FoD Game Breaks Fox 25 year regular season advertising revenue record

caulfield12

For the Field of Dreams, it really should involve the White Sox.  They did have players from other teams in the film, but Shoeless Joe was the key.  

Saw a graphic last night on the broadcast.  This was the 15th time a Sox walkoff homer beat the Yanks. Shoeless Joe hit the first one. 

26 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

I'm glad our game was the first and that is was a memorable one, but based on the results this will definitely turn into the MLB's version of the Winter Classic. 

They should do more special games, but not all at the Field of Dreams site. Like old teams with old uniforms would be cool, but ... Padres-Rays would be stupid, even if they're two very exciting teams. But if they found cool sites that made sense, they should go for it with these alternate site games for teams.

I know the Barons play in the Rickwood Classic, but it'd be a lot more exciting if the Sox wore Black Barons jerseys and the Royals were the Monarchs.

Finding somewhere in Brooklyn would be a logistical nightmare - really only Cyclones Park (the Mets minor league team) or a temporary stadium in Prospect Park (which would cause an uproar) make sense - but the Dodgers/Giants having a return to New York might capture some of the same magic. I see Brooklyn Dodgers gear around here plenty.

Do more cool-ass games in non-MLB stadiums with high production value. Sell advertising to placate the owners. The game gets to go places it doesn't normally. Everyone wins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ross spoiled that the Cubs will be in it 

I initially thought the Cubbies but they are going to be so awful for awhile that I thought they might avoid them.  If they are going Cubs, I would go them against the Cardinals.  If they do go with the Dodgers...they should wear the Brooklyn uniforms imo.

18 minutes ago, raBBit said:

It's Cubs and Cardinals next year. The Cubs will lose over 90 games and the Cardinals will be mediocre. Their teams and fanbases win and no one else does. 

I'm sure the Sox don't want to do it back to back years, and I don't think they're lined up with the NLC next year but Sox Brewers would be ace

6 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Ick.  Not even from an "I really hate the Cubs" perspective.  But they'll be so bad, and lacking in any recognizable names.  

I'm sure they will sign a bunch of stop gaps to one year deals (possibly with an option) to try to flip at the deadline. It's definitely not going to be pretty.

Edited by manbearpuig

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

It's Cubs and Cardinals next year. The Cubs will lose over 90 games and the Cardinals will be mediocre. Their teams and fanbases win and no one else does. 

A guy with the production crew yesterday told me it would be Cubs and Reds. No idea if he knew for sure or not, but would make sense given the Reds were rumored for this game.

Sadly, it will go down hill from here. Forget the quality of the game. The events surrounding the game will never be as good as the first one. Costner's entrance was dramatic but can't be recreated with the same affect. Seeing the stadium for the second, fifth, or tenth time won't be as emotional. Players in throwback uniforms. Quant after a while. 

• Like 4

I'm OK with them continuing it. For a little while atleast.

It won't match the first time, it cant and that's great.

Being from Iowa I know cubbie fans would riot if two other teams get it. MLB team allegiances here are like 65 % or more Cub fans, maybe15% Cardinal fans and like 10% other teams. Just top of my head guess. Some Twins fans that I rib which is fun. A few Royals fans who I think are admirable. 

Edited by Angel Hernandez

7 hours ago, Quin said:

They should do more special games, but not all at the Field of Dreams site. Like old teams with old uniforms would be cool, but ... Padres-Rays would be stupid, even if they're two very exciting teams. But if they found cool sites that made sense, they should go for it with these alternate site games for teams.

I know the Barons play in the Rickwood Classic, but it'd be a lot more exciting if the Sox wore Black Barons jerseys and the Royals were the Monarchs.

Finding somewhere in Brooklyn would be a logistical nightmare - really only Cyclones Park (the Mets minor league team) or a temporary stadium in Prospect Park (which would cause an uproar) make sense - but the Dodgers/Giants having a return to New York might capture some of the same magic. I see Brooklyn Dodgers gear around here plenty.

Do more cool-ass games in non-MLB stadiums with high production value. Sell advertising to placate the owners. The game gets to go places it doesn't normally. Everyone wins.

With 3D printing, they could recreate mini versions of those old iconic stadiums like Ebbets Field or The Polo Grounds…Forbes Field in Pittsburgh for Roberto Clemente Day, etc. 

Outside of Costner, it would be really forcing things to top that…

1) Janes Earl Jones returning from frail health to give his iconic baseball speech

2) Frank Whaley returning to cross baseline as Moonlight Doc Graham…changing from doctor’s outfit to old Giants jersey

3) Little girl who choked on the hot dog returning with Amy Cusack and Timothy Busfield

4)  Costner driving VW bus with J.E. Jones up to field

5)  Recreating the “have a catch” scene (that doesn’t work with both actors older now)

But I would suggest fathers of the players (or their most impactful coaches) doing it with their sons instead…

6) Something with distant relatives of Joe Jackson and him being announced into HoF (that will never happen)

7) Family members of Black Sox if White Sox ever return

Another one would be a celebrity charity game with all the players wearing throwback jerseys for Make A Wish Foundation or whatever appropriate charity they selected.

Ed Harris doing the voices…that would be weird, other than the “if you build it, they will come” one.

Starting the game later at night and having all the headlights showing as they slice through the cornfields in one long traffic jam to enter…

Kansas City will probably be thinking of one more directly tied to their Negro Leagues museum…and RBI/ACE youth programs.

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

A guy with the production crew yesterday told me it would be Cubs and Reds. No idea if he knew for sure or not, but would make sense given the Reds were rumored for this game.

It is Cubs vs Reds it sounds like. Or red Sox vs braves. Those are the two whose schedule lines up