White Sox playoff position tracker

Balta1701

17 minutes ago, flavum said:

Red Sox three outs away from losing in Baltimore. That would be huge. Go Mariners and Blue Jays. 

I can't believe they lost to Baltimore with Sale on the mound. It would be something if the Orioles screwed them like they did in 2011. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Astros losing right now.  Still unlikely we can overtake them, but not totally impossible if we can gain a game tonight.

Why is that unlikely? Cincy and Detroit aren’t any good and the Astros have to play Tampa and Oakland. 

everything holds we’re 1.5 back

39 minutes ago, T R U said:

Why is that unlikely? Cincy and Detroit aren’t any good and the Astros have to play Tampa and Oakland. 

everything holds we’re 1.5 back

The Astros have the tie-breaker so we’d effectively be 2.5 games back with 4 / 5 to go.  We either have to go 4-0 and the Astros goes 2-3 or 3-1 and the Astros go 1-4.  It’s theoretically possible, but still going to be a challenge IMO.

Unfortunately the Rays bullpen isn’t doing us any favors right now. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Astros have the tie-breaker so we’d effectively be 2.5 games back with 4 / 5 to go.  We either have to go 4-0 and the Astros goes 2-3 or 3-1 and the Astros go 1-4.  It’s theoretically possible, but still going to be a challenge IMO.

Unfortunately the Rays bullpen isn’t doing us any favors right now. 

Isn’t Oakland going to have nothing to play for also?

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

Isn’t Oakland going to have nothing to play for also?

Well, at the very least the club has woke up and put together 3 good games in a row. Hopefully we can take 3 of the last 4 while taking it easy, but that 2 spot isn't looking very likely after the Astros win. 

Edited by chw42

9/29:

Houston got a walk-off walk last night against Tampa, but Seattle's win over Oakland prevented them from clinching, and Houston's win prevented Tampa from clinching the #1 seed. Houston remains 2.5 ahead of the Sox for the #2 seed.

A wild night in the wild card race saw Chris Sale lose to Baltimore, which leaves Boston now only 0.5 game ahead of Seattle for the 2nd WC spot. New York won at Toronto, which moved the Yankees 2 ahead of Boston and kept the Jays one behind Boston.

In the National League, Atlanta now up 3.5 over Philadelphia in the East, which is now the only NL playoff spot up for grabs as St. Louis locked down the wild card with their 17th straight win. San Francisco and Los Angeles both win to keep the Giants 2 clear of the Dodgers in the NL West.

Key early week series (all through Thursday unless noted otherwise): Oakland at Seattle (ends today), Boston at Baltimore, NY Yankees at Toronto, Philadelphia at Atlanta, Tampa Bay at Houston, Arizona at San Francisco, San Diego at LA Dodgers.

12 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

We blew the 2 seed a while ago. 

That is absolutely correct!! For 2 months, we flat out blew off 10 games.  ( I actually was counting them.) Because our division lead was safe. Not saying we would have won all 10 of course. That would be silly. But say half?  Then where would we be? Just too many games with lineups that included things like Goodwin hitting 5th. 

Edited by Soxsi75

7 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

That is absolutely correct!! For 2 months, we flat out blew off 10 games.  ( I actually was counting them.) Because our division lead was safe. Not saying we would have won all 10 of course. That would be silly. But say half?  Then where would we be? Just two many games with lineups that included things like Goodwin hitting 5th. 

We can still get the 2 seed, just more difficult now. If we win today and Houston loses the next two that would put us 1 game back with 3 more to play. We would than need Houston to lose 2 to Oakland and we would need to sweep Detroit. If not, oh well. Keep winning to stay hot going into the playoffs. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

That is absolutely correct!! For 2 months, we flat out blew off 10 games.  ( I actually was counting them.) Because our division lead was safe. Not saying we would have won all 10 of course. That would be silly. But say half?  Then where would we be? Just two many games with lineups that included things like Goodwin hitting 5th. 

I think you are ignoring the possibility that Houston would be managing games differently if they didn't have a comfortable lead over the Sox for HFA.   They have been putting players on the IL for minor issues as well recently, clearly resting players for the postseason.  3 of their last 4 losses have been one run losses.   It works both ways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThirdGen said:

I think you are ignoring the possibility that Houston would be managing games differently if they didn't have a comfortable lead over the Sox for HFA.   They have been putting players on the IL for minor issues as well recently, clearly resting players for the postseason.  3 of their last 4 losses have been one run losses.   It works both ways.

True, but not for as long. We've been doing it for 2 months. Houston's doing it more recently. 

Here's my way of looking at HFA for a 5 game series:

If a series only goes 3 games, it was an ass kicking and HFA probably had nothing to do with it.

If a series goes 4 games, both teams had two home games so HFA definitely had nothing to do with it.

Only if a series goes 5 games does HFA come into play. Since 2012 that has happened 16 times out of 36 series. So a little less than half the time it even comes into play. But here is the kicker-in the 16 times it has come into play, the team with HFA has only won 6 of those 16 series.

So- why worry?

4 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Here's my way of looking at HFA for a 5 game series:

If a series only goes 3 games, it was an ass kicking and HFA probably had nothing to do with it.

If a series goes 4 games, both teams had two home games so HFA definitely had nothing to do with it.

Only if a series goes 5 games does HFA come into play. Since 2012 that has happened 16 times out of 36 series. So a little less than half the time it even comes into play. But here is the kicker-in the 16 times it has come into play, the team with HFA has only won 6 of those 16 series.

So- why worry?

While I agree with you that it likely isn't that big of a deal, the Sox are 50-27 at home and 40-41 on the road.  so that is why some people are worried.

I care less about the HFA (tho it would have certainly been nice), and more about the Sox just playing good baseball heading into the playoffs.  Last few games have been good, let's keep that rolling. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

While I agree with you that it likely isn't that big of a deal, the Sox are 50-27 at home and 40-41 on the road.  so that is why some people are worried.

I care less about the HFA (tho it would have certainly been nice), and more about the Sox just playing good baseball heading into the playoffs.  Last few games have been good, let's keep that rolling. 

Those are awful splits but I think they can steal one at Enron with Giolito on the hill and then win the 2 back on the South Side to move on to play the Mariners in the ALCS :cool: