White Sox Winner: feel better Bassit!

chitownsportsfan

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

selective picking... So I am guessing 13 of the last 20 years included winning records? 

As is any statistic by itself.

Now, if it is indeed 7 of 20, I wouldn't have guessed 35% of the time the team that wins the world series manages to win 3 series against teams with records of over .500, after having a losing record for the season against teams over .500.  To me that is still pretty significant and interesting.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

selective picking... So I am guessing 13 of the last 20 years included winning records? 

Yes, but 7 out of 20 is large enough to show that it's not as big of a deal that some people here seem to think...especially when you consider that regular season matchups can largely depend on the pitching matchups, where your #5 might be going up against your opponent's ace.

If we were 23-16 against winning teams instead of 18-21, for example, I would not be any more confident in our chances to win the World Series. Get the team healthy and get hot at the right time. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Good for you, Chuck. The common formula has been to play .500 against the good teams, beat up on the bad ones.  Will it matter in the playoffs? In a way, yes, since the Sox will be playing a good team in the playoffs. Go 2-3 in the first round, and you're out. Actually the 18-21 record isn't all that bad. It was just a little discouraging to get swept by Houston and go 1-5 against the Yankees.

As for the playoffs, right now I don't think there is any favorite among the contenders. 

2 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

prone to more injuries? or just a personal opinion?

A personal opinion that his methods lead to too much stress on the arm and increased the potential for injuries, especially for breaking pitches. The "snap" of the famous towel drill was one I particularly never liked.

17 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

Good for you, Chuck. The common formula has been to play .500 against the good teams, beat up on the bad ones.  Will it matter in the playoffs? In a way, yes, since the Sox will be playing a good team in the playoffs. Go 2-3 in the first round, and you're out. Actually the 18-21 record isn't all that bad. It was just a little discouraging to get swept by Houston and go 1-5 against the Yankees.

As for the playoffs, right now I don't think there is any favorite among the contenders. 

this is where I think playing in a weak division hurts the Sox.  The Sox have the talent to hang with the playoff teams in the AL if the schedule allowed to play them on a regular basis. 

those additional ABs vs quality pitching (where adjustments could be made to prepare them for the playoffs) just aren't available in large enough sample sizes due to only facing the best teams twice a year

HOU 6gms, NYY 6gms, BOS 7gms, TB 6gms, TOR 7gms

That's 32 games out of 162, which breaks down to a mere 19.7% of the season to prepare for playoff teams, it's almost an unfair disadvantage to play in such a weak division.  You lock up your seed easily but then get ice water poured on you once you see the more battle hardened teams in October

I am a dinosaur who preferred the days when all teams played the other teams in their league an equal number of games.   The team with the most wins went to the WS.  The WS was truly a championship of professional baseball.  Playoffs were an invention to have more teams be in the hunt but not to find the best team to represent the league.  Both the playoff system and interleague play are driven by money rather than finding the best team to represent the league.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Coulda used a hit in G2 or 3 of the playoffs last season.  Just sayin'.  Cost a  manager his job.

Stuff happens. Not saying you, but modern stat lovers go by the whole, not a few specific at bats. Jose should please the advanced stat lovers and traditional stat lovers cause he has good stats every, single year. Those who want him to be perfect (not saying you) really need to get a grip. Nobody is perfect. Jose is a HR, RBI machine. He turned into a good defensive first baseman. Depending on whether he's hot or not could determine how he (and all players) fares in the postseason. Jose is an elite talent whether haters believe that or not. His full body of work screams, "Put me in the White Sox Hall of Fame." 

forgive me if this offends anybody but I love Jose A.

Edited by greg775

9 hours ago, Capn12 said:

TA
Moncada
Abreu
Eloy
Vaughn
Robert
RF-Swinging Gate
Hernandez
Zavala

Until Grandal returns at least. Then I guess you go...

TA
Moncada
Abreu
Eloy
Grandal
Vaughn
Robert
RF
Hernandez

LR at 7 is crazy, but it speaks to the lineup moreso than LR.

I like the idea of keeping most of the line up the same, except flipping Robert and Moncada.

Playoff lineup

RHP: TA, YM, JA, EJ, LR, YG, AV, CH, AE

LHP: TA, LR, JA, EJ, YM, YG, AV, CH, AE