Dear Tony (regarding Cesar)

harkness99

Ok maybe this got out of hand because of me. In summation I’ll say this, Hernandez is a great gold glove caliber 2nd baseman, won it last year. Good power for a second baseman his size. We can carry a 230/240 hitter that fields like him. Note the play he made just a few minutes ago cutting down the runner at third!!!! Nick doesn’t make that play. He’s ok in the 7, 8 or 9 slot.  We should keep him for at least next year UNLESS there’s a free agent is out there. I haven’t check who’s a free agent 2nd basement 

The White Sox are really missing having Anderson and Grandal in the lineup. TA has a multitude of ways to generate pressure upon opposing pitches and defenses. Grandal has a great eye at the plate, can deliver clutch power and as switch hitter is capable of producing vs LH and RH pitchers. 

Let’s hope the Sox can secure a split in this 4 game series… starting with a much needed win tomorrow. 

30 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Once Leury is back, Cesar definitely should get a day off, but his defense has been great and he just needs to be dropped to the 8 or 9 spot in the order. Moncada should bat 1st on days TA is off.

Agreed. Moncada is not hitting for power anyway but that OBP in the leadoff spot would be sick.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted this in yesterday's game thread that will soon close, but....

Cesar sporting the 219/.294/.288 slash with 3 homers and 9 RBI across 165 PA. Hope the Sox try to figure out a way to improve on Cesar this offseason. Not priority A like RF should be, but should be on the list.  At this point, I am not even sure you pick up the option because if you do end up finding a fit for 2B elsewhere, you may need to eat $ to trade Cesar.  I am sure am going to miss Nicky.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cesar sporting the 219/.294/.288 slash with 3 homers and 9 RBI across 165 PA. Hope the Sox try to figure out a way to improve on Cesar this offseason. Not priority A like RF should be, but should be on the list.  At this point, I am not even sure you pick up the option because if you do end up finding a fit for 2B elsewhere, you may need to eat $ to trade Cesar.  I am sure am going to miss Nicky.  

I hope we can make a deal with the Cubs for Madrigal.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol.  Maybe we can send them that Kimbrel guy back! 

Might have to throw in $1 billion in cash. Seriously, do the Sox think Romy is the answer at 2B. He's an interesting prospect. If

they do they'll turn down Cesars option. Several 2B options in FA. None of them are better than Cesar if he just reverts to his

normal level of play.

Edited by zisk
add
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think they can decline the option, try to sign or trade for someone, and re-sign Cesar for less money later in the off-season if they can't replace him and want to bring him back. 

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Picking up the Cesar option is the equivlent to signing Eaton. Baragin shopping early in the offseason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

What's super weird is that this is the worst Hernandez has probably hit in his career. He's always been at least close to league average his entire career. He's only 31, so it's not like he's about to fall off a cliff due to age. 

His exit velocity numbers with us are god awful. Like bottom 1% in the league awful at 84.7. He was at 87.5 with Cleveland, which while below average, is at least MLB caliber. For reference, Leury's average exit velocity is 85.8 this year and that's bottom 6% in the league. 

He was barreling balls in Cleveland but has barely done that with us. He's hitting way more grounders and less line drives, which is probably why his BA is so low with us. The one pitch that he's really struggled against is the sinker, which probably explains the higher ground ball rates. He was pummeling those with Cleveland, but it's literally his worst pitch to go up against with us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

What's super weird is that this is the worst Hernandez has probably hit in his career. He's always been at least close to league average his entire career. He's only 31, so it's not like he's about to fall off a cliff due to age. 

His exit velocity numbers with us are god awful. Like bottom 1% in the league awful at 84.7. He was at 87.5 with Cleveland, which while below average, is at least MLB caliber. For reference, Leury's average exit velocity is 85.8 this year and that's bottom 6% in the league. 

He was barreling balls in Cleveland but has barely done that with us. He's hitting way more grounders and less line drives, which is probably why his BA is so low with us. The one pitch that he's really struggled against is the sinker, which probably explains the higher ground ball rates. He was pummeling those with Cleveland, but it's literally his worst pitch to go up against with us. 

Very weird. Maybe just a really bad streak/stretch, but the numbers don't really lie here. Just been a bad pickup thus far. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Picking up the Cesar option is the equivlent to signing Eaton. Baragin shopping early in the offseason.

All of this could have been avoided had they just picked up Escobar. Sure he went on the IL once with a leg issue, but I'd rather not have someone for 10 days than deal with a guy hitting .220 with no pop being the starting 2B on a playoff team. 

• Like 1