FoD Game Breaks Fox 25 year regular season advertising revenue record

caulfield12

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It is Cubs vs Reds it sounds like. Or red Sox vs braves. Those are the two whose schedule lines up

The timing is right for breaking up the dog days of August…not having to compete with anything but pre-season NFL, but the heat and humidity are pretty oppressive this time of year.  Probably helped to have a lot of open air and less concrete.  That said, made for a lot of fun with homers disappearing into the corn as opposed to a pitcher’s duel.   1-0 with a walk off like the Blackout Game would have been cool, too.   But the ebbs and flows of momentum made it so much more memorable.

I guess you used to have the Cedar Rapids Reds as well, they had guys like Paul O’Neill and Eric Davis.

10 hours ago, Quin said:

They should do more special games, but not all at the Field of Dreams site. Like old teams with old uniforms would be cool, but ... Padres-Rays would be stupid, even if they're two very exciting teams. But if they found cool sites that made sense, they should go for it with these alternate site games for teams.

I know the Barons play in the Rickwood Classic, but it'd be a lot more exciting if the Sox wore Black Barons jerseys and the Royals were the Monarchs.

Finding somewhere in Brooklyn would be a logistical nightmare - really only Cyclones Park (the Mets minor league team) or a temporary stadium in Prospect Park (which would cause an uproar) make sense - but the Dodgers/Giants having a return to New York might capture some of the same magic. I see Brooklyn Dodgers gear around here plenty.

Do more cool-ass games in non-MLB stadiums with high production value. Sell advertising to placate the owners. The game gets to go places it doesn't normally. Everyone wins.

Dodgers Giants in Brooklyn would be awesome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

Sadly, it will go down hill from here. Forget the quality of the game. The events surrounding the game will never be as good as the first one. Costner's entrance was dramatic but can't be recreated with the same affect. Seeing the stadium for the second, fifth, or tenth time won't be as emotional. Players in throwback uniforms. Quant after a while. 

I think they should do it every 5 years or something.  

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

With 3D printing, they could recreate mini versions of those old iconic stadiums like Ebbets Field or The Polo Grounds…Forbes Field in Pittsburgh for Roberto Clemente Day, etc. 

Man just an amazing caulfield post here.

10 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think they should do it every 5 years or something.  

I was just thinking by rotating teams I’m certain there will always be some fans really into it. I don’t think I would have been nearly as excited if it was two NL teams.  

Plus future technology will really make this special. In fifty years imagine the fun of having the holograms of the 2005 White Sox play the holograms of the 2016 Cubs. 

I had a great experience watching the game -- well obviously --- but after the game.  My 8 year old daughter watched the game with me, and after watching Tim's hr about 100 times, she started asking questions about him and other guys on the team,  she just wanted to know their stories.  Then after talking about some of the Sox guys, she just asked, "can you tell me more baseball stories?"

It was a magical moment for me.  Really amazing.  And while she has always enjoyed watching games with me, I think this game, could really be the start of her loving the game.  She was so bummed the Sox didn't play yesterday.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bmags said:

It’s crazy to me that mlb hasn’t made a hall of fame game in cooperstown.

They used to have those old timer’s games in conjunction with the MLB All Star games going back to the 1980’s…maybe something similar.

Logistically, a lot of the same issues with getting to Dyersville as Cooperstown.