Rodon to IL with Shoulder Fatigue

CentralChamps21

Thinking out loud here but is it possible that having to swing the bat contributed to this?  I know one of deGrom's numerous IL trips was caused by having to swing the bat and then he complained about soreness in his arm.  Carlos likely hasn't taken any at bats for at least three years now, probably four?  His velocity was great on Saturday.  He was still touching 97 when he came out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Thinking out loud here but is it possible that having to swing the bat contributed to this?  I know one of deGrom's numerous IL trips was caused by having to swing the bat and then he complained about soreness in his arm.  Carlos likely hasn't taken any at bats for at least three years now, probably four?  His velocity was great on Saturday.  He was still touching 97 when he came out.

I'm gonna go with a guy that has had shoulder surgery is just hurt and/or has too much inflation to pitch right now.  Sucks.

4 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

I think it's the fact he has pitched over double the amount of innings he had pitched the previous 2 seasons combined. It's amazing to me he still can do what he did on Sunday. I just hope everything is OK, he gets a break, and comes back strong. 

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is exactly why give Rodon a big multi year deal is absurd. 

not absurd at all. what you'd want to do is find the market value. he has the pedigree to pitch like a $30mm a year pitcher. You balance that by injury history and track record. I think there's a market value in there of something like $15mm a year for 4-5. You get a discount on price and on years and it's win/win for everybody. I'd do 4/70mm personally. if you get a healthy version for 75% of the time you get a decent value.

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Revisionist history is always wrong. We just had a poll here that asked

Should Rodon be shut down for an extended period? 77.66% of responders said NO.

"Should he be shut down" and "do we expect the Sox to shut him down" are two completely different things, chief.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Who says Kopech doesn't have a tired arm too ? He's pitched less than Rodon in the last 2 years and although he's pitched less than Rodon this year the fatigue could still be there .

Kopech is a going to be SP.  He has thrown 45 innings this year and is one pace to throw 65 innings.  Rodon has thrown 110 innings.  If Kopech has any prayer of starting next year, he absolutely should be taking at least a handful of starts down the stretch.  Hope the Sox do that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Kopech is a going to be SP.  He has thrown 45 innings this year and is one pace to throw 65 innings.  Rodon has thrown 110 innings.  If Kopech has any prayer of starting next year, he absolutely should be taking at least a handful of starts down the stretch.  Hope the Sox do that.  

You also said ride Rodon hard .

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

LOL OK So saying he shouldn't be shut down is somehow smarter  ?

Is something the matter with you?

How do you not see the difference?

I may expect the Sox to shut down a pitcher, but do I believe they should? The last time out, Rodon was throwing 99 vs the Cubs. I'd much rather the Sox have homefield in October than not, so yes, I expected the Sox to do this but I don't necessarily agree with it.

Do you comprehend now?

28 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You know where my vote was.

Would actually love Lopez/Kopech to get a few innings each during these starts to get some innings under Michael's belt. While this is expected, it 100% eliminates the Sox from Home Field advantage....so good luck winning playoff series outside of Chicago. they will have to earn their world series birth in the ALCS. 

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You also said ride Rodon hard .

Yeah.  I would ride Rodon hard because I have no interest in paying him after this eseason.  If the IL stint is simply to give him 10 days off....I think its a good move.  If he's actually hurt, well that's a big time bummer, but I am far from surprised.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Would actually love Lopez/Kopech to get a few innings each during these starts to get some innings under Michael's belt. While this is expected, it 100% eliminates the Sox from Home Field advantage....so good luck winning playoff series outside of Chicago. they will have to earn their world series birth in the ALCS. 

Is World Series HFA this year back to whoever has better record? 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah.  I would ride Rodon hard because I have no interest in paying him after this eseason.  If the IL stint is simply to give him 10 days off....I think its a good move.  If he's actually hurt, well that's a big time bummer, but I am far from surprised.  

Riding Rodon hard would've surely meant not having him for the post season. How does that make any sense at all ? It was never just about just having no interest in having him next year.

35 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Skipping a start is not an extended period. 

6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

WOW.

• Thanks 1