Sox fan shot and killed on Xpressway coming from game.

tray

Denise M. Huguelet, 67, was shot about 10 p.m. Tuesday in the southbound lanes of the Dan Ryan  near 63rd Street, according to the Illinois State Police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

She was struck by crossfire coming from two other cars as she headed home from a White Sox game with her husband Michael Hugulet.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2021/8/18/22630480/denise-huguelet-evergreen-park-teacher-dan-ryan-shooting

I take the Ryan to and from games. Anyway, my condolences to this family. Gun violence is out of control and  is getting worse.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

This whole thing of stealing cars, performing extremely visible violent acts, and ditching the cars just seems way too obvious for the ridiculously low clear rates.

It’s not the clear rate, it’s the county not prosecuting these individuals accordingly or giving them I-bonds and they are out doing the same exact thing the next day. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

This whole thing of stealing cars, performing extremely visible violent acts, and ditching the cars just seems way too obvious for the ridiculously low clear rates.

Kim Foxx and Judge Evans have cleared the way for this to occur.  If they wanted to be lenient with non-violent crime so be it.  But crimes that involve a gun should be dealt with with strict punishments.  They also need to trace the guns back to how they obtained it and go after that pipeline as well.  The other problem with this is the age of offenders.  People under the age of 18 are commiting a lot of these crimes and no one has the stomach to take action as they are just kids being kids and they will grow out of it.  Its a revolving door of you commit the crime, get caught, then you are out committing it while you are on bond.  And why does this happen, no consequences. Its a free for all.

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

It’s not the clear rate, it’s the county not prosecuting these individuals accordingly or giving them I-bonds and they are out doing the same exact thing the next day. 

I'm sure there are a lot of contributing factors that can chip away at the number of murders, but for the latter stuff to matter you'd need to charge and arrest more than half of murders.

20 minutes ago, bmags said:

Your initial message was in regards to stealing cars, I don’t see anywhere mentioned in this article about the offender’s car being stolen. 

This is from the article:

A state trooper nearby heard the gunshots and chased a vehicle speeding from the area, state police said. With the help of a police helicopter, troopers arrested two people from the car and recovered a handgun.

Seems like they did their job? Now it’s up to the states attorney to approve the charges. Anyway, I’m sorry for the loss of an innocent life. 

First of all: condolences to strangesox and family on your loss

Now, my rant:

A crime needs three things: means, motive, opportunity. The political discourse in this country focuses entirely on the means--guns. I'm not saying that gun laws aren't needed or don't work, but if we want to get serious about violent crime in this country we need to attack motive and opportunity. Widespread poverty provides most of the motive and opportunity. Regradless of race, ethnicity or religion, kids from middle and upper class homes very rarely end up dealing drugs and committing violent crimes. If you have a promising future then death and jail are much more of a deterrent than if you grow up with nothing.

Many of the perpetrators are under 18, some as young as 13, already dropped out of school and living the gang life. And we sit here on this message board and talk about free college and student loan forgiveness as if that's the progressive holy grail. All that's going to do is make a bunch of middle and upper class kids even more privileged than they already are, and will do incredibly little to fight poverty and the crime that comes with it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

First of all: condolences to strangesox and family on your loss

Now, my rant:

A crime needs three things: means, motive, opportunity. The political discourse in this country focuses entirely on the means--guns. I'm not saying that gun laws aren't needed or don't work, but if we want to get serious about violent crime in this country we need to attack motive and opportunity. Widespread poverty provides most of the motive and opportunity. Regradless of race, ethnicity or religion, kids from middle and upper class homes very rarely end up dealing drugs and committing violent crimes. If you have a promising future then death and jail are much more of a deterrent than if you grow up with nothing.

Many of the perpetrators are under 18, some as young as 13, already dropped out of school and living the gang life. And we sit here on this message board and talk about free college and student loan forgiveness as if that's the progressive holy grail. All that's going to do is make a bunch of middle and upper class kids even more privileged than they already are, and will do incredibly little to fight poverty and the crime that comes with it.

