Owners propose 180m luxury tax, 100m salary floor

ron883

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I like a 100 million salary floor.  It'll instantly make teams more competitive. make tanking much harder.  

I'll say this, the 100 million dollar floor would add more money to the player pool right now with the 180 million dollar ceiling. You'd barely lose any money based on teams over 180 and you'd gain quite a bit with teams currently under 100.

19 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

THe luxury tax has basically been acting as a hard cap; almost no one wants to be over the tax threshold for multiple years as the tax scales. 98% of the teams won't go over it.

They won't go over it multiple times without dropping down for a year. This will increase the competition in the league. But they will still have a few teams every year go over. 

There are currently 9 teams over 180 and 7 teams under 100. It will bring better competition. 

27 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Nope, but it goes both ways.  Both sides are trying to screw the other side out of money.  So, you still lead the league in cynicism.

Won't anyone think of the billionaires????

*clutches pearls*

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Won't anyone think of the billionaires????

*clutches pearls*

No just the millionaires.  It's a union negotiation just like any other. 

It's amazing how many people think it's only the owners just to get something from the union. The union is trying to do the exact same thing.

That's the essence of bargaining unit negotiations. 

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know about all the sides to these issues. I do know that if there is another prolonged work stoppage of any kind, there will be a strong backlash from fans. It took some time for the sport to recover after the 1994 farce. Both sides need to bargain in good faith although I realize that may seem like an odd concept to both sides, mostly by the owners.

11 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No just the millionaires.  It's a union negotiation just like any other. 

It's amazing how many people think it's only the owners just to get something from the union. The union is trying to do the exact same thing.

That's the essence of bargaining unit negotiations. 

I understand it's a negotiation, but the owners have been winning it for a while, they control the money flow.  It is what it is

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You'd have to change the way young payers are paid dramatically - which should have happened already.

It for sure will change the service time shenanigans.   Teams would start using the Sox model and pay their players very early to get to that Salary Floor. 

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I understand it's a negotiation, but the owners have been winning it for a while, they control the money flow.  It is what it is

I mainly want to tell the owners to f off but it does feel like as a fan the salary cap has, as a fan, made other leagues easier to follow, and I think baseball orgs have been interesting in how they respond to constraints added to the sport (draft budgets, etc). Much more fun as a fan when you know there is just a straight up budget you are working with that is the same as everyone rather than if the owner will be charitable with a few more million.

Now, the weird thing is baseball has shown that teams can be competitive on a variety of budgets, and that has also made it interesting. But the creativity the lower budget teams have found have clearly hurt the player pool.

The other thing I struggle with - everytime there is a huff and a puff about tanking teams not signing guys that are available in like Feb, when you follow-up in august so many of those guys are having awful seasons. Teams really have been pretty good at knowing when players have declined to a point of being worse than a young player.

Overall, I don't want the owners song and dance and them to "win", but I do think a structure of player control only being 4 years with a 5th year option for maybe 1st round picks or certain money amount INTL guys, with a salary floor and cap is probably a more fun game to follow. It certainly would be a more fun start to FA.

• Like 1

Some Facts:

- Both sides are trying to win, but there's a good side (the players) and a bad side (the owners). Get with the good side.

-Minor leaguers are the most criminally abused workers. Any sort of discussion needs to start with revamping the minor league system. 

-I would think a Salary floor is a big DUH with what we've seen. Teams tanking so hard and putting sub 50 mil payrolls out there. Even a team like the Rays who succeed and have a payroll at 44 mil need to be better. Their fans deserve better, even if their organization is run well. They don't deserve to keep losing their stars and home grown talent. Pony up the money, losers!

-Salary cap? I'd imagine this is the owners way of forcing top salaries down. IDK if a cap is really needed. But 180 is way too low. Go for 220. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The MLB union is by far the strongest in all of sports. And of course they control the money flow, they OWN the team. Doesn't mean that the players aren't trying to screw the owners over every chance they get.

18 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Some Facts:

- Both sides are trying to win, but there's a good side (the players) and a bad side (the owners). Get with the good side.

-Minor leaguers are the most criminally abused workers. Any sort of discussion needs to start with revamping the minor league system. 

-I would think a Salary floor is a big DUH with what we've seen. Teams tanking so hard and putting sub 50 mil payrolls out there. Even a team like the Rays who succeed and have a payroll at 44 mil need to be better. Their fans deserve better, even if their organization is run well. They don't deserve to keep losing their stars and home grown talent. Pony up the money, losers!

-Salary cap? I'd imagine this is the owners way of forcing top salaries down. IDK if a cap is really needed. But 180 is way too low. Go for 220. 

This is a non-issue for the CBA as the minor leagues are not part of the union, thus they really aren't going to sacrifice any part of their union for non-members.

17 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

I am surprised the owners offered the floor in their first proposal.  While just about everyone knows it is needed, I figured the owners would hold out on that to grab something else back from the players in exchange.

Me too.

25 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

I am surprised the owners offered the floor in their first proposal.  While just about everyone knows it is needed, I figured the owners would hold out on that to grab something else back from the players in exchange.

Maybe some owners would like to avoid a strike if at all possible.