Orioles claim Burdi

southsider2k5

Kinda funny how we were just all talking about the impact draft picks have had like month ago and now Burger and Sheets are back in AAA, Madrigal is across town, Burdi is gonzo, and everybody hates Collins.

Granted Vaughn, TA and Rodon are still studs, and Madrigal turned into Kibrel, and that's still a damn good drafting outcome

• Like 1

In a vacuum, fantastic fit on name alone.

Outside of that, man, it sucks seeing what became of Burdi, Hamilton (I swear, he had to walk by a stampede of black cats), and the rest of the relievers that moved through the system a while ago. 

Foster, Burr, Schryver and the corpse of Johnson are all that remain.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

In a vacuum, fantastic fit on name alone.

Outside of that, man, it sucks seeing what became of Burdi, Hamilton (I swear, he had to walk by a stampede of black cats), Johnson, and the rest of the relievers that moved through the system a while ago. 

Foster, Burr, Schryver and the corpse of Johnson are all that remain.

Hamilton is possible the most snake bit player of all time

I hate losing Burdi. Won't rehash convos from other threads about this, but questionable choice to DFA him when there is still a little fat on the 40 man.  Chances are he wasn't making it through the winter on the 40 man anyway, but still strange. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hate losing Burdi. Won't rehash convos from other threads about this, but questionable choice to DFA him when there is still a little fat on the 40 man.  Chances are he wasn't making it through the winter on the 40 man anyway, but still strange. 

The fat jokes about Yermin need to stop

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, South Sider said:

I think that's the first team that had a chance at him. Or were ALC teams allowed first dibs?

They were indeed the first team that had a chance. When a player is DFA'd, his league has first dibs worse record to best. If they all decline, then goes to the other league. Worst to first. 

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Should have traded him before the deadline for a ACL lottery ticket.

6 hours ago, Quin said:

I mean, since you brought him up, he was vaugebooking about Japan the other day. Yermin's determined to obliterate his trade value.

Japan would be perfect for Tubby. He is not quite MLB ready. 

7 hours ago, joejoedairy said:

They DFA'd him for Wright, correct?

Seems like they could have held onto him.

Why though? He had a 7.20 ERA in AAA and almost certainly would have been dropped from the 40 in the off-season. Wright probably gets dropped from the 40 in the off-season too but he's likely the better option to help fill innings right now

He's a good pickup for someone like the O's but without being able to throw 99-101 like he used to be able it's hard to see him sticking in a MLB bullpen.