Rodon to IL with Shoulder Fatigue

CentralChamps21

59 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It could be they just decided to shut him down and the MRI was for show. You aren't supposed to put uninjured players on the IL. Billy Hamilton is another who probably is healthy enough to play, but they get their money's worth just having him around.

If this was planned, you don’t wind up with a panicked Reynaldo Lopez 3 inning start with only about 30 minutes of notice for him. You have him complain about soreness on his throwing day so you can at least have Lopez (or Jimmy) be prepared for the spot start.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Right. IL stint for Billy at least keeps all the depth around for now. I expect him back September 1st and on the playoff roster.

I hate to see  a player take off 3 weeks from competition but maybe having September to regain his form works. I would rather see  less/shorter  starts  than sitting for a while but we will see. Is beneficial to other guys getting work. 

28 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I hate to see  a player take off 3 weeks from competition but maybe having September to regain his form works. I would rather see  less/shorter  starts  than sitting for a while but we will see. Is beneficial to other guys getting work. 

Rehab assignment for like a week before being activated. It’s not like he’s a good hitter anyway. He’s only there for defense and speed.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

If this was planned, you don’t wind up with a panicked Reynaldo Lopez 3 inning start with only about 30 minutes of notice for him. You have him complain about soreness on his throwing day so you can at least have Lopez (or Jimmy) be prepared for the spot start.

Or you do exactly that to make sure you give the right impression. I don't know - but one thing i wondered is after what is going on with the Bulls (and Ball tampering) would the Sox just make sure to not rub anything in here with Rodon. That was always my hope (that they just wanted to make everything look right)  but he did have those games where his velocity was down and he had thrown a ton of innings. Either way - good that the MRI was clean. 

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Or you do exactly that to make sure you give the right impression. I don't know - but one thing i wondered is after what is going on with the Bulls (and Ball tampering) would the Sox just make sure to not rub anything in here with Rodon. That was always my hope (that they just wanted to make everything look right)  but he did have those games where his velocity was down and he had thrown a ton of innings. Either way - good that the MRI was clean. 

One problem with surprising Rodon with an IL trip…Rodon has to be in on it. You can’t hypnotize him to convince him he has shoulder soreness.

• Like 1

Probably every pitcher has had soreness by this point. A panicked start may be exactly what they wanted to give Lopez. Give him no time to think about it.

One thing I was reading about Lopez is that it took him a while to adapt to the changes they made with him, and he is all good now. Hopefully it worked, because he looks really good.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:17 PM, NWINFan said:

I agree also. I don't believe in "Sunday lineups."

Yet, players still need rest. One reason the Cubs faded in 1969 is that Durocher played his starters constantly. Randy Hundley caught 151 games and by September, he was spent. Kessinger played in 158 games and he also looked spent by September. The Mets got really hot, but physically the Cubs were in bad shape. But a manager can rest starters without out and out conceding games.

Had no idea Hundley caught that many games in 69 but I do know I relished every second of the Cubs fading down the stretch, there were a lot of Brickhouse "oh brothers" in  September.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Reylo is part of the magic plan. Need one more pitcher to step up. 

17 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Had no idea Hundley caught that many games in 69 but I do know I relished every second of the Cubs fading down the stretch, there were a lot of Brickhouse "oh brothers" in  September.

Wonder what Brickhouse said when Black Cat went into Cubs dugout.  I saw it live, never to be forgotten.

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Rodon hadn't even had an MRI yet when they put him on the IL. He wasn't concerned at all. Maybe just some rest for a guy who hasn't logged innings in years. 

This is exactly what I suspected and what I have been expecting to happen at some point this season.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Yes

So if I thought the Sox and Billy Hamilton has some sort of backroom/handshake deal to IL him over a nagging injury that he could be playing through to keep him on the roster/with the team, what would you think given your experience? 

17 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The league requires the team doctor and MLB medical director to certify each injury. The thing is, no one is going to turn you in because, especially with a 10 day IL now, every team wants to do it. And from what I read, no pitcher's MRI ever comes back totally clean. 

It's basically like me going to CityMD (Urgent care) and saying, "Hey I don't feel good, write me a note"