COVID Thread Part Deux

Chisoxfn

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

I am and it's funny as all get out. I read CNN website and Fox on my phone several times a day and laugh my butt off at the differences. ie what the sites cover on a given day and what they don't. Also the biased wording in the stories, albeit "some" correctly have the word "opinion" on them. Some don't. Suffice it to say both CNN and Fox have agendas and they are hilarious to follow. Try it.

You shared Rogan here like, yesterday, without a hint of irony or humor, correct?

59 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

You shared Rogan here like, yesterday, without a hint of irony or humor, correct?

When Joe Rogan is considered controversial then color me puzzled. Honest question, have you listened to him? Have you heard him talk in long form? Or are you just going by snippets? Because he brings on everybody from both sides, he brings in authors and doctors and political people across the board. He's a very reasoned individual. You may not agree with him on everything, but if someone like him is controversial than help us all. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

When Joe Rogan is considered controversial then color me puzzled. Honest question, have you listened to him? Have you heard him talk in long form? Or are you just going by snippets? Because he brings on everybody from both sides, he brings in authors and doctors and political people across the board. He's a very reasoned individual. You may not agree with him on everything, but if someone like him is controversial than help us all. 

I have listened to his podcast many times. I understand that he is a comedian who brings in guests for alternating views.  I also understand that there are many people that buy into his health views and use them as proof in questioning professionals.  Greg did not present him as a comedian, Greg presented him as someone who beat Covid by non traditional methods even though the guy got the monoclonal treatment that normal Joe's can't afford 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

I have listened to his podcast many times. I understand that he is a comedian who brings in guests for alternating views.  I also understand that there are many people that buy into his health views and use them as proof in questioning professionals.  Greg did not present him as a comedian, Greg presented him as someone who beat Covid by non traditional methods even though the guy got the monoclonal treatment that normal Joe's can't afford 

i'll agree with that.  if a normal joe blow got covid we can't just go to our doctors and say/pay for those treatments. he also has a huge platform which, alhtough he may not like it, does kind of box him sometimes. he has a social responsibility because people are always going to pick and choose. and in this case, the population isn't very smart and some (very few) are running with ivermectin as a saving grace. 

in the end these shots cost about $40 and should be the go-to solution. 

52 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

i'll agree with that.  if a normal joe blow got covid we can't just go to our doctors and say/pay for those treatments. he also has a huge platform which, alhtough he may not like it, does kind of box him sometimes. he has a social responsibility because people are always going to pick and choose. and in this case, the population isn't very smart and some (very few) are running with ivermectin as a saving grace. 

Not just Ivermectin, although that on is problematic obviously. He specifically said "Young and healthy people don't need to worry about getting the vaccine" (false, that's literally why vaccines work, he claimed mRNA vaccines are "Gene therapy" (completely false), and ranted about how vaccine mandates are abhorrent and offensive to the things established in 1776 (complete misunderstanding of history, and notably George Washington instituted a smallpox vaccine mandate for his army). So he is also a serial misinformer on this subject who has taken advantage of his platform to encourage things that hurt people. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Also Joe Rogan's YouTube channel that posts the snippets.

"Masks are for bitches."

"It's what men do. We make fun of...things."

Joe Rogan is controversial on purpose cause it makes Joe Rogan money.

14 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So everyone, I would like to present this as an absolutely excellent example of how to mislead with statistics. It is not lying, but it is a statistic presented without important context. 

What context is missing? That there is a huge bias in who has gotten the vaccine by age. Over 80% of people in the US above age 50 have gotten at least 1 shot, according to the CDC numbers (note some bias is possible because some states do not report). 

At the same time, the population over age 50 is overwhelmingly white compared to the average of the country. To say this another way, the average age of a white person in this country is 58, while for a minority it is 27 (https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/07/30/most-common-age-among-us-racial-ethnic-groups/). 

That means...if a young person is less likely to be vaccinated...it will require that minorities are less likely to be vaccinated as a consequence, because younger people are more diverse. Especially considering that most under 12 cannot legally be vaccinated right now, it is effectively required that the vaccination rate among black people will be lower than white.

It is not the easiest to work across statistical groups from the Census to the CDC since they aren't counting everyone the same way, and there are some biases in missing people from the CDC not counted. But, if you try to correct for age - it accounts for at least 7% of the difference between those ethnic groupsIt may even be higher - if the states with lots of unvaccinated White People, like Texas, are selectively not reporting data to the CDC, which I believe is true.

In other words, if you correct for age - effectively the entire difference between White and Black people goes away, and the vaccination rates are, within error of 9 missing states - effectively identical. The odds of a 30 year old white person being vaccinated are similar to those of a 30 year old black person. The odds of a 30 year old Hispanic person being vaccinated appear to be higher than both others. 

