It's FutureSox Top 30 week!

southsider2k5

Wow. A lot of which struggling guy deserves to be where?  If you think our system is better than near the bottom, realize a power hitter who isn’t hitting for power and striking out 43% of the time moved up four spots. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

• Quin pinned this topic
5 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Wow. A lot of which struggling guy deserves to be where?  If you think our system is better than near the bottom, realize a power hitter who isn’t hitting for power and striking out 43% of the time moved up four spots. 

Krogman has some ceiling, and A LOT of guys dropped off of the list, both through graduations and through trades.  I am going to guess we lost about 10 guys off of last years list through one way or the other.  The big thing for Chase is he is going to have to stay healthy, or it won't really matter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Krogman has some ceiling, and A LOT of guys dropped off of the list, both through graduations and through trades.  I am going to guess we lost about 10 guys off of last years list through one way or the other.  The big thing for Chase is he is going to have to stay healthy, or it won't really matter.

I hated my post because I didn't want to single out a guy chasing his dream, hence I didn't name him.  I was just using it for reference.  Would love for him to develop and know not all development is linear and some develop later.  In a good system that guy might still be ranked but drop ten spots was more my point due to other prospects looking better.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Quin said:

Despite being the bottom ranked system, this Top 30 is wildly better than prospect lists of the dark days (the Simon Castro, Nestor Molina).

For sure. We used to only have one Micker Adolfo, now we have ten. Stack enough up and a few will hit.

• Like 3

From first glance it looks like our entire top 30 is completely homegrown. I think this is the most interesting set of draft and international prospects the Sox have had in a long time. The homegrown 2018 midseason top 10 would be:

Madrigal, Collins, Alec Hansen, Adolfo, Burdi, Luis Gonzalez, Burger, Steele Walker, Jordan Stephens, and Seby Zavala.

Thats a lot of position-locked talent without high ceilings. On our current rankings we’ve got three plausible MLB shortstops (although Kath probably moves off), a possible CF with pop, four starters with mid-rotation upside, and two corner infield/outfield MLB-ready sluggers. 

It’s obviously flawed to look at old prospects with hindsight and compare them to the current moment’s hottest prospects, but I think this comparison makes it obvious how limiting our old draft and international strategies were. 

• Like 1

FNG here and my first post.
I just don't see how Burger or even Sheets really fit the immediate 3-4 year window. Unless Moncada falls off a cliff or Abreu sours on him, he isn't moving off third. Cespedes will likely break in as RF mid-season next year (at least as a platoon), and Jose isn't moving off first anytime soon which squeezes the opportunities for both of these guys. Is Sheets really a RF anyway?  

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Rodriguez being behind all 3 of the struggling Kannapolis pitchers really boggles my mind. I love the lists and appreciate the amount of work you guys put into it, I just don't understand how Rodriguez keeps being so low on so many smart peoples rankings.

Or, conversely, why are those three pitchers ranked so high?  You have a good point.

• Like 1

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're super young for the league. There's no short season so they were aggressively assigned to low A and "struggles" were expected.  All stats should be pretty much ignored in the low minors and they should be especially ignored for this group.  They're on two year assignments. 

I'm just quoting this so people don't skip it. People also seem to be forgetting that Thompson, Kelley, and Dalquist didn't get rookie ball in the 2020 season.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Rodriguez being behind all 3 of the struggling Kannapolis pitchers really boggles my mind. I love the lists and appreciate the amount of work you guys put into it, I just don't understand how Rodriguez keeps being so low on so many smart peoples rankings.

I've always been skeptical of Rodriguez's plate approach. He's super aggressive. I need to see it not get exposed at higher levels before I move him in front of the pitchers. Those are just my personal feelings though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxForce2 said:

FNG here and my first post.
I just don't see how Burger or even Sheets really fit the immediate 3-4 year window. Unless Moncada falls off a cliff or Abreu sours on him, he isn't moving off third. Cespedes will likely break in as RF mid-season next year (at least as a platoon), and Jose isn't moving off first anytime soon which squeezes the opportunities for both of these guys. Is Sheets really a RF anyway?  

Well, so far This year the White Sox have spent more than 600 plate appearances on Jake Lamb, Yermin Mercedes, Nick William, and Brian Goodwin. If there’s a moral to that story, if a guy can hit, even put up a .900 OPS against one side of a platoon, there will be plate appearances for them and chances to Win key games. And Sheets may not be a good RF, but I’d rather have him in RF than have Goodwin in CF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3