel trades which produced mixed results) is significant.

Not sure what the OP was trying to measure in terms of comeback wins. I just answered his question by listing the three games the Sox came from behind to win after being down after the seventh inning.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

9/18:

Magic number = 5

Minnesota and Kansas City have been eliminated. Magic number to eliminate Detroit is 1, which could happen as early as this afternoon.

Sox remain 3 back of Houston.

In the Wild Card race Boston is in the first spot 0.5 games ahead of New York in the second spot. Toronto is 0.5 back, Oakland 2.5 back and Seattle 3.5 back.

Over in the National League, the Giants are in front of the Dodgers by 2, with both having clinched at least a WC spot. St. Louis holds the 2nd WC spot, with Cincinnati 1 back and San Diego 1.5 back. Philly is 2.5 out of the WC and 2 behind Atlanta in the East.