While every group needs to improve, the biggest thing we need to do is address the age group issue. Given that the problem is focused in the ages under 50, particularly the working age population - adding in mandates in workplaces and schools is a strongly supported way to solve this problem. Similarly, getting approval for the vaccine for younger age populations is required as well - as that cannot be fixed without doing so.

Yes, I was misleading by providing a source and the complete results of their study without my own opinion because you have some conspiracy about how you think Texas is lying about data (which I am sure you have evidence of outside of your own bias). You throw around conspiracy theorist a lot for someone who doesn't trust the data b/c of the scenarios you conjure up in their head without sourcing. But thanks for making my point that the people who aren't vaccinated shouldn't be lumped into political groups without context. I simply posted these results to show how doing that is harmful and inconsistent with the data.  

If you're just catching up, it's all the Trump voters who aren't vaccinated that are killing everyone and that group is primarily made up of young minorities. The demographic data is biased and without context because it doesn't support Balta's rigid worldview. 

3 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

He is controversial because he does not fall in line with the corporate viewpoints that the left adopts without exception. He calls himself a liberal but leftists just see the clickbait headlines that he's taking "horse dewormer" and they need to hate him like everyone else the corporate news tells them to hate. 

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

That's not true. In fact, these types of treatments are one of the reasons death rates from covid were plummeting before the country was significantly vaccinated. 

My dad had pneumonia this summer and when they were waiting for COVID results his doctor said if he was covid positive they would get him on the same group of treatments as Trump. Which isn't all that different from what Rogan did (all on advice of their doctors).

The monoclonal antibodies are a very expensive as a treatment but the government has a purchase agreement with at least one producer that includes a co-pay program to cover the treatment up to $2,000. Yes, they are expensive but the government has deals with GSK, Regeneron, etc. They are absolutely available to regular folks and are being used more and more.

https://www.sotrovimab.com/content/dam/cf-pharma/hcp-sotrovimab-phase2/en_US/sotrovimab-hcp-co-pay-program-brochure.pdf

The height of stupidity with this Rogan stuff is the people acting like Rogan shouldn't get treatment because he said young healthy people don't need the vaccine. Why would a millionaire dozens of times over not get the best treatment for any inconvenience in their life? Unfortunately, the degradation of our society has a lot of people thinking that those they disagree with shouldn't be entitled to treatments, remedies, etc. 

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Yes, I was misleading by providing a source and the complete results of their study without my own opinion because you have some conspiracy about how you think Texas is lying about data (which I am sure you have evidence of outside of your own bias). You throw around conspiracy theorist a lot for someone who doesn't trust the data b/c of the scenarios you conjure up in their head without sourcing. But thanks for making my point that the people who aren't vaccinated shouldn't be lumped into political groups without context. I simply posted these results to show how doing that is harmful and inconsistent with the data.  

If you're just catching up, it's all the Trump voters who aren't vaccinated that are killing everyone and that group is primarily made up of young minorities. The demographic data is biased and without context because it doesn't support Balta's rigid worldview. 

The Centers for F***ing Disease Control. You think I don't do my homework here? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

1 in 1000 die from obesity every year. How many of you want to stand up and take your shirt off and look in the mirror? Or talk about it ad nauseum consistently? 

Can you catch obesity from your fellow person?  Can it be prevented by vaccination?  

also, do you believe Obesity is not a national issue?  Are you actively encouraged to get obese because science doesn't prove it kills you?

come on man, lets talk about Covid and not whatabout it

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

1 in 1000 die from obesity every year. How many of you want to stand up and take your shirt off and look in the mirror? Or talk about it ad nauseum consistently? 

I can't catch obesity by being out in the world and close proximity to other people. It's not the same thing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

But according to you, we should always be questioning things. That's science, according to you. 

So is obesity really the cause of these deaths? Maybe being obese is healthy and it's all chemicals they put in the food that makes us sick and die. WE NEED TO QUESTION THESE THINGS...

(See, that's not science, no matter how much you want it to be)

• Like 2

Obesity is also an epidemic in this country and one that gets talked about regularly all the dang time.

But it's not clogging up hospitals and burning out emergency medicine staff. And, importantly, that 1/500 is a counting stat rather than a rate state. It's only going to go up as time and deaths march steadily on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The Centers for F***ing Disease Control. You think I don't do my homework here? 

1 - Thanks for adding the "fucking" in there. Really adds a lot.

2 - Your idea that children are disproportionality minorities is irrelevant because the data provided is about adults. So 12-year-olds, who haven't had the vaccination approved for use through the period in scope, are not included in the numbers posted.

