Vaughn's Struggles with RISP and 2 Outs

chw42

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

That’s dumb to say though because it’s actually had a big impact on games, especially the last few weeks

We are talking about 46 ABs covering the entire season.  How many ABs are we talking about in the last few weeks?  Is the definition of a small sample size.

8 minutes ago, RG23SoxFan said:

I don't share your opinion, but I don't think your dumb for thinking what you do.  It is a small sample size for a rookie who most likely would have started the year in the minor leagues if not for an injury to Eloy.  Like many young players he is learning at the big league level and it will take time.  What do you want to do? move him down in the lineup, bench him, send him to Charlotte?  Sorry, I am just not worried about it.  Oh well, I guess that makes me dumb lol.

You’re clearly not dumb, but saying his absolute ineffectiveness with two outs and RISP isn’t a big deal seems inaccurate to me.  He doesn’t need to be benched or demoted, he just needs to do better in that situation 

• Like 1

Any way to find his stats against sliders from UC-Berkley?  I'm curious if he has just never really recognized the pitch well throughout his career or if the quality of MLB sliders is what is throwing him off?  I doubt there are any hitters in the league who hit sliders better than they hit fastballs so you'd expect some dip in performance but the numbers you've presented are ugly, to say the least.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

You’re clearly not dumb, but saying his absolute ineffectiveness with two outs and RISP isn’t a big deal seems inaccurate to me.  He doesn’t need to be benched or demoted, he just needs to do better in that situation 

I don't disagree that he has to get better lol.  I am confident he will get better in those situations.  If there is a good time for him to figure it out this is the time.

6 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Any way to find his stats against sliders from UC-Berkley?  I'm curious if he has just never really recognized the pitch well throughout his career or if the quality of MLB sliders is what is throwing him off?  I doubt there are any hitters in the league who hit sliders better than they hit fastballs so you'd expect some dip in performance but the numbers you've presented are ugly, to say the least.

He probably actually hit very little with RISP and two outs at Cal.  Other team be idiots to pitch to him with an open base.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

He probably actually hit very little with RISP and two outs at Cal.  Other team be idiots to pitch to him with an open base.

I did a little more digging cause I was curious. 

His problem only comes with 2 outs and RISP. With RISP and less than 2 outs (or with runners on in general), he's hit .366 with a similar amount of chances. So I looked into how they were pitching him location-wise.

First image is with no runners on, 2nd image is with RISP and 2 outs, and 3rd image is RISP and less than 2 outs.

If teams are willing to pitch him with RISP and 2 outs with mostly sliders and outside (they absolutely wear out that outside corner), why aren't they doing it when there's RISP and less than 2 outs? The only explanation I can think of is they want him to ground into double plays, but you'd think a strike out would be just fine with who we've hit after him this year. 

1ca277b2-eb9d-4851-8662-cbac075ba8cd.jpg

2feeb09a-3b14-474b-9923-4872be0ccf64.jpg

98f55106-b9a0-4105-a764-6efdc5d013fe.jpg

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

You would have to compare his number to other rookies historically to get a grip on the significance. Anecdotally to me most rookies struggle with it. I don’t understand why he needs to be a complete hitter in his first few hundred ABs of his career

This thread isn't meant to be a critique on Vaughn. I think he's done a wonderful job this year regardless of how he's hit in these situations. I'm just trying to understand why this is happening. I honestly think it's a blend of bad/anxious approach and teams taking advantage of his inexperience on breaking pitches.