Worst Sports Injuries

Watching the injury last night had me thinking about Joe Theismann and other sports injuries. I was watching MNF when his happened. The replay was brutal to watch. Then to see all the parallels with Alex Smith is chilling.

I’ve seen a photo of Malarchuk and can’t imagine how scary that must have been. After being that close to death it’s amazing he played a few more seasons.

The two injuries I was around that I really remember were gratefully less severe. I was catching when a batter took one on his nose. So much blood. I was kind of frozen there when my coach jerked me away and got me to the dugout. The sound the ball made haunted me for a while. Our pitcher couldn’t finish the game. 

In college one of my teammates was stepping over the threshold of the shower room when we heard a gun shot and a scream echoing off the walls.   But it wasn’t a gun shot — It was his Achilles’ tendon separating from his heel. Nine months later he was back to light jogging but never returned to competition. 

Some of the nba broken leg injuries make me nauseous just thinking about them, but man that Louisville player that broke his leg and had the bone sticking out in the NCAA tournament has to be the worst I have seen live 

28 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

Johnny Knox, was at the game and didn’t know how serious it was until later. 

ACU recruits on my high school campus. When I ask about famous alumni Johnny doesn't usually get mentioned. I always correct that. 

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Some of the nba broken leg injuries make me nauseous just thinking about them, but man that Louisville player that broke his leg and had the bone sticking out in the NCAA tournament has to be the worst I have seen live 

The Louisville one (forget the guy's name) is the one I'm thinking of. Not old enough to remember most of those getting mentioned.

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Oh God I forgot about that one. 

Herb Score is the famous pitcher who had an identical to last night's injury in 1957.  A great pitcher who was never the same.  I am always amazed nothing has changed in all that time to protect the pitcher.

Edited by poppysox

The worst one I saw in person (not including heart attack and passing away) was a lacrosse stick breaking and a guy finishing a scoop. The sharp stick slit open a guys scrotum and one testicle came rolling out, still attached. It was hanging between his legs like a yoyo.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

The worst one I saw in person (not including heart attack and passing away) was a lacrosse stick breaking and a guy finishing a scoop. The sharp stick slit open a guys scrotum and one testicle came rolling out, still attached. It was hanging between his legs like a yoyo.

Omg

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well this thread can be closed.

Had another one that didn't involve an athlete.

Got a request to go into the stands at a high school football game. It was at a school that still has wooden bleachers. A guy went to slide over to accommodate other fans. When he slid over a significant "sliver of wood" went into one butt cheek and into the other so he closed his crack shut. It didn't break so he was still pinned to the bleachers.

Just now, ptatc said:

Had another one that didn't involve an athlete.

Got a request to go into the stands at a high school football game. It was at a school that still has wooden bleachers. A guy went to slide over to accommodate other fans. When he slid over a significant "sliver of wood" went into one butt cheek and into the other so he closed his crack shut. It didn't break so he was still pinned to the bleachers.

All good reminders of why I could have never survived in medicine.

12 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Keep them going. I have a warped mind to want to see what happens and how they recover.

My dads a doc so it’s similar - just doesn’t phase him. I usually send him the injuries and ask for his diagnosis. Beats having to wait for the official release. 

9 hours ago, ptatc said:

I hate you forever for putting this image in my mind

• Haha 1