Dear Tony (regarding Cesar)

harkness99

11 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Will Nick be Gordon Beckham Version 2? Honestly what percent of sure "cant miss" prospects actually become the player they were hyped to be? 10%?

If Nick can play 100 games / season for a few years, he will surpass Gordon Beckham's value over 11 seasons relatively quickly.

• Cesar Hernandez: 9 Seasons; 1,008 Games; 15.4 fWAR (1.7 fWAR/season) (Baseball Reference top comparable - Kolten Wong)
  • Nick Madrigal: 2 Seasons; 83 Games; 1.5 fWAR (0.8 fWAR/season) (Not a large enough sample for a BR comparable)
  • Gordon Beckham: 11 Seasons; 1,069 Games; 5.5 fWAR (0.5 fWAR/season) (Baseball Reference top comparable - Popeye)

2 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

TLR’s bullshit lineups sometimes reminds me of Ozzie’s Sunday lineups. It was almost like saying “if we win great, if not, that’s ok because we are going to win the division “. I hated watching Sunday baseball in 2005 and 2006. Is TA hurt?  2 days in a row off? 

Yeah, fuck World Series-winning Ozzie for his Sunday lineups in '05. I'm sure that extra rest had nothing to do with the team going 11-1 in the postseason. Should've focused more on the fans, dammit. And fuck La Russa too for keeping his team fresh. Not like he knows anything about winning 3 World Series and 6 pennants. And fuck La Russa again for not playing TA against the professional MLB trainers' recommendation. 

Reinsdorf needs to wake up. Stop hiring these bums like Ozzie and La Russa, and look at the talent pool we have on SoxTalk. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

Yeah, fuck World Series-winning Ozzie for his Sunday lineups in '05. I'm sure that extra rest had nothing to do with the team going 11-1 in the postseason. Should've focused more on the fans, dammit. And fuck La Russa too for keeping his team fresh. Not like he knows anything about winning 3 World Series and 6 pennants. And fuck La Russa again for not playing TA against the professional MLB trainers' recommendation. 

Reinsdorf needs to wake up. Stop hiring these bums like Ozzie and La Russa, and look at the talent pool we have on SoxTalk. 

They also won 99 games and had home field advantage in every series (#2 overall record).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

White Sox Managerial Records Tony La Russa through Tony La Russa *:

• Gene Lamont 258-210 .551
  • Ozzie Guillen 678-617 .524
  • Jerry Manual 500-471 .515
  • Jeff Torborg 250-235 .515
  • Tony La Russa 594-563 .513
  • Terry Bevington 222-214 .509
  • Robin Ventura 375-435 .463
  • Jim Fregosi 193-226 .461
  • Rick Renteria 236-309 .433

* Excludes 1-2 game managers (Rader, Cooper, Cairo, etc.).

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Hernandez has a $6 million team option for 2022.  Looks doubtful to me.  Pilkington having solid AA season so far.  He'll probably be up to Cleveland in 2022 or 2023.

This statement will likely not stand the test of time 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

For the record, this is why I wasn't onboard as Cesar for a guy to immediately pick up his option. To say the least, there are a lot of 2bs possible, and it is unlikely you'll be left without a seat. He is a fine option though, but with so many infielders on the market there's a possibility to upgrade or get similar production for similar price - but why lock it in.

But it's not life or death and if they pick it up, it's fine. Even if they make a mistake there will be 2bs available next deadline and offseason etc, etc.

I feel like they have guys in the minors who may even be worth a look next year for 2B (looking at Romy).

54 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He's never been a power hitter.

He still had almost 20 home runs with the Indians....they weren't inside the parkers.  You would think if he adjusted his swing to have more home runs earlier in the year, he would have more than 1 so far with the Sox.

44 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Oh, just stop it with the damn Gene Lamont love....HE IS NOT COMING BACK :cool:

Cesar definitely needs a day off.  But I wonder if with TA's day to dayness and Leury being out, we can't really give him one without bringing Vaughn to 2nd.  Have a feeling once the two come back, he'll get a day off.  I still think he's had some good at bats and he's still contributing with the glove out there.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

They also won 99 games and had home field advantage in every series (#2 overall record).

Hit the archives and see what this board thought about the 2005 team when our division lead when from double digits in August to only 1.5 games up on September 24th.

Edited by RibbieRubarb
typo

Where would we be if AJ doesn’t steal 1st base in Game 2? We’d of been down 2-0, going to Anaheim, and they would of had the momentum. 

This is why I honor him and my monicker is AJ’S Cousin, also loved the way he would ruin Cub fans days when he played against him. 
He should also have a job rotating in and out of the pre and post game shows. I like Beckham and Scotty Pods, but AJ’S contributions to 2005 out weighs whatever Beckham did his whole career. I’m good with Scotty, he was a MAJOR contributor in 2005. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Maybe they’d of won 102/103 games and not had Cleveland breathing down there neck in September . Love Ozzie. If it wasn’t for KW WE MIGHT OF HAD HIM BACK as manager. TLR doing ok, he’s just too by the book for me sometimes. Hey, we’ll win the division by 15 games, maybe more. TLR will be manger of the year, Hahn might win executive of the year. All good. Never watched or attended as many games this year . 2005 was close

20 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Where would we be if AJ doesn’t steal 1st base in Game 2? We’d of been down 2-0, going to Anaheim, and they would of had the momentum. 

This is why I honor him and my monicker is AJ’S Cousin, also loved the way he would ruin Cub fans days when he played against him. 
He should also have a job rotating in and out of the pre and post game shows. I like Beckham and Scotty Pods, but AJ’S contributions to 2005 out weighs whatever Beckham did his whole career. I’m good with Scotty, he was a MAJOR contributor in 2005. 

The game was tied 1-1. Sox would still have been > 50% to win that game.

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Time to start the Terry Bevington for HOF discussion.

23 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Maybe they’d of won 102/103 games and not had Cleveland breathing down there neck in September . Love Ozzie. If it wasn’t for KW WE MIGHT OF HAD HIM BACK as manager. TLR doing ok, he’s just too by the book for me sometimes. Hey, we’ll win the division by 15 games, maybe more. TLR will be manger of the year, Hahn might win executive of the year. All good. Never watched or attended as many games this year . 2005 was close

What?  Seriously?  Kenny was the problem there?  Not Ozzie demanding an extension with a year to go on his deal and then ditching the team with a few games left in the season?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

What?  Seriously?  Kenny was the problem there?  Not Ozzie demanding an extension with a year to go on his deal and then ditching the team with a few games left in the season?

Oh, Ozzie should have been a lame duck manager going into his final year? No extension for the manager that led us to our 1st World Series since the Stone Age?  TLR never got us to the promised land, yes with other teams, but not us. KW hated Ozzie, he wanted all the glory in 2005 and hates to share. 

5 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Oh, Ozzie should have been a lame duck manager going into his final year? No extension for the manager that led us to our 1st World Series since the Stone Age?  TLR never got us to the promised land, yes with other teams, but not us. KW hated Ozzie, he wanted all the glory in 2005 and hates to share. 

Good lord, that is some solid revisionist history right there.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The short memories on this board regarding 2005 and after are killing me today!

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Wins are a horrible stat to judge anyone by*

*things I learned here.

6 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

He managed another six seasons after the WS. How much immunity  should that have earned him? Lifetime?

He should have done his job and not quit on the team. But hey just look at how well he did in Miami. Fired mid year and No other team would touch him. KW must be pretty powerful if such a great manager couldn’t get another opportunity.