Cesar Hernandez is getting on base for the Sox

VAfan

He's gone from a .307 OBP with Cleveland to a .409 OBP with the Sox in his first 10 games, drawing 8 walks in that span.  

How does a guy up his walks and on base that quickly?  Did he feel like no one could drive him in in Cleveland, so he started swinging for the long ball and chasing pitches out of the zone? 

His OPS+ went from 97 to 138.  Thats way above any year in his career.  

When you compare it to who the Sox were playing at 2B after Madrigal got hurt, this has been a major upgrade to the lineup.  You can see why LaRussa has him hitting 2nd quite a bit. 

• Like 1

Way too small of a sample size to draw conclusions on why the walks are up...

But it's not too early to be very happy with the way Hernandez has come in and played since the trade. If this is the Ceasar the Sox are getting for the next 1.5 years, he'll out-produce Nicky in his sleep. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, VAfan said:

He's gone from a .307 OBP with Cleveland to a .409 OBP with the Sox in his first 10 games, drawing 8 walks in that span.  

How does a guy up his walks and on base that quickly?  Did he feel like no one could drive him in in Cleveland, so he started swinging for the long ball and chasing pitches out of the zone? 

His OPS+ went from 97 to 138.  Thats way above any year in his career.  

When you compare it to who the Sox were playing at 2B after Madrigal got hurt, this has been a major upgrade to the lineup.  You can see why LaRussa has him hitting 2nd quite a bit. 

He isn't as good as he is currently hitting but he was also getting unlucky with babip in Cleveland (albeit part of that probably was from selling out for power). 

Even in Cleveland he was walking close to 10% and for his career he is a 10% walk guy with a 348 obp. With his current approach he probably isn't a 348 obp guy but I do expect 330-340 with maybe a 105-110 wrc+ the rest of the way to which is fine especially if he keeps the added power. 

Hernandez has been good.  Plays a really solid 2B, and as a 9 hitter, which is what he'll be if this team is healthy in October, you could do so much worse.  I hated the Madrigal/Kimbrel trade, but if Cesar can play like he has for the next 14 months, we'll be just fine at the keystone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bighurt574 said:

Cesar had been playing real well for CLE in the month before the trade and has carried that over (.887 OPS in July vs. .873 with the Sox in August). 

Really got a steal there, with another year of control, and allowed us to part with Madrigal.    

yea what a great find.  Feels like we robbed the Guardians.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Way too small of a sample size to draw conclusions on why the walks are up...

But it's not too early to be very happy with the way Hernandez has come in and played since the trade. If this is the Ceasar the Sox are getting for the next 1.5 years, he'll out-produce Nicky in his sleep. 

He is also a Gold Glove winner, better D as well as power than Madrigal.

2 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

Dude's a ballplayer.  He also hustles as much as Nick.  And his baseball smarts are just much better at this point.  Really good pick up.

Fielding, baserunning, power all better than Madrigal currently. 

And he is the same player from both sides of the plate. 

Very solid pickup by Hahn. 

50 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Fielding, baserunning, power all better than Madrigal currently. 

And he is the same player from both sides of the plate. 

Very solid pickup by Hahn. 

The issue isn't really about the relative performances of Hernandez and Madrigal, it's that Hernandez is only under control through 2022 and Madrigal through 2026.

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

The issue isn't really about the relative performances of Hernandez and Madrigal, it's that Hernandez is only under control through 2022 and Madrigal through 2026.

I'll take Hernandez + Kimbrel for 2 World Series runs vs 5 more seasons of Nick Madrigal .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hernandez has been good.  Plays a really solid 2B, and as a 9 hitter, which is what he'll be if this team is healthy in October, you could do so much worse.  I hated the Madrigal/Kimbrel trade, but if Cesar can play like he has for the next 14 months, we'll be just fine at the keystone. 

Shouldn’t SS be keystone??  Second base is the easiest to replace.  Yes, I rap on Tuesday evenings.  It’s just a hobby of mine, might join soundcloud.  I have a big following on YouTube like 700 subscribers deep 😎