Engel to IL (Again), Foster down, Burr/Wright Up. Burdi DFA

Capn12

57 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

Generally I agree, but if you draft a reliever in the first round, you better hit on them, otherwise you definitely deserve some criticism. 

I think if they don’t start out so hot that season, they don’t take a reliever that high. Wasn’t the thought at that time that he could make an impact later in the year? Of course they faded mid-season so it would have been unnecessary to call him up. And then of course injuries.

1 hour ago, gusguyman said:

Generally I agree, but if you draft a reliever in the first round, you better hit on them, otherwise you definitely deserve some criticism. 

I agree with this statement, even more in the MLB you need to take best talent available, damn with position. Taking a RP you BETTER at least get mediocre MLB player out of that 1st pick. 

9 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

So Hahn decided it wasn't worth going after a Bryant or Gallo at the trade deadline.

How do you know he didn't try to trade for either?

Bryant cost the Giants the FV equivalent of Crochet + Sheets. That's a lot for an injury prone rental

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I get Burdi has been horrible, but dropping him over someone like Rutherford is crazy to me.  Also, with Collins falling apart, Madrigal traded, and Rodon potentially leaving after this season, perhaps Hahn shouldn’t have been hyping all those 1st round contributors.

Absolutely 100% this! I agree - to soon on Burdi. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Blew a game in the College World Series right after we drafted him.  Jerky motion, downhill to this DFA.  It was time to admit the bad draft pick and say bye.  Success somewhere else?  Think learn the knuckleball or else they're hiring at Menards.

Interesting considering Louisville didn't even make the CWS in 2016

Kinda sad about Burdi. Hope he stays in the org. Know he’s been a dumpster fire since the injuries but you can’t teach that arm.  Echo the confusion on why he’s the guy when Rutherford, Mercedes and Adolfo have no future in this org. The first being the easy DFA imo. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Kinda sad about Burdi. Hope he stays in the org. Know he’s been a dumpster fire since the injuries but you can’t teach that arm.  Echo the confusion on why he’s the guy when Rutherford, Mercedes and Adolfo have no future in this org. The first being the easy DFA imo. 

Fully agree.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Rutherford has been on a nice little run in AAA over the past month and change. Mercedes has shown his ability in the majors before and Adolfo has that power you can't just replicate. There aren't easy decisions when your team is good ... this ain't the 2015 white sox anymore. We have decisions to make and they're just going to get harder as we get better. its a good problem. 

41 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Rutherford has been on a nice little run in AAA over the past month and change. Mercedes has shown his ability in the majors before and Adolfo has that power you can't just replicate. There aren't easy decisions when your team is good ... this ain't the 2015 white sox anymore. We have decisions to make and they're just going to get harder as we get better. its a good problem. 

I didn’t say it wasn’t a good problem. But Rutherford has 0% chance of surviving the offseason on the 40 man and Adolfo is out of options. Mercedes is a distant third on that list but I can basically promise you his days in a Sox uni are over. He’ll be traded early offseason. 

Burdi just seemed like he should at least survive Rutherford and Adolfo. I quite obviously don’t have the benefit of being around these guys daily so it’s not like I have the means to make a better decision. It’s just a head scratcher.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bmags said:

Wright has really dominated in AAA and he just had such a bad few innings in our first ST game that I ignored it which is why I'm actually intrigued here. It's the "hey that may have mattered" signal.

Burdi man. Seeing what happened to his brother and how bad he has been post TJS, just seems like they weren't capable of doing to their arms what they were capable of doing to their arms.

I am biased because I watched Wright pitch at ECU in college. He has had his moments over the years. Not many, but he went to Korea during Covid and pitched and did pretty well. Happy to see him get another shot. Maybe he learned some things in Korea

• Like 1