Dear Tony (regarding Cesar)

harkness99

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

All of this could have been avoided had they just picked up Escobar. Sure he went on the IL once with a leg issue, but I'd rather not have someone for 10 days than deal with a guy hitting .220 with no pop being the starting 2B on a playoff team. 

As you mentioned, this is the worst he's ever hit. 

History would then tell us he'll snap out of this somewhat soon. Ideally that's during the playoffs. After that, they can decide what they want to do with him in the offseason. 

But it's not like he's been costing them important games down the stretch here..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

All of this could have been avoided had they just picked up Escobar. Sure he went on the IL once with a leg issue, but I'd rather not have someone for 10 days than deal with a guy hitting .220 with no pop being the starting 2B on a playoff team. 

Just checked Escobar’s numbers. Good pick up by the crew.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Very weird. Maybe just a really bad streak/stretch, but the numbers don't really lie here. Just been a bad pickup thus far. 

He started out fine and was actually pretty good for the first few weeks. Then the Yankees series happened and he just fell off a cliff. At first I thought it was maybe because we were playing good teams for that 2 week stretch, but he really hasn't done much against the Cubs, Pirates, Royals, etc since. 

I'm not sure what it is with this team and the fascination with hitting ground balls. I'm not sure if it's a Menechino thing or an organizational philosophy thing, but I think it's the wrong thing to be good at in this era of the game. I'm not sure if they tried to get Cesar to change the way he was hitting in Cleveland, but the results sure look like it. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Just checked Escobar’s numbers. Good pick up by the crew.

Yea many of us wanted him and thought it was practically guaranteed we'd get him. It was disappointing he went to the Brewers instead. He's been playing great, way better than he was in Az.

Some didn't like his on base skills but it's been .353 with the Brewers while only playing 3B and 1B. He's at 27 HR's on the season,  5 with the Brew Crew along with 6 doubles and 2 triples. Since Sept. started he's been on fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

As you mentioned, this is the worst he's ever hit. 

History would then tell us he'll snap out of this somewhat soon. Ideally that's during the playoffs. After that, they can decide what they want to do with him in the offseason. 

But it's not like he's been costing them important games down the stretch here..

Hopefully he picks it up a bit down the stretch. Sox aren't in any hurry to decide if they will pick up the option next year.

Whoever plays 2nd base next year may just be a placeholder for Romy Gonzalez, Yolbert Sanchez or Popeye Rodriquez.

Sanchez has been tearing up AA since his promotion from WS while Popeye tore up WS before he was promoted to Birmingham.

Romy was doing well at Birmingham before he was promoted to Charlotte and was also tearing it up in a small sample before he was promoted here.

Whichever one can show an affinity for defense and also draw some walks of those 3 eventually wins out. But they all have had great seasons .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kleedawg said:

Cesar was batting first and having a good offensive year in Cleveland. It is not really shocking that he would slump in a new environment. Do not be surprised if he gets big hits in the playoffs. He is NOT terrible and will most likely be our second baseman next year. 

He was having a good year prior to the trade?  the only reason most people were okay with it because we were hoping for some chance he gets close to his career norms with us.. That did not happen.

• Like 1

If the front office believes that he can get back to his career norms next year (which should fit in quite well with the rest of the lineup) and the fact he plays a very good defense leads me to believe that they will pick up his option.  Then we should have some internal options for the 2023 season.

But what do I know?....my previous guessing would have indicated Harper patroling RF this evening on the Southside. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wegner said:

If the front office believes that he can get back to his career norms next year (which should fit in quite well with the rest of the lineup) and the fact he plays a very good defense leads me to believe that they will pick up his option.  Then we should have some internal options for the 2023 season.

But what do I know?....my previous guessing would have indicated Harper patroling RF this evening on the Southside. 

IMO - the number of other options there are available to fill that spot and the fact that his performance is this far down since he came to us suggests that his option would be an overpay, and if you really wanted him back, you decline the option and try to bring him back for several million less while also talking to Escobar about a deal and maybe even seeing if you can come up with the money for Semien.

At the very least, if you can save $2 million on him, that's money you could put towards a solid utility guy or a backup catcher.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

IMO - the number of other options there are available to fill that spot and the fact that his performance is this far down since he came to us suggests that his option would be an overpay, and if you really wanted him back, you decline the option and try to bring him back for several million less while also talking to Escobar about a deal and maybe even seeing if you can come up with the money for Semien.

At the very least, if you can save $2 million on him, that's money you could put towards a solid utility guy or a backup catcher.

Very good point....just because they turn it down does not mean he won't be back.  Is the option like $6 million?

9 minutes ago, wegner said:

Very good point....just because they turn it down does not mean he won't be back.  Is the option like $6 million?

Yes. Just for comparison - Tommy LaStella was coming off 2 solid average (to slightly above average) seasons, better than Cesar this year and he got $6.25 million/year over 3 years (with a bigger signing bonus), while Kike Hernandez who just led off for the Red Sox against us last weekend got $7 million a year/2 years. 

Next year, you've got Semien, Escobar, Chris Taylor (Dodgers), Brad Miller (Phillies utility guy), Leury, Baez, Donovan Solano (Giants), and then crazy ideas that someone like the Dodgers might do of signing a Corey Seager and a Trea Turner and moving Seager permanently to 2b. 

If Cesar is this bad the rest of the year, I just don't see him getting $6 million unless the CBA dramatically affects it. He only got $5 million this year, and he's really dragging himself down now. There are guys that I would rather spend more money on than Cesar at this dollar amount. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kleedawg said:

Cesar was batting first and having a good offensive year in Cleveland. It is not really shocking that he would slump in a new environment. Do not be surprised if he gets big hits in the playoffs. He is NOT terrible and will most likely be our second baseman next year. 

This is kind of what my thinking has been.  He is very good defensively and doesn't bother me when batting at the bottom of the order.  Good at bunting and in general a reasonably aware baseball player.   Once he feels more like a WS player he will probably be a solid contributor.  Just don't expect him to be another Madrigal.

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hopefully he picks it up a bit down the stretch. Sox aren't in any hurry to decide if they will pick up the option next year.

Whoever plays 2nd base next year may just be a placeholder for Romy Gonzalez, Yolbert Sanchez or Popeye Rodriquez.

Sanchez has been tearing up AA since his promotion from WS while Popeye tore up WS before he was promoted to Birmingham.

Romy was doing well at Birmingham before he was promoted to Charlotte and was also tearing it up in a small sample before he was promoted here.

Whichever one can show an affinity for defense and also draw some walks of those 3 eventually wins out. But they all have had great seasons .

Talent? In our minor league system?  I'm not used to it yet, but I can learn.

Edited by Stinky Stanky

• 3 weeks later...