White Sox Winner: feel better Bassit!

chitownsportsfan

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Didn't watch the game or see the play. Happy for the Sox blowout, scared for Bassit.

I said it once I'll say it again, pitchers need to start wearing helmets. Balls are coming back in excess of 100 mph. We don't need a death on the field to make it happen. Do it to prevent the death or long term head injury.

Unfortunately, it's probably going to happen at some point. I can't see pitchers wanting to wear a facemask while on the mount. 

Easier said than done I'm sure, but pitchers need to do a better job of ending their pitching motion in a position where they can protect themselves. The obvious example is Maddux. He is one of a kind, though. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Coincidental with taking a lot of extra batting practice cuz he was in a horrible slump.  Or vice versa.  I'll give him the credit he deserves.

Jose gets credit. I think he was doing a good job all season, especially given how all the added pressure fell on him, Tim and Goan with the rest of the crew down. Probably more so Jose because he was really the only slugger not named yas left. Jose is so nails. 

28 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Jose gets credit. I think he was doing a good job all season, especially given how all the added pressure fell on him, Tim and Goan with the rest of the crew down. Probably more so Jose because he was really the only slugger not named yas left. Jose is so nails. 

Coulda used a hit in G2 or 3 of the playoffs last season.  Just sayin'.  Cost a  manager his job.

weird win, glad we got it but man, the As have now had two really bad injuries at sox park. That one new yankees prospects career went sideways after he hit that electric box, and now this.

Just looking at rest of the league:

- Wow did the NL east flip fast. Looks much more like we would have expected after an atrocious start by the braves. That team is too talented

- Seems clear to me that from now on we are going to go into each year being underwhelmed by the brewers and giants offseasons only to see them be excellent (I should add As). That front office is too good at finding talent that especially eliminates really weak links on the roster

- It is hilarious to me that the padres keep losing to the rockies. Feels like the padres have 500 starting pitchers yet everytime I look they are doing a bullpen game.

- Entirely unsurprised by the red sox fall. You looked at the white sox and think "how are they doing this" and it was easy - they had insane starting pitching to start year. The red sox just had a handfull of super productive players and a lot of meh and now that bogaerts/martinez are cooling off there isn't much else there.

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

Now let's get Eloy some protection and move Moncada down the lineup and Robert/Vaughn up.

Yoan is weird. When he walks a ton, he doesn"t hit as well. If he's moved down, I hope some one tells him to be more aggressive. Another way to go

might be to move him up to 2nd and Cesar down to 9th. Yoan has a very high OBP, and would score a lot of runs in the front of line up.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

weird win, glad we got it but man, the As have now had two really bad injuries at sox park. That one new yankees prospects career went sideways after he hit that electric box, and now this.

- Wow did the NL east flip fast. Looks much more like we would have expected after an atrocious start by the braves. That team is too talented

- Seems clear to me that from now on we are going to go into each year being underwhelmed by the brewers and giants offseasons only to see them be excellent (I should add As). That front office is too good at finding talent that especially eliminates really weak links on the roster

- It is hilarious to me that the padres keep losing to the rockies. Feels like the padres have 500 starting pitchers yet everytime I look they are doing a bullpen game.

- Entirely unsurprised by the red sox fall. You looked at the white sox and think "how are they doing this" and it was easy - they had insane starting pitching to start year. The red sox just had a handfull of super productive players and a lot of meh and now that bogaerts/martinez are cooling off there isn't much else there.

Good observations. I'd submit the Brewers are the last team I'd want to face in a PO series. Woodruff and Burnes were to be counted on but Peralta now gives them 3 pitchers who can flat out shut down any offense. Plus lights out bullpen. 

14 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

if anybody was wondering about Chris Bassitt, the latest afaik is that his eye is fine and the ball seemed to hit him on the cheek bone, he got stitches but there isn't any news on whether there was a fracture or not

This is actually what I was hoping happened, was worried initially about orbital bone and the temple when it first happened

18 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

if anybody was wondering about Chris Bassitt, the latest afaik is that his eye is fine and the ball seemed to hit him on the cheek bone, he got stitches but there isn't any news on whether there was a fracture or not

I'd be surprised if there's not a fracture.  But, if that's the worst of it, that is great news.  The amount of blood was scary and the initial thought around his eye being affected was truly awful.  If he comes away with stitches and a bruised face, he's extremely lucky.

52 minutes ago, zisk said:

Yoan is weird. When he walks a ton, he doesn"t hit as well. If he's moved down, I hope some one tells him to be more aggressive. Another way to go

might be to move him up to 2nd and Cesar down to 9th. Yoan has a very high OBP, and would score a lot of runs in the front of line up.

I am not opposed to that idea.

I am also curious what happened to Cesar's power since coming over?  Has he readjusted his approach at the plate?  From what I understand, he was not much of a power guy prior to this year.

5 minutes ago, wegner said:

I am not opposed to that idea.

I am also curious what happened to Cesar's power since coming over?  Has he readjusted his approach at the plate?  From what I understand, he was not much of a power guy prior to this year.

I would 100% bat Moncada 2nd. Wasn't he batting 2nd most of 2019 when he put up those huge numbers?

I'd bat Hernandez 5th vs RHP to put a lefty bat behind Eloy until Grandal is back, then I'd put Grandal 5th and move Hernandez down.

I'd bat Vaughn 5th vs LHP.

• Like 1

TA
Moncada
Abreu
Eloy
Vaughn
Robert
RF-Swinging Gate
Hernandez
Zavala

Until Grandal returns at least. Then I guess you go...

TA
Moncada
Abreu
Eloy
Grandal
Vaughn
Robert
RF
Hernandez

LR at 7 is crazy, but it speaks to the lineup moreso than LR.

9 hours ago, Green Line said:

Unrelated but this mde me also think of Grandal.  He was born in Cuba and moved to Miami when he was 10 years old.  Heard him give an interview for the first time this year and was pretty shocked when he sounded like he could be from suburban Chicago.

Grandal has been speaking English since he was 10 years old, when you learn a second language from a young age (Spanish being his first), you will be fluent in your second language too. I always assumed Yasmani was an American from Cuban parents with his English being so fluent...Eloy's English is pretty impressive IMO, considering from where he started from.

Hope Bassitt is ok, don't stop now boys!

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Thank god. Hopefully they continue to give good updates.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Padres fans seem to hate Larry Rothschild