Jump to content
southsider2k5

AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

Recommended Posts

4D chess by Miguel Cairo, having Liam dramatically blow the save just to have Seby "I'm The New Backup" Zavala walk ahead of the Tim "I'm The New Face of MLB" Anderson home run?  He is learning from TLR!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know they said that home plate umpire was from Iowa....but any chance he moved to the Bronx when he was 2 years old?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, greg775 said:

It was a great night for baseball for sure. Not even the biggest cynic around would dispute it was baseball's greatest night in a long time. White Sox-Yankees was perfect opponent. If they are going to do this again next year, it won't be the same. The stuff with Costner that was so special would be dumb in year two.

Also the teams should be ones that have been around forever. I'd say Boston Red Sox vs. Cardinals would be a good one. This worked so well I'd let the big market Red Sox follow the Yankees. Then in year three, Cubs vs. Detroit.

Or to stay with the movie keep the Sox as the home team each year. Plus it’s an easy flight into Chicago for the rest of the homestand. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, wegner said:

I know they said that home plate umpire was from Iowa....but any chance he moved to the Bronx when he was 2 years old?

Cubs’ fan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every one of Michael Kopech's pitches is a strikeout pitch.

I love it when he throws his slider until the hitter gets 2 strikes, then gives them the 100 mph on the inside corner and the hitter just freezes in place helplessly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Too bad Prince isn't around to re-release that one...

 

https://www.mlb.com/news/commissioner-rob-manfred-on-field-of-dreams-game

Seems they're already committed to having another Field of Dreams game in 2022, two new teams not yet announced...one would think the Cubs/Cardinals would be a distinct possibility, with the Brewers, Royals, Twins likely on the outside looking in.  That said, the Cubs are going to be pretty terrible for the next 2-3 seasons so maybe they go with the Brewers vs. the Twins?   Or possibly Brewers/Cards?   Of course, that doesn't feel quite as "special" since they already play 19 times.

Or they can go with coastal teams like the Mets, Red Sox, Giants, Dodgers, Padres, etc.   Not quite as convenient from a travel/scheduling standpoint...although it works out if you plug that rainout date the following day into the schedule as a cushion.

MLB had the Sox and Yankees playing at Minnesota and KC before traveling to Iowa, which made the trip as easy as possible. If they want to have NL teams next play there next year, they can have them play in St. Louis and Milwaukee the series before to make for a similar trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Or to stay with the movie keep the Sox as the home team each year. Plus it’s an easy flight into Chicago for the rest of the homestand. 

With seven teams fighting over that same territory (hence the blackouts for Sox, Cubs, Cards, Brewers, Twins, Royals, Rockies to a much lesser extent)…they will never give it to the White Sox every season, despite the obvious connections to Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Manfred already announced there will be at least one more game next season with two new teams…if it’s one of those Midwest franchises along with the Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Mets, or maybe they will have the defending World Series champ come back against the team with the best record in 2022?

 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/08/12/mlb-tv-blackouts-commissioner-rob-manfred-field-of-dreams-game-top-priority-major-league-baseball/8111648002/

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although Kopech shouldn't have shown up the umpire on the (blatant) strike three missed call, I loved seeing his passion last night.  That was the most animated I've seen him on the mound.

He was definitely rattled after the bad call, and Cairo made the right decision to pull him.  But the dude has absolutely filthy stuff, and he's going to be a star.

Aside from Liam blowing the save, it was cool to see guys like Abreu, Eloy, Kopech, Bummer, Kimbrel, and TA get the national spotlight.  This team is dynamic and will be a force to be reckoned with for a few years.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yowzer that was exiting , I actually whooped when Tim hit that ball , I only do that when watching Everton  :shades

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bazox said:

Yowzer that was exiting , I actually whooped when Tim hit that ball , I only do that when watching Everton  :shades

So just last night really.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

So just last night really.

Yep not much whooping goes on in this blue house :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feels like Kimbrel will end up being the 9th inning guy eventually. Might be better - Liam can be used more often and for longer if that’s the case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ron883 said:

So... Were the balls juiced for this game?

Everyone knows when the wind is blowing out in Dyersville that place is a bandbox, Ron.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Feels like Kimbrel will end up being the 9th inning guy eventually. Might be better - Liam can be used more often and for longer if that’s the case.

That’s a big gamble to think that Hendriks can go back to set up for one season plus, then magically return to closing again in 2023-24.  Not sure what choice Hahn has here, he basically is committed to keeping Kimbrel around next season.

Maybe (only) if the Sox won the World Series fans wouldn’t freak out about Kimbrel’s status for 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Feels like Kimbrel will end up being the 9th inning guy eventually. Might be better - Liam can be used more often and for longer if that’s the case.

That’s a big gamble to think that Hendriks can go back to set up for one season plus, then magically return to closing again in 2023-24.  Not sure what choice Hahn has here, he basically is committed to keeping Kimbrel around next season.

Maybe (only) if the Sox won the World Series fans wouldn’t freak out about Kimbrel’s status for 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marqhead said:

I like DJs tribute to Farmio “light

it up!”

Just listened....I'm gonna steal a line from Kevin Costner...that was perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Feels like Kimbrel will end up being the 9th inning guy eventually. Might be better - Liam can be used more often and for longer if that’s the case.

Bah, you can’t give your closer 6 days off and then put them out in a save situation without a day in mop up duty to work off the rust first. I feel like we’ve been watching closers implode when they get too much rest for 30 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bazox said:

Yowzer that was exiting , I actually whooped when Tim hit that ball , I only do that when watching Everton  :shades

I had to use the internet to find out what an Everton is.  Soxtalk is very educational.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anderson's bat drop and lean when he hit that looked like a reverse Griffey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Anderson's bat drop and lean when he hit that looked like a reverse Griffey

Didn't do the customary bat flip, instead he used Grandal's move, which looks just as cool

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Bah, you can’t give your closer 6 days off and then put them out in a save situation without a day in mop up duty to work off the rust first. I feel like we’ve been watching closers implode when they get too much rest for 30 years.

Definitely too long to keep him off, but I think Liam is a guy who can pitch multiple innings/days in a row. The way TLR uses his pen, that makes Liam a perfect 7-8 guy on this team. This team. This year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

With seven teams fighting over that same territory (hence the blackouts for Sox, Cubs, Cards, Brewers, Twins, Royals, Rockies to a much lesser extent)…they will never give it to the White Sox every season, despite the obvious connections to Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Manfred already announced there will be at least one more game next season with two new teams…if it’s one of those Midwest franchises along with the Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Mets, or maybe they will have the defending World Series champ come back against the team with the best record in 2022?

 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/baseball/2021/08/12/mlb-tv-blackouts-commissioner-rob-manfred-field-of-dreams-game-top-priority-major-league-baseball/8111648002/

I guess Ross let it out of the bag that the Cubs will be in it next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Did they ever explain why Engel was taken out? Is it just because L Garcia has to play every game?

Groin soreness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Did they ever explain why Engel was taken out? Is it just because L Garcia has to play every game?

groin. Day to day...which means probably 10 day IL knowing Adam this season

Edited by EloyJenkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×