Dear Tony (regarding Cesar)

harkness99

30 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Madrigal is not Dustin Pedroia. 

He is not Dustin Pedroia but not many second basemen are. Anyways the point is moot for this year, i get the gamble and hope it pays off. I didnt like the trade at the time and i still dont.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, reiks12 said:

He is not Dustin Pedroia but not many second basemen are. Anyways the point is moot for this year, i get the gamble and hope it pays off. I didnt like the trade at the time and i still dont.

I was indifferent about the trade and didn’t want to lose Madrigal but if Bummer and Hueur were having better seasons we would not have made that deal. Those guys struggling like they were was the reason it was made. 

5 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

Hernandez has been a disappointment but he is an upgrade over Garcia and Mendick. Just give it time.

Now losing Madrigal is going to hurt long term but you really have to give up something to get something and Madrigal is not Dustin Pedroia. 

sadly Kimbrel hasn't been Kimbrel either

Hernandez is not a #1 or #2 in the lineup. He’s an 8th or 9th hitter at best.  TLR’s bullshit lineups sometimes reminds me of Ozzie’s Sunday lineups. It was almost like saying “if we win great, if not, that’s ok because we are going to win the division “. I hated watching Sunday baseball in 2005 and 2006. Is TA hurt?  2 days in a row off? Hernandez is a upgrade defensively. No doubt. Madrigal is a better hitter and would have been a great #2 hitter down the line. Kimbrel I think needs to close a game or 2 to get him going again. Grandal returning will change things up. He needs to bat 5th or 6th. Maybe sandwich Vaughn between Eloy and Grandal and bat Moncada 7th until he wakes up. 

While Kimbrel has struggled, Heuer has a 1.64 ERA for the Cubs. May be a usage problem in the Sox pen?

Didn’t like the trade at the time, still don’t like it. I think we end up missing Pilkington too. When Hahn “goes for it”, he always overpays. Some of the worst trades in the last 10 years in MLB have been the Sox overpaying for veterans.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, harkness99 said:

the guy has really been struggling hard yet he never gets a day off and continually is the top 1 or 2 spots...

Tony likes to give you a day off when you're hot.  If Ceasar needs a day off he better start hitting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

Hernandez has been a disappointment but he is an upgrade over Garcia and Mendick. Just give it time.

Now losing Madrigal is going to hurt long term but you really have to give up something to get something and Madrigal is not Dustin Pedroia. 

What does that mean?. Pedroia in his first year hit below .200. Madrigal may have a better career or worse than Pedroia. Time will tell. Making that statement after Madrigal's brief stint is ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

What does that mean?. Pedroia in his first year hit below .200. Madrigal may have a better career or worse than Pedroia. Time will tell. Making that statement after Madrigal's brief stint is ridiculous. 

people thought Madrigal was a bust after 100 atbats and then went silent when he had an OPS of 1000 over his final 30 games of this season. They then said Mendick would easily cover his offensive production. Lots of ridiculous takes on Madrigal out there, go check out the Madrigal thread for some good ones. 

• Haha 1

Just now, reiks12 said:

people thought Madrigal was a bust after 100 atbats and then went silent when he had an OPS of 1000 over his final 30 games of this season. They then said Mendick would easily cover his offensive production. Lots of ridiculous takes on Madrigal out there, go check out the Madrigal thread for some good ones. 

If Madrigal stays healthy this will end up being a great deal for the Cubs, but his health is the risk both sides were taking in making this deal. I think from the Sox side it wasn't worth the risk to count on a guy who's been on the field so little the past two years without a suitable replacement.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

If Madrigal stays healthy this will end up being a great deal for the Cubs, but his health is the risk both sides were taking in making this deal. I think from the Sox side it wasn't worth the risk to count on a guy who's been on the field so little the past two years without a suitable replacement.

Agree with you 100%, the injuries have been piling up on him. I also wonder how many grounders he will beat out next year after the surgery.

10 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Hernandez has a $6 million team option for 2022.  Looks doubtful to me.  Pilkington having solid AA season so far.  He'll probably be up to Cleveland in 2022 or 2023.

his K% has gone up since being with Cleveland, you knew it would happen though.

For the record, this is why I wasn't onboard as Cesar for a guy to immediately pick up his option. To say the least, there are a lot of 2bs possible, and it is unlikely you'll be left without a seat. He is a fine option though, but with so many infielders on the market there's a possibility to upgrade or get similar production for similar price - but why lock it in.

But it's not life or death and if they pick it up, it's fine. Even if they make a mistake there will be 2bs available next deadline and offseason etc, etc.