That's a that'll do Liam White Sox Victory

wegner

DJ mentioned adjustments with Liam’s slider worked on in a bullpen yesterday. Hope that is all that was needed to get him back on track.

Kudos again to Tony for using Kopech for two innings. Hope he would have done the same if it were still tied (pulling Keuchel after 5 w no “win” opportunity and no “hold” for Kopech). Kopech should be able to handle two inning outings twice a week from here on out.

Keuchel battled back after a very shaky first time through the order.

Tomorrow will be harder with Bassitt on the mound and heavy bullpen usage with Reynaldo likely limited to 3-4 innings at this point.

Cheers!

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 2

man what a joy to have the announcers we have. I just sat back and enjoyed the game. Love how the crowd this year is as loud with 20k or 40k and that is a compliment.

I just love seeing this from robert. And man, please board, ban me if I don't go see Luis Robert in person soon. It kills me I still haven't seen him live, I gotta get on this.

• Like 2

Also, while he made it a bit interesting, Kimbrel's fastball is up to 97.  While I think we will see him close before the season is out, it's smart of Tony and was likely at Kimbrel's behest to give him as many 8th inning opportunities as possible.  Kimbrel is very routine orientated and likely needed to settle into that role a bit.

I have to hand it to Keuchel.  After an ugly 1st, he settled down and pitched well the rest of the way.  Smart move by TLR to pull him after 5 and let the Pony Tail Gang handle things.  Kopech, Kimbrel, and Hendriks all did their jobs.  Four innings, 9K, 1 BB, 1 H.  That'll work...every damn time.

Luis "I Don't Need Two Hands" Robert with the insurance blast was nice to see.

Eloy continues to smoke the baseball.  Chapman was probably tired of nearly being killed each time he came up to bat.

And Seby continues to demonstrate that he deserves to stay up with the club when Grandal returns.

Nice win.  Let's keep it going tonight!

7 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I have to hand it to Keuchel.  After an ugly 1st, he settled down and pitched well the rest of the way.  Smart move by TLR to pull him after 5 and let the Pony Tail Gang handle things.  Kopech, Kimbrel, and Hendriks all did their jobs.  Four innings, 9K, 1 BB, 1 H.  That'll work...every damn time.

Luis "I Don't Need Two Hands" Robert with the insurance blast was nice to see.

Eloy continues to smoke the baseball.  Chapman was probably tired of nearly being killed each time he came up to bat.

And Seby continues to demonstrate that he deserves to stay up with the club when Grandal returns.

Nice win.  Let's keep it going tonight!

Credit to TL for pulling Keuchel after getting his 5 innings out of Keuchel and making the switch.  We've seen the attempt to get 1 or 2 more outs fail often enough this year.

7 hours ago, chitown87 said:

Hendriks said he was tipping his fastball against the Yankees and it’s been addressed. Hope that’s the case. 

Eh he couldn't throw his slider for a strike or anywhere near the plate. You can't tip your fastball when the other team knows that's the only pitch you can throw a strike on. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Eh he couldn't throw his slider for a strike or anywhere near the plate. You can't tip your fastball when the other team knows that's the only pitch you can throw a strike on. 

Maybe that's how he was tipping it. If it's close to the zone it's a fastball. 😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, oldsox said:

How would this game have ended if Oakland batters did not swing at Kimbrel's pitches that were waay outside, especially that one on a 3-2 count.

Pitches that look way outside from a CF camera perspective, look a lot different in the batter's box when he is hitting the outside half with his 98+ fastball.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, oldsox said:

How would this game have ended if Oakland batters did not swing at Kimbrel's pitches that were waay outside, especially that one on a 3-2 count.

That's the whole art of pitching - throw something that *looks* good for a split second and get them to swing at something they can't hit.

You don't want every pitch thrown in the strike zone, it's not a videogame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

You weren't really wrong at the time...He looked lost his first few games. He needed time to adjust and he made the adjustment. Good for him. Quality player and teammate.

It was more he had an insanely bad year in AAA, he was striking out like 45% of the time, and he was woeful in 2020 in limited stints. Ignoring the 3 homer game, his defense was better than I thought, and he must have been dealing with an injury or something to start year in AAA, he has put together competitive at bats at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Maybe that's how he was tipping it. If it's close to the zone it's a fastball. 😄

I thought Liam might have just been making excuses, but the Yankees have been beating up on him for a few years now. Then I came across this comment on Reddit...

Could be complete BS, but it's so weird that he's consistently bad against the Yankees but good against just about everyone else. 

• Like 1