GT 8/20: SOX @ TB, 6:10 ESPN3/NBCSN

maloney.adam

2 hours ago, wegner said:

I was really hoping to plan a roadtrip to see the Sox in Toronto next season but who knows what the border situation will be by then.  

As an alternative, it seems I could get great seats at Tropicana....how is that experience as a Sox fan??

We try to see a Sox game every year when they visit St. Petersburg and Troplcana Field. Its actually a very good place to watch a game, nice clean stadium and you won't get hassled by Rays fans for wearing Sox jerseys or caps. The only drawback is those damn rings but in all the games we've attended at the Trop we have never seen a ball hit a ring, have seen many while watching TV as I don't miss many Rays games on the tube.

With so few fans at games it's amazing how loud it gets in there, in 2008 when the Sox made the playoffs and the Rays knocked us out in the first round we saw a game in July or August and there were 36,000 in the place and it was a madhouse and as loud as the old Chicago Stadium would get for a Blackhawks game.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

1 minute ago, The Mighty Mite said:

We try to see a Sox game every year when they visit St. Petersburg and Troplcana Field. Its actually a very good place to watch a game, nice clean stadium and you won't get hassled by Rays fans for wearing Sox jerseys or caps. The only drawback is those damn rings but in all the games we've attended at the Trop we have never seen a ball hit a ring, have seen many while watching TV as I don't miss many Rays games on the tube.

Sounds like a nice pleasant experience, thanks.  I will definitely do it.

I also don't blame you enjoying this weekend's games on your couch.  To be honest, my wife and I have a flight next week to NC and Delta has us a bit freaked.  I suggested driving down there instead since I have the time off but she thinks that just exposes us to more.  Who knows?  Anyways, stay safe and thanks again for the tips.

24 minutes ago, wegner said:

Thanks for the tips...Detroit is not too bad of a drive so I will probably get up there sooner.  Tampa sounds like a good idea for a flight down there and a couple of days of around the area fun....unless I feel like a long road trip including some detours for caves etc on the way to FL.

The normal route I-65 South will take you right through the Mammoth Cave area in Kentucky. No detour needed. Highly recommend checking it out.

5 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

The normal route I-65 South will take you right through the Mammoth Cave area in Kentucky. No detour needed. Highly recommend checking it out.

Never been there but want to...driving to Tampa next season sounding more and more appealing.  Thanks.

17 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Definitely worth a stop.  Just schedule your tours ahead of time.  Highly recommended.

3 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Big series. Still only expecting 10,000 fans in Tampa though 

There might be more, Red Sox series had some decent crowds but the only way the Rays stay in the Tampa Bay area is if a new stadium is built near Downtown Tampa or even near Raymond James Stadium. They can't surrive in St. Pete.

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

There might be more, Red Sox series had some decent crowds but the only way the Rays stay in the Tampa Bay area is if a new stadium is built near Downtown Tampa or even near Raymond James Stadium. They can't surrive in St. Pete.

Talks about moving them to Ybor City coming back up. Man I wish that was the case. 

14 minutes ago, Capital G said:

Talks about moving them to Ybor City coming back up. Man I wish that was the case. 

Ybor city would be fine also. Have you read about that recently as there was talk about that a few years ago.

I cant see a scenario where Tampa Bay and Montreal share the Rays as a viable solution as there has been talk about that.

I’ve been to 42 MLB stadiums, rank Tampa Bay stadium 41st, Metrodome 42nd. Plus Florida weather sucks in June.

San Diego is the best road city, San Francisco the best road stadium next year among the inter league games, though neither are conducive to road trips under two weeks.

Looking at the Sox schedule, the best bets assuming the season is played would be hitting Cleveland and Baltimore in August if you haven’t been to those stadiums.

The two other cool trips would be hitting the two historic ballparks in early May (Wrigley and Fenway). 

