AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I had to use the internet to find out what an Everton is.  Soxtalk is very educational.

Bit like being a White Sox fan , most of the time :P, another season of hope and misery about to begin this weekend .

• Like 1

I wonder if this game will be on the ump scorecard Twitter account since there was no on screen zone to refer to, or if they will guesstimate.  Either way the zone was nose to toes and the left side of the plate sometimes extended four inches and sometimes it didn't 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

I wonder if this game will be on the ump scorecard Twitter account since there was no on screen zone to refer to, or if they will guesstimate.  Either way the zone was nose to toes and the left side of the plate sometimes extended four inches and sometimes it didn't 

Seemed like we got like two calls all game and the Yankees got two calls every inning - sometimes within a single at bat.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Hendriks struck out the side so his stuff was fine. I say rust played a factor. 

Same. 
I also wouldn't mind of they played match-ups more. If Hendriks would have more success against the expected guys in the 8th, than Kimbrel. Pitch him then.

20 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I hope that is the reason for such a pathetic effort.  No matter how you look at it...6 blown saves are not very good.

What's funny is everyone now wants Kimbrel to close. The same guy they were questioning after his first outing with the team. Hendriks is pretty awesome. 

Of course if the White Sox front office listened to Soxtalk, Heuer or some injured guy would be the closer, Garrett Richards would be pitching in Rodon's spot and Jason Heyward would be in RF, which would have prevented them from taking on any money at the deadlne.

Edited by Dick Allen

1 hour ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Same. 
I also wouldn't mind of they played match-ups more. If Hendriks would have more success against the expected guys in the 8th, than Kimbrel. Pitch him then.

Agree.  Would also combined with rust, this was possibly the worst matchup Liam could get.  Judge and Stanton are two amazing power hitters.  Judge feasts on fastballs.  I think Kimbrell's knuckle curve likely would have been a better matchup against them.

Edited by Colome's Hat
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I hope that is the reason for such a pathetic effort.  No matter how you look at it...6 blown saves are not very good.

And 10 HR allowed in 49.2 IP. As good as he's been in general, 1.8 HR/9 is a recipe for some very stressful playoffs.

11 minutes ago, skooch said:

And 10 HR allowed in 49.2 IP. As good as he's been in general, 1.8 HR/9 is a recipe for some very stressful playoffs.

His stats say you can manage around that, and the playoffs may actually help. He isn’t bad but is iffy on the second night of a back to back, and he has been destroyed 2 of the 3 times this year he had 5+ days of rest. When he’s getting regular work, every other day or couple days, he has just over a .500 OPS against him. A spread out series with extra off days is well set up for these splits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Hendriks struck out the side so his stuff was fine. I say rust played a factor. 

Rust and terrible pitch selection. I'm not sure why we kept thinking we can get Judge out on high and outside fastballs in the zone. The dude is 6'7 with like a 7'0 wingspan. His plate coverage is insane. Letting him just extend his arms on velocity is incredibly dumb, especially when you already went to that pitch once in both at bats that he homered in. 

I'm also sure Liam didn't want to hang the slider to Stanton, but I think you gotta realize that Stanton's bat speed isn't what it used to be. If anything, you challenge Stanton with velocity and you don't speed his bat up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

I was thinking maybe the altered angle threw our perception off, but the zone did seem to change throughout the game.  

Edited by Leonard Zelig

13 hours ago, TheTruth05 said:

They should have a MVP trophy and give it to Tim. A golden corn or something like that

The MVP trophy is Kevin Costner. He lives with the winner for a year, wandering aimlessly around their backyard while dropping movie quotes.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

His stats say you can manage around that, and the playoffs may actually help. He isn’t bad but is iffy on the second night of a back to back, and he has been destroyed 2 of the 3 times this year he had 5+ days of rest. When he’s getting regular work, every other day or couple days, he has just over a .500 OPS against him. A spread out series with extra off days is well set up for these splits.

Liam Hendriks 2021 stats  by "calendar days between appearances".

image.png

The bottom (empty) row is the first game of the season and the entry for "6" is last night where as noted above, I've defined "DaysRest" as the number of calendar days between appearances. Unless I've made a mistake with the data, I don't really think the data supports the 5+ days part of your thesis. If by "5+" you literally mean five whole days of rest and then pitching on the 6th+ day following, then you've limited yourself to only 2 data points comprising 2 IP). He has been a perfectly cromulent pitcher in all but one of those appearances (again, not accounting for the first game of the season vs. LAA). However, what you said about back-to-back games seems to be valid. Perhaps having such potentially high-leverage situations in a short period of time in the playoffs is exactly why the FO felt the need to make the move for Kimbrel.

1 minute ago, skooch said:

Liam Hendriks 2021 stats  by "calendar days between appearances".

image.png

The bottom (empty) row is the first game of the season and the entry for "6" is last night where as noted above, I've defined "DaysRest" as the number of calendar days between appearances. Unless I've made a mistake with the data, I don't really think the data supports the 5+ days part of your thesis. If by "5+" you literally mean five whole days of rest and then pitching on the 6th+ day following, then you've limited yourself to only 2 data points comprising 2 IP). He has been a perfectly cromulent pitcher in all but one of those appearances (again, not accounting for the first game of the season vs. LAA). However, what you said about back-to-back games seems to be valid. Perhaps having such potentially high-leverage situations in a short period of time in the playoffs is exactly why the FO felt the need to make the move for Kimbrel.

What's the "Empty"? B-R had that classified as a second outing on 6 days of rest. 

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

With seven teams fighting over that same territory (hence the blackouts for Sox, Cubs, Cards, Brewers, Twins, Royals, Rockies to a much lesser extent)…they will never give it to the White Sox every season, despite the obvious connections to Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Manfred already announced there will be at least one more game next season with two new teams…if it’s one of those Midwest franchises along with the Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Mets, or maybe they will have the defending World Series champ come back against the team with the best record in 2022?

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/08/12/mlb-tv-blackouts-commissioner-rob-manfred-field-of-dreams-game-top-priority-major-league-baseball/8111648002/

Then there would only be one new team 😏

Still get chills watching the HR from last night.

It would have been awesome to hear Jason call that.  Joe Buck actually called it pretty well; much more enthusiasm than Konerko's slam or Pods' walk-off.  But Kasper's call is superb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

This post is sexy.