White Sox playoff position tracker

Balta1701

35 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Sox have not looked like an elite team for two months now.  Maybe now with a full lineup finally that will change, but I would certainly peg them as rather large under dog on the road against Houston.

Tony will fix it.

Here's another one. I knew we could find one.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If you've following the thread, you'll see it's a running joke about predicting doom in the playoffs.

I just don’t see anything in the post you quoted as “predicting doom.” Calling them underdogs doesn’t seem all that controversial. Nor does it really even matter, obviously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Snopek said:

I just don’t see anything in the post you quoted as “predicting doom.” Calling them underdogs doesn’t seem all that controversial. Nor does it really even matter, obviously.

It's the emphasis on being obvious or heavy underdogs to Houston.  As soon as the next losing streak starts it will turn into this team has no chance and will lose in the first round again.

17 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

To not play Houston, one of these things has to happen:

Oakland makes up their 5.5 game deficit and wins the AL West.

Houston makes up their 5 game deficit and pass Tampa Bay.

Sox make up their 7 game deficit and pass Tampa Bay.

All of those seem really unlikely at this point.

Tampa beat Boston and the Yankees lost last night, so this Sox-Astros matchup is looking more and more likely.

As for who should be favored, look at total team fWAR:

Houston: offense 27.8 (1st), pitching 13.4 (10th), total 41.2

Sox: offense 22.2 (4th), pitching 20.2 (1st), total 42.4

Looks a lot like a tossup to me.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Tampa beat Boston and the Yankees lost last night, so this Sox-Astros matchup is looking more and more likely.

Great job keeping this up to date 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I think Sox/Hou goes to the team with HFA. 

2 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Two absolutely stacked lineups.

I like the Sox SP by a healthy margin.

Which Sox bullpen will we see, the one on paper or the one we've seen on TV? If it's the former, I think the Astros are in for a bad time, home field or not.

58 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Two absolutely stacked lineups.

I like the Sox SP by a healthy margin.

Which Sox bullpen will we see, the one on paper or the one we've seen on TV? If it's the former, I think the Astros are in for a bad time, home field or not.

Yep!  We have the lineup and starting pitching.  If the bullpen shows up we win this thing.

Here we are, it's September.

Magic number = 22

Sox and Cleveland both won last night, so the lead remains at 10.

The AL East is all but over as well. Tampa extended their lead over the Yankees to 8 last night, with Boston 10 back.

Houston's lead over Oakland is 5, not a lock but still comfortable.

Sox now 1.5 back of Houston for the 2nd seed and home field advantage for the ALDS.

As the division races continue to be dull, the wild card chase has gotten white hot.

Yankees now lead Boston by only 2 for the first spot, with Boston only 1 clear of Oakland for the second spot. Seattle at 3.5 back and Toronto at 4.5 back continue to hang at the very edge of the playoff picture.

Over in the National League, the long predicted overtaking of the Giants by the Dodgers is imminent, with the Dodgers now only a half game behind. Both teams are well clear of the rest of the wild card contenders, so neither is in danger of missing out on playoff baseball.

Milwaukee joins the Sox with double digit division leads at 10 over Cincinnati.

Philly has won 5 straight and is now within 2.5 of Atlanta in the East.

Cincinnati and San Diego now tied for the 2nd WC spot, with Philly and St. Louis both 2.5 back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9/2:

Magic number = 21

In case you missed it, KC committed NOBLETIGER in the bottom of the 10th last night, after which Cleveland got 2 in the 11th, so the lead holds at 10.

Tampa leads the Yankees by 7, Boston by 9

Houston's lead over Oakland is 5.

Sox now within a half game of Houston for the 2nd seed and home field advantage for the ALDS.

Yankees now lead Boston by only 2 for the first spot, with Boston 2 clear of Oakland for the second spot. Seattle at 3.5 back and Toronto at 4.5 back continue to hang at the very edge of the playoff picture.

Over in the National League, the Dodgers have finally passed the Giants for the NL West lead. Cincinnati leads San Diego by a half game for the 2nd WC spot with Saint Louis and Philly both 2.5 back.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Damn when I started this thread I though the Dodgers had zero chance of overcoming that lead.

Seattle (12 1/2 GB) and Toronto (13 1/2 GB) are closer to catching Tampa than San Diego (14 GB) is of catching Los Angeles. They were only 7 back three weeks ago.

For AL Central context, the Sox are only 1 more game ahead of the dead in the water all season Detroit Tigers (15 GB).

A truly epic collapse is possible. The Padres have a heavy Dodgers / Giants schedule (16 games total) plus three vs. Houston to finish the season, and may finish below .500.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Seattle (12 1/2 GB) and Toronto (13 1/2 GB) are closer to catching Tampa than San Diego (14 GB) is of catching Los Angeles. They were only 7 back three weeks ago.

For AL Central context, the Sox are only 1 more game ahead of the dead in the water all season Detroit Tigers (15 GB).

A truly epic collapse is possible. The Padres have a heavy Dodgers / Giants schedule (16 games total) plus three vs. Houston to finish the season, and may finish below .500.

Why was this in reply to me?