The best flying trip is California. Rent a car to drive the Pacific Coast Highway while catching the Angels and Giants at the end of June/beginning of July. Could hit Yosemite on the way back to Anaheim or just fly back home from San Francisco.

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I’ve been to 42 MLB stadiums, rank Tampa Bay stadium 41st, Metrodome 42nd. Plus Florida weather sucks in June.

San Diego is the best road city, San Francisco the best road stadium next year among the inter league games, though neither are conducive to road trips under two weeks.

Looking at the Sox schedule, the best bets assuming the season is played would be hitting Cleveland and Baltimore in August if you haven’t been to those stadiums.

The two other cool trips would be hitting the two historic ballparks in early May (Wrigley and Fenway). 

The best flying trip is California. Rent a car to drive the Pacific Coast Highway while catching the Angels and Giants at the end of June/beginning of July. Could hit Yosemite on the way back to Anaheim or just fly back home from San Francisco.

Florida weather is in the eyes of the resident, if you play golf like I do 4 days a week its beautiful in morning as we tee off at 8 and usually finish by 11:30. It gets hotter and by noon it's in the 90s and humid and then the afternoon showers pop up around 3 or 4pm.  Its like this everyday from June through Sept,  92-94 for the highs and 70 -72 for the lows. October rolls around and all of a sudden the showers end and the humidity disappears. Best all around months are April, May, October and November. None of this has anything to do with Rays Baseball as they play in a dome.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is literally the easiest place in baseball to get great and cheap seats.  We sat in the front row of LF for like $30 each a couple of years ago.  It was a mostly plain park, but the petting of the Rays area was pretty fun for the kids.

Did you pet Evan Longoria or Blake Snell?

Another Sox fan that lives down here in Tampa. I am going to the game tonight and the beloved White Sox have lost 7 in a row with me in attendance. So I apologize in advance.

if you’re coming to a game at the Trop don’t be in Orlando or somewhere and try and drive in. You will not enjoy getting to the stadium. Stay over on the gulf or down in Sarasota. Very few bars around the stadium but downtown St. Pete has lots to offer and isn’t too far from the stadium. Overall a better experience than it’s given credit. 

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Florida weather is in the eyes of the resident, if you play golf like I do 4 days a week its beautiful in morning as we tee off at 8 and usually finish by 11:30. It gets hotter and by noon it's in the 90s and humid and then the afternoon showers pop up around 3 or 4pm.  Its like this everyday from June through Sept,  92-94 for the highs and 70 -72 for the lows. October rolls around and all of a sudden the showers end and the humidity disappears. Best all around months are April, May, October and November. None of this has anything to do with Rays Baseball as they play in a dome.

Who wants to vacation in Florida in June? So many better options, wait for a year the Sox are in Tampa in April / early May, the only time during baseball season worth traveling there. Went to the Trop and Joe Robbie during April, perfect weather to enjoy time in Florida.

Used to go as a kid to Sarasota (the Lido Beach) during Easter break. Can’t believe how developed it’s gotten since the late 1970s.

15 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Robert in the 2 hole against a righty. Me likey.

Interesting that they have a guy in the DH spot that isn't really an every day player but also probably the better defensive corner OF of the 3.

Edited by manbearpuig
added a word because apparently people think I'm brain dead and don't know Robert (the Gold Glover who even catches everything hit at our left fielder in straight away left field) is great defensively lol

16 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Who wants to vacation in Florida in June? So many better options, wait for a year the Sox are in Tampa in April / early May, the only time during baseball season worth traveling there. Went to the Trop and Joe Robbie during April, perfect weather to enjoy time in Florida.

Used to go as a kid to Sarasota (the Lido Beach) during Easter break. Can’t believe how developed it’s gotten since the late 1970s.

We have lived in Florida since 1993 and you are right on how much more developed it has become especially SW Florida. When we moved to Nalpes in 93 it was a ghost town in the summer with empty restaurants and very little traffic, now its busy all 4 seasons of the year with January through April insanely busy.

• Like 1