Rodon to IL with Shoulder Fatigue

CentralChamps21

Just now, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I think shelving Rodon for a while is a good idea, but the relievers aren't in danger of being overworked so there was really no reason to have Ruiz pitch in a 0-0 game, and no reason to sit all of TA, Moncada and Robert against a pitcher the Sox had trouble with recently. There needs to be a balance between trying to get home field advantage and keeping players healthy and right now the pendulum is way too far in one direction.

I can't fix TLR, that is a whole other problem. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The odds are WAY better with a healthy roster. Like I can't even believe anyone would think otherwise. 

I can’t fathom how anyone would think that making sure Ruiz gets high pressure work is more important than home field advantage.

46 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I think shelving Rodon for a while is a good idea, but the relievers aren't in danger of being overworked so there was really no reason to have Ruiz pitch in a 0-0 game, and no reason to sit all of TA, Moncada and Robert against a pitcher the Sox had trouble with recently. There needs to be a balance between trying to get home field advantage and keeping players healthy and right now the pendulum is way too far in one direction.

I’m no tlr fan, but he does have the benefit of talking to those guys to see how they feel. maybe guys said they wanted a day. /shrug

15 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

The white Sox have the largest home/road splits of any likely playoff team. While nothing is guaranteed, if there’s ever a team you want having home field advantage in the playoffs it’s this one.

The last time the Sox were a threat to make the playoffs was 2012. That team ran out of gas. With the 60 game season last year, this one can as well, it’s an unknown. It is far better the Sox have to play an extra game on the road in the playoffs and be anywhere near full strength, than have an extra home game and be out of gas. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The last time the Sox were a threat to make the playoffs was 2012. That team ran out of gas. With the 60 game season last year, this one can as well, it’s an unknown. It is far better the Sox have to play an extra game on the road in the playoffs and be anywhere near full strength, than have an extra home game and be out of gas. 

Last years team was DOA as well.

• Haha 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Last years team was DOA as well.

Last year's team had to start a guy with 34 career innings in Game 3 because there were no better options. This year's team has to choose between Lucas Giolito and Dylan Cease for Game 3.

As I said, I'm 100% for giving ReyLo some more starts to keep the starters fresh, but there's still no reason to have Ruiz pitching in a tie game when Kopech, Bummer and Tepera were all available, and there's no reason to sit TA, Moncada and Robert all on the same day, especially vs a pitcher that had recent success against the Sox. None of those guys I just mentioned are in danger of being dead for the playoffs from overuse.

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So why was it ok to warm Kopech up without bringing him in, and then to burn a Kimbrel outing in a game we don’t want to win?

3 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Last year's team had to start a guy with 34 career innings in Game 3 because there were no better options. This year's team has to choose between Lucas Giolito and Dylan Cease for Game 3.

As I said, I'm 100% for giving ReyLo some more starts to keep the starters fresh, but there's still no reason to have Ruiz pitching in a tie game when Kopech, Bummer and Tepera were all available, and there's no reason to sit TA, Moncada and Robert all on the same day, especially vs a pitcher that had recent success against the Sox. None of those guys I just mentioned are in danger of being dead for the playoffs from overuse.

Assuming Dylan Cease doesn't see ill effects for his huge jump in innings.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Every starting pitcher on all 30 teams has a huge jump in innings this year given that nobody got more than 12 starts last year.

He threw 141.1 innings in 2019 and 124 innings in 2018 so he should be as able to handle it as anybody else.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the starters are in this bad of shape then they should have acquired a couple relievers at the trade deadline and stretched out Kopech to give everyone more rest. He needed innings and won’t get them anyway.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If the starters are in this bad of shape then they should have acquired a couple relievers at the trade deadline and stretched out Kopech to give everyone more rest. He needed innings and won’t get them anyway.

I was all for six starters. Obviously with Rodon now hurt that would still require others still to step up.

Kopech is another one that has already been hurt and an innings worry.

It's amazing, conditioning, exercise and nutrition and etc have improved ten fold over the past two decades, but for some reason position players in baseball need 20-30 games of rest per year to stay fresh while their counterparts 20-30 years ago took about 5-10 days off a season. 

Load management for position players in baseball is a load of garbage. Pitchers, because they've become so max effort are a different story.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It's amazing, conditioning, exercise and nutrition and etc have improved ten fold over the past two decades, but for some reason position players in baseball need 20-30 games of rest per year to stay fresh while their counterparts 20-30 years ago took about 5-10 days off a season. 

Load management for position players in baseball is a load of garbage. Pitchers, because they've become so max effort are a different story.

Hitters are max effort as well, hence all the oblique issues.

20-30 games is not really accurate in terms of assigned rest / load management. 1-2 games off per month is reasonable, both then and now.

Abreu, Yoan and Tim are adhering to this. Leury is the hardest working utility man in show business.

Luis didn’t get a day off until he landed on the IL, he likely will play near everyday once he is fully recovered. Engel is also still working toward full strength.

2 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

I have to wonder, would the Sox be better served adding guys in the mold of Buerhle or Maddux rather than a Ryan or Strasburg? 

Or do such pitchers even exist out there anymore?

There certainly aren't any other Greg Maddux-es. But that's because I can't think of any other pitchers like him in my lifetime. 

2 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Every starting pitcher on all 30 teams has a huge jump in innings this year given that nobody got more than 12 starts last year.

He threw 141.1 innings in 2019 and 124 innings in 2018 so he should be as able to handle it as anybody else.

Cease looks built to go 200 innings more than any other starter on the staff.  

His velocity and spin rate are always there and it always look effortless.  

All other starters have shown visible signs of fatigue in various starts/stretches throughout the year.  

Edited by Sambuca

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

For position players it's more the mental break than physical.

Edited by ptatc