Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
chitownsportsfan

White Sox Winner: feel better Bassit!

Recommended Posts

Great win, obviously tempered by the play with Bassit.  I hope he can make a full recovery to say the least.  Reylo and impressive outing, some great command and stuff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Bassit, we trust.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Didn't watch the game or see the play. Happy for the Sox blowout, scared for Bassit.

I said it once I'll say it again, pitchers need to start wearing helmets. Balls are coming back in excess of 100 mph. We don't need a death on the field to make it happen. Do it to prevent the death or long term head injury.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, who had Lopez, Burr and Wright for the combined shutout in the pool?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great win!

Bassitt: Hope he's ok. So tough to see that.

ReyLo: Is he great again? What a performance and his numbers since coming back are nutty.

Vaughn: If he keeps this up the last 6 weeks of the season he is a legitimate candidate for Rookie of the Year. 

Eloy: Someone please check the math but I think he would be on pace for a 9+ WAR full season since he's come back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Great win!

Bassitt: Hope he's ok. So tough to see that.

ReyLo: Is he great again? What a performance and his numbers since coming back are nutty.

Vaughn: If he keeps this up the last 6 weeks of the season he is a legitimate candidate for Rookie of the Year. 

Eloy: Someone please check the math but I think he would be on pace for a 9+ WAR full season since he's come back. 

Oh yea and Abreu quietly #1 in RBI leaderboard. Sorry @ron883

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great win.

Prayers for Bassitt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the postgame show, and Eloy's English has gotten reallyyy good.  Like almost better than Ozzie good lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Oh yea and Abreu quietly #1 in RBI leaderboard. Sorry @ron883

Yeah, but that damn chaw!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Watching the postgame show, and Eloy's English has gotten reallyyy good.  Like almost better than Ozzie good lol

 Not even close, I remember being at Soxfest one year and I was sitting next to one of his kids. Ozzie said something and the kid leaned over to me and asked what he said? Til this day I have no idea what he said.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Watching the postgame show, and Eloy's English has gotten reallyyy good.  Like almost better than Ozzie good lol

Eloy's English is impressive.  he's near fluid in conversation.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Watching the postgame show, and Eloy's English has gotten reallyyy good.  Like almost better than Ozzie good lol

I had a conversation with my coworker today when we were watching the pregame show. We both noticed it immediately and were really impressed. Many Hispanic/foreign players either refuse or just don't try to learn English but it is clear Eloy has worked on it over the past 6+ months. Great for him and it only broadens his horizons going forward. 

  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job boys!!!

Thoughts and prayers are with Chris Bassit.......hope he is ok.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Many Hispanic/foreign players either refuse or just don't try to learn English

What made you make that assumption out of curiosity?

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per Twitter, Bassitt is conscious and alert and they think his eye is OK. Got some stitches below the eye and they’re testing for fractures. Sounds like relatively good news at this point. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Didn't watch the game or see the play. Happy for the Sox blowout, scared for Bassit.

I said it once I'll say it again, pitchers need to start wearing helmets. Balls are coming back in excess of 100 mph. We don't need a death on the field to make it happen. Do it to prevent the death or long term head injury.

 Zero pitchers would wear one by choice. They tried that with padded hats a few years ago and only a handful of guys chose to wear them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

What made you make that assumption out of curiosity?

It's just anecdotal. That was probably a bad way to say it. What I mean is that Eloy seems to be trying and succeeding at a much more rapid pace learning English than other players i've seen over recent years (including non players like Ozzie)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Didn't watch the game or see the play. Happy for the Sox blowout, scared for Bassit.

I said it once I'll say it again, pitchers need to start wearing helmets. Balls are coming back in excess of 100 mph. We don't need a death on the field to make it happen. Do it to prevent the death or long term head injury.

Also, a helmet would have done nothing to protect Bassitt. The ball hit him just below the ear right next to the cheek. Horrible to see obviously but a regular batting helmet doesn't even protect there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CeaseAndExist said:

Also, a helmet would have done nothing to protect Bassitt. The ball hit him just below the ear right next to the cheek. Horrible to see obviously but a regular batting helmet doesn't even protect there

This might start the conversation on the face masks, though. Some softball pitchers wear the softball mask (like a very limited facemask frame) that protects them from direct hits to the face. We saw more batters adopt the extended batting helmet with the cheek protector that protects the jaw after the Giancarlo Stanton injury, just like we saw more batters wear the helmet with the first earflap years ago. 

As a sport, baseball is so stubborn to adopt change, but it's only reasonable to protect players. But with a sport that still sees players wearing button-ups as a uniform, it'll probably be pretty slow to adopt this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

It's just anecdotal. That was probably a bad way to say it. What I mean is that Eloy seems to be trying and succeeding at a much more rapid pace learning English than other players i've seen over recent years (including non players like Ozzie)

Unrelated but this mde me also think of Grandal.  He was born in Cuba and moved to Miami when he was 10.  Heard him give an interview for the first time this year and was pretty shocked when he sounded like he could be from suburban Chicago.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a metal mask used in girls' fast pitch softball.  Won't work here, no one would wear it.  Pitchers, make sure you square up on your follow through.  Listen to Stoney.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Unrelated but this mde me also think of Grandal.  He was born in Cuba and moved to Miami when he was 10.  Heard him give an interview for the first time this year and was pretty shocked when he sounded like he could be from suburban Chicago.

Agreed. Don't mean to derail this thread saying MLB players need to speak English, was just trying to commend Eloy on what is clearly something he worked on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got out of a broadway play and looked at the score and was like "Holy crap, Rey Lo pitched five scoreless and scored 8 runs, Climate change has been solved!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

It's just anecdotal. That was probably a bad way to say it. What I mean is that Eloy seems to be trying and succeeding at a much more rapid pace learning English than other players i've seen over recent years (including non players like Ozzie)

Fair enough.  I agree completely that he must have put in a good amount of effort because his conversational English and pronunciations sound really good.  I also wouldn't be surprised that he may have potentially been exposed to English at an earlier age and/or maybe enjoys a lot of English media.

But yeah, I disagree that most Latino players just don't try.  Anecdotally, in my early 20s I worked at a community center for a bit and taught ESL to adult immigrants.  Unsurprisingly, learning a new language as an adult is really, really hard.  Some picked up on it a little more quickly, with varying amounts of effort.  Many were very shy about speaking it publicly, which is how I suspect it must be for a lot of ballplayers.  I'm sure most pick up a decent amount of English living here for so long with varying amounts of fluency.  But let's be honest, not just anyone has the type of personality like Eloy to put themselves out there with the kind of spotlight pro athletes get.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×