Attacking the source is something that is a long term goal.  To impact an area you would need community buy in and education and opportunity.  That will take at the minimum a generation to see true impact. This should definitely happen, however you still need to go after the current people who are commiting  the current violent crimes.  I dont think you can convince a current gang member who is making money on drug trafficking and violence that the job over at McDonalds even if it pays 15 dollars an hour is a valid recourse.   They were indoctrinated into this gang lifestyle and have bought in.  Adolescents that are given that type of money and power over everyone is a hard formula to give up.    Typically its personal tragedy that will change that outcome.  The next generation needs to be worked on now, while they are too young to get caught up in this.  Because its harder to remove yourself from the equation when you get older.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

Attacking the source is something that is a long term goal.  To impact an area you would need community buy in and education and opportunity.  That will take at the minimum a generation to see true impact. This should definitely happen, however you still need to go after the current people who are commiting  the current violent crimes.  I dont think you can convince a current gang member who is making money on drug trafficking and violence that the job over at McDonalds even if it pays 15 dollars an hour is a valid recourse.   They were indoctrinated into this gang lifestyle and have bought in.  Adolescents that are given that type of money and power over everyone is a hard formula to give up.    Typically its personal tragedy that will change that outcome.  The next generation needs to be worked on now, while they are too young to get caught up in this.  Because its harder to remove yourself from the equation when you get older.  

I understand that it will take at least a generation to see the impact of serious anti-poverty programs, which is exactly why politicians who need to get re-elected in 2-6 years won't make it a priority

I'm not saying that people committing violent crimes shouldn't be held accountable. They should 100% be held accountable, but that alone isn't going to fix the problem. Accountability isn't much of a deterrent.

7 hours ago, bmags said:

8 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

This was a family member. She will be missed. Absolutely senseless tragedy.

This is horrible. So sorry for you loss. Just ridiculous you aren’t safe from being shot in your car on an expressway. I think there have been over 140 shootings on Chicago area expressways this year, yet they continue to sit on their hands installing cameras that could have saved your family members iife as well as others. 

I would think the lack of arrests also hurts in trying to stop this behavior, but the city is out of control. I saw on the news the other day a woman was accosted on the north side dragged to an alley, a gun pit to her head, when people from a residence heard her scream, a guy ran down yelling call the cops call the cops, so the guy left. They wound up catching up to him and arresting him, but he was out on bond hours later, free to do it again.

Edited by Dick Allen

5 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

This is horrible. So sorry for you loss. Just ridiculous you aren’t safe from being shot in your car on an expressway. I think there have been over 140 shootings on Chicago area expressways this year, yet they continue to sit on their hands installing cameras that could have saved your family members iife as well as others. 

I would think the lack of arrests also hurts in trying to stop this behavior, but the city is out of control. I saw on the news the other day a woman was accosted on the north side dragged to an alley, a gun pit to her head, when people from a residence heard her scream, a guy ran down yelling call the cops call the cops, so the guy left. They wound up catching up to him and arresting him, but he was out on bond hours later, free to do it again.

It’s not lack of arrests, it’s a lack of accountability and prosecution AFTER they are arrested. Cause like you said, out on bond hours later. Crook County is a joke. 

That damn constitution and innocent until proven guilty by a fair and impartial process. Countries like Myanmar, North Korea, China actually keep their law abiding citizens safe by assuming if the police arrest you that you are guilty unless you can prove your innocence.

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2021 at 11:24 PM, ShoeLessRob said:

It’s not lack of arrests, it’s a lack of accountability and prosecution AFTER they are arrested. Cause like you said, out on bond hours later. Crook County is a joke. 

Lack of arrests are an issue. Less than 45% of murders in Chicago are solved, so you have a better chance of getting away with it than paying for your crime.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:24 PM, ShoeLessRob said:

If this keeps up in almost all big cities (carjacks, senseless beatings), people would and should MOVE OUT. Letting people out without bond, failing to convict is reprehensible. If you are a gang member, I just bet you they have organized carjack weekends, weekdays. It's so easy. Just carjack. You will get away with it. Something is going on in America; for whatever reason, radicals don't want crime prosecuted and it will bankrupt all big cities eventually. Anybody who lives in Chicago right now is crazy, IMO. Same with New York, Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland, many cities. Peace out. And stay at home as much as u can. America is not safe right now IMO.

On 8/23/2021 at 12:57 PM, Dick Allen said:

Lack of arrests are an issue. Less than 45% of murders in Chicago are solved, so you have a better chance of getting away with it than paying for your crime.

Unfortunately a lot of people are scared to testify in these cases. Testify against a gang banger, get killed. 

Nobody should ever be shot driving on an expressway. Nobody ever should have a brick thrown through their window while driving on an expressway. And nobody should ever have themselves carjacked.

I wish ill, big-time ill, on anybody who perpetrates such crimes. NO EXCUSES. Make them pay with jail time. Lots of jail time. I may be selfish but I don't want permanent injuries/death caused by some criminal jerk.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1