It's FutureSox Top 30 week!

southsider2k5

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, so far This year the White Sox have spent more than 600 plate appearances on Jake Lamb, Yermin Mercedes, Nick William, and Brian Goodwin. If there’s a moral to that story, if a guy can hit, even put up a .900 OPS against one side of a platoon, there will be plate appearances for them and chances to Win key games. And Sheets may not be a good RF, but I’d rather have him in RF than have Goodwin in CF.

Well, at least as long as TLR is around.

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

That's a comp I didn't expect.  Maybe the end up similar hitters, but Rios was like 6'5"/200.  Cespedes like like 5'9"/200 and thick as a bull.

I was thinking more in terms of production and fit. Someone who can handle CF but is pushed to RF due to having a GG in CF. 275/.325/.435 15+ HR 25+ SB with above average defense in RF with a + arm

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I've always been skeptical of Rodriguez's plate approach. He's super aggressive. I need to see it not get exposed at higher levels before I move him in front of the pitchers. Those are just my personal feelings though. 

Rodriguez has posted borderline elite strikeout rates in Low-A and High-A this year. I'd be more inclined to go along with that if his approach had lead to an increased strikeout rate in games, but that hasn't happened at all. I also think he deserves more of the benefit of the doubt considering how good the performance has been (obviously best in the system for anyone age appropriate in the lower minors) and the fact he has a real shot to stick at a premium position. If Montgomery goes to Kanny & WS next year and produces the way Rodriguez has this year, most people on this board would be clamoring for him to be a top 100 guy and rightfully so.

• Like 3

Keep your eyes on Romy Gonzalez. He crushed AA ,which isn't easy in Birmingham. He was a 20/20 guy there .

It's only been 5 games but he's 8 for 19 with 4 doubles and 3 HR's. That's 7 of his 8 hits for many extra bases . 1.000+ Slg. % and around 1.600 OPS .

He went from unranked to #16 and while it's impossible to keep hitting the way he has, he seem really legit. Hit's plenty of his HR's oppo. He has easy power almost like Eloy.

Not sure what position he ends up , maybe 2nd base.

He'll shoot up from 16 to top 10 easy when the February rankings come out. Might even be closer to Top 5.

He'll be 25 in early September. Might not be room to call him up in September but he would be fun to get a look at.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, Sox80 said:

Alex Rios good years in Toronto vibes? If so I could handle that 😁

While we're talking about a guy with less than a season in American professional baseball, Cespedes is showing near-immediate MLB ceiling in most facets of the game. The easy comparison is with his brother. One angle of his game that stands out is his field play/range, glovework and composure on defense. These weren't strengths in Yoenis' game who booted and flubbed more than a reasonable percentage of plays. Yoenis' GG was almost entirely due to his elite arm and the use of it in making spectacular plays. The point being that his arm often saved plays that, if he were to have made in the first place wouldn't have had to be saved by his arm. Whether or not Yoelquis has his brothers power bat remains to be seen but his line-drive contact skills are pretty evident. If he's got his head on a swivel and continues to exhibit poise in the field, there is little reason to doubt that he'll be making at least some appearances in RF at Comiskey/GRF after the AS break in 22.

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Like 3

On 8/26/2021 at 10:38 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Keep your eyes on Romy Gonzalez. He crushed AA ,which isn't easy in Birmingham. He was a 20/20 guy there .

It's only been 5 games but he's 8 for 19 with 4 doubles and 3 HR's. That's 7 of his 8 hits for many extra bases . 1.000+ Slg. % and around 1.600 OPS .

He went from unranked to #16 and while it's impossible to keep hitting the way he has, he seem really legit. Hit's plenty of his HR's oppo. He has easy power almost like Eloy.

Not sure what position he ends up , maybe 2nd base.

He'll shoot up from 16 to top 10 easy when the February rankings come out. Might even be closer to Top 5.

He'll be 25 in early September. Might not be room to call him up in September but he would be fun to get a look at.

They made room....very excited to see what he does in The Show.

25 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Wow that's a real shocker since Burger wasn't brought up but they may want to take a look at him at 2nd base.

I may be reading too much into it, but maybe this is an indicator that they will be looking to trade Burger in the offseason...do not expose him any more to major league pitching and let his earlier work this year do the talking. 

Either way, Jake and Romy are a couple of nice stories from this season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wegner said:

I may be reading too much into it, but maybe this is an indicator that they will be looking to trade Burger in the offseason...do not expose him any more to major league pitching and let his earlier work this year do the talking. 

Either way, Jake and Romy are a couple of nice stories from this season.

With Tim out I think Romy may get a look at SS and there's so very little room that only Tim being out afforded Romy the opportunity. With Moncada healthy and Leury back, infield time for Burger just wasn't in the cards for September.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Wow that's a real shocker since Burger wasn't brought up but they may want to take a look at him at 2nd base.

Burger is the feel good story of the organization and my hat's off to his play this year. But is he really a second baseman? There are several guys that can play both second and third around both leagues but from what little I've seen of Burger, he just isn't one of them. He isn't polished as a MLB 3rd yet and tasking him to learn 2nd from the ground up would be quite a stretch. Playing 2nd demands a lot more range than third. Would his legs hold up? Does he have the 'knack' for making the pivot and throw on DP's? A lot of question marks there. The 'good problem to have' only goes so far in many instances and his position is capped for the next several years. I'm of the mind that moving Burger in the off season as part of a trade would be a win-win for him and the Sox. Sheets' situation is somewhat different in that he can probably at least play, at some level of competence, a position other than his natural post (first), with that position - RF -  being in flux(!) this year and next. 

By flux,  I mean, potential RF for 2022: Engel, Goodwin, Vaughn, Sheets and Cespedes

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This statement is probably telling as to what the Sox think of Burger at 2B, considering they spent the entire season shoving round pegs into square holes to rescue this season.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Burger is the feel good story of the organization and my hat's off to his play this year. But is he really a second baseman? There are several guys that can play both second and third around both leagues but from what little I've seen of Burger, he just isn't one of them. He isn't polished as a MLB 3rd yet and tasking him to learn 2nd from the ground up would be quite a stretch. Playing 2nd demands a lot more range than third. Would his legs hold up? Does he have the 'knack' for making the pivot and throw on DP's? A lot of question marks there. The 'good problem to have' only goes so far in many instances and his position is capped for the next several years. I'm of the mind that moving Burger in the off season as part of a trade would be a win-win for him and the Sox. Sheets' situation is somewhat different in that he can probably at least play, at some level of competence, a position other than his natural post (first), with that position - RF -  being in flux(!) this year and next. 

By flux,  I mean, potential RF for 2022: Engel, Goodwin, Vaughn, Sheets and Cespedes

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This statement is probably telling as to what the Sox think of Burger at 2B, considering they spent the entire season shoving round pegs into square holes to rescue this season.

Sorry I was actually talking about trying Romy at 2nd base. I have always thought of Burger as a 3rd baseman even though there's been talk about him trying 2nd.

• Like 1