3 - You have not substantiated your theory at all. You said Texas's reporting is biased. You have not provided proof of that just that just said "fucking" and add added a couple links that didn't support that. They do have demographic info. See the link below. You also said, "states with lots of unvaccinated white people, like Texas, are selectively not reporting data." If they aren't reporting data, how do you know that there a lots of unvaccinated white people? Also, Texas has less white people per capita than more than half of the states. The KFF's demographic table shows the following demographic breakdown in Texas:

Percentage of Vaccinations in the state - Percentage of Population in the state

White - 37% - 41%
Black - 9% - 12%
Hispanic - 35% - 40%
Asian - 6% - 5%

So that shows, for the representative share of each demographic group's population, Asian - 120%, White 90.2%, Hispanic 87.5% & Black 75%.

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/AdditionalData.aspxhttps://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

• Fire 1

Is obesity even contagious? Clearly BrianAnderson was saying and obesity is contagious...

Source: Covid-19 deaths from the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus pandemic tracker and World Health Organization (WHO) Global Health Observatory adult overweight estimates

Nothing to see here folks, just take your pharmaceutical drugs (the COVID daily drugs are coming) and stay fat. It's Trump voters that are killing everyone dying of COVID. The fact that over 80% of the deaths are from obese people is just because they are more likely to be within 6 feet of Trump supporters because of their spherical figure. Nutrition, vitamins and exercise are not the point! Just take every drug the media and the pharmaceutical companies tell you to take and your obesity and personal neglect won't matter. Plus, pharma can make more money off of you being obese in the future. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Is obesity even contagious? Clearly BrianAnderson was saying and obesity is contagious...

Source: Covid-19 deaths from the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus pandemic tracker and World Health Organization (WHO) Global Health Observatory adult overweight estimates

Nothing to see here folks, just take your pharmaceutical drugs (the COVID daily drugs are coming) and stay fat. It's Trump voters that are killing everyone dying of COVID. The fact that over 80% of the deaths are from obese people is just because they are more likely to be within 6 feet of Trump supporters because of their spherical figure. Nutrition, vitamins and exercise are not the point! Just take every drug the media and the pharmaceutical companies tell you to take and your obesity and personal neglect won't matter. Plus, pharma can make more money off of you being obese in the future. 

I know, who on Earth would support a person taking drugs from the pharmaceutical industry?

On 9/3/2021 at 6:36 PM, raBBit said:

Also, why are you questioning him for taking what his doctor prescribed? You're not a doctor of medicine or a medical professional, who are you to question them?

I guess you're a medical doctor too,  right? Your standard.

22 minutes ago, raBBit said:

1 - Thanks for adding the "fucking" in there. Really adds a lot.

2 - Your idea that children are disproportionality minorities is irrelevant because the data provided is about adults. So 12-year-olds, who haven't had the vaccination approved for use through the period in scope, are not included in the numbers posted.

3 - You have not substantiated your theory at all. You said Texas's reporting is biased. You have not provided proof of that just that just said "fucking" and add added a couple links that didn't support that. They do have demographic info. See the link below. You also said, "states with lots of unvaccinated white people, like Texas, are selectively not reporting data." If they aren't reporting data, how do you know that there a lots of unvaccinated white people? Also, Texas has less white people per capita than more than half of the states. The KFF's demographic table shows the following demographic breakdown in Texas:

Percentage of Vaccinations in the state - Percentage of Population in the state

White - 37% - 41%
Black - 9% - 12%
Hispanic - 35% - 40%
Asian - 6% - 5%

So that shows, for the representative share of each demographic group's population, Asian - 120%, White 90.2%, Hispanic 87.5% & Black 75%.

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/AdditionalData.aspxhttps://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

READ YOUR OWN ARTICLE.

The CDC reports demographic characteristics, including race/ethnicity, of people receiving COVID-19 vaccinations at the national level. As of September 8, 2021, CDC reported that race/ethnicity was known for 59% of people who had received at least one dose of the vaccine.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I know, who on Earth would support a person taking drugs from the pharmaceutical industry?

I guess you're a medical doctor too,  right? Your standard.

I am not questioning any treatment a doctor prescribed. Good health and good health practice decreases the chances of needing medicines. 

35 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Here's the thing, in the numbers you quoted, yes they are. You are specifically switching from adults to total population with the numbers you are giving. Here is the text from the reference you are posting, notice the part where you say "total population in 44 states-excluding a handful of states like the one you insist is in there".

We also calculate the percent of the total population that has received a COVID-19 vaccine for 44 states that report racial/ethnic data based on people who have received at least one dose of the vaccine. (States that report race/ethnicity based on total doses administered are excluded from this analysis.) Figure 3 shows the percent of the total population who have been vaccinated by race/ethnicity in each of these states and the total across 42 of these states. (North Dakota and New Mexico are excluded from the total due to differences in how they report their data.) It also shows the ratio of vaccination rates for White people compared to those of Black, Hispanic, and Asian people, as well as the percentage point difference between vaccination rates for White people and the rates for the other groups.

Overall, across these 42 states, the percent of White people who have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose (52%) was roughly 1.2 times higher than the rate for Black people (43%) and 1.1 times higher than the rate for Hispanic people (48%) as of September 7, 2021