COVID Thread Part Deux

Chisoxfn

50 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I've read stories and seen videos of people telling horror stories of heart problems after getting vaxxed. Also, remember I've said I trust nobody? I happen to believe the media has elected to not sufficiently at least cover those who have fallen ill after being vaxxed. Hell, my nephew passed out after he got vaxxed. Yes getting vaxxed worries me about future complications, sure it does.

Your second sentence is scary to many. If ANY people have died, that is a concern. We should hear more about how many have died and how many have had heart problems so far.

BTW, I went to the doc today for my yearly blood draw, etc, to see if I need any meds for cholesterol, etc. We had a nice talk about COVID. In just shooting the breeze, he said "people are stubborn; they need to get vaccinated and we can end this Covid thing." He also said I should get the flu shot Oct. 1 and both shingles shots at my earliest convenience. Also the booster when it's approved/available. He also said masking up has virtually eliminated colds and flu. He said "there was no flu this past year." He said "there were very few common colds this past year." He said it's cause of masks.

He also was not that worried about Covid. Not so sure what that's all about but he wasn't that worried about travel and stressed one should wear masks pretty much all the time. He said he's worked non stop since covid started and has not had a cold, flu, or Covid. 

STOP READING HERE ... unless u like long posts. Just wanted to share my trip to doc today. What a poorly run profession. Of course I don't trust anybody. So I have a 3:45 pm apptment to draw blood and take my blood pressure, etc. They demanded I come in rather than approve my meds for the next month. After six months or so they want to check BP, cholly levels, etc. Fasting lab tests.

So they stress get there 15 mins early. I get there at 3:30, they take my ID and insurance card and politely demand I wear one of their masks since mine is cloth. ... I wait til 4:30 to get called. I had not eaten all day as u need to fast before the taking of blood for the lab. The only reason I saved myself a future trip later this week is I phoned in at 10 a.m. and asked if I needed to fast today; of course the receptionist initially said  on Friday when I made the appointment I did not need to fast. I was skeptical and called and they called back at 10:45 and said, 'Yes, fast all day. That's why u are coming in; for fasting labs to get your prescriptions approved or changed."

I said "I'm glad u called back cause I haven't eaten since 10 last night."

So after I get called and doc comes in the room he shoots the breeze with me for 10 minutes about things and he checks my breathing etc., He says he will approve my meds but "you need to come in for fasting labs in the near future." I said, "I haven't eaten today; to save me a trip maybe you can take blood now." he said, "Certainly I'll make sure there's a nurse." There was one nurse left at 4:50 pm, getting ready to leave. She informed the doc in front of me she has to go pick up her grandkid at day care. Doc asks her to quickly stick me saying, "he hasn't eaten all day; I hate to make him come back." She was friendly but hurried, sticks me, gets the blood and they don't even tell me to take a urine sample this time. I didn't even ask for that. I guess I was sick of running the show.

Conclusion: Had I not TWICE asked about fasting labs, I'd have had to schedule another apptment to come in and miss work, etc. I'm not mad as I rather like my doc and he's one of the best in town, but talk about a horrible experience! When it ended, I went to starbucks, got a snack and coffee and the coffee was cold. I did not return it but drank the cold coffee ruminating on a bad day.

You trust no one, yet put Joe Rogan out there as an authority.  I would imagine you are all in on Nikki's cousin too?

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

You trust no one, yet put Joe Rogan out there as an authority.  I would imagine you are all in on Nikki's cousin too?

Not an authority but I love Rogan and listening to his experiences including his one with Covid. How come you mods jump to conclusions so often? Who said I consider Rogan an authority? I love his podcast and for whatever reason I tend to believe his story about his bout with Covid despite my statement that I trust nobody. ... Also I love listening to Maher, but I don't consider him an "authority" necessarily, just somebody with an opinion worth listening to. Ditto Stern. I can list all the people I listen to if you want, yes Whitlock and Tucker Carlson, too. And I like Clay Travis and Chris Wallace. Won't watch a second of The View or Don Lemon or Cuomo. Just me.

Don't care about Nikki for some reason. Haven't followed her saga. I know she is getting canceled for something or another. I generally am against the cancel thing. The mob attacks.

Thanks for reading. Now if you wish, you can respond with a crafty, creative one sentence line to put me in my place and/or one-up me.

Peace out.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

I've read stories and seen videos of people telling horror stories of heart problems after getting vaxxed. Also, remember I've said I trust nobody? I happen to believe the media has elected to not sufficiently at least cover those who have fallen ill after being vaxxed. Hell, my nephew passed out after he got vaxxed. Yes getting vaxxed worries me about future complications, sure it does.

Your second sentence is scary to many. If ANY people have died, that is a concern. We should hear more about how many have died and how many have had heart problems so far.

Those stories are few and far between. Again, just like with most things in life, it's not 100%.

Even many birth controls are only 99% effective. That doesn't mean people should just stop using them if they want to prevent pregnancy.

The information is out there. You just have to look for it instead of waiting for the media to spoon-feed it to you.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

• Myocarditis and pericarditis after COVID-19 vaccination are rare. As of September 8, 2021, VAERS has received 1,413 reports of myocarditis or pericarditis among people ages 30 and younger who received COVID-19 vaccine. Most cases have been reported after mRNA COVID-19 vaccination (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), particularly in male adolescents and young adults. Through follow-up, including medical record reviews, CDC and FDA have confirmed 854 reports of myocarditis or pericarditis. CDC and its partners are investigating these reports to assess whether there is a relationship to COVID-19 vaccination. Learn more about COVID-19 vaccines and myocarditis.
  • Reports of death after COVID-19 vaccination are rare. More than 380 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through September 13, 2021. During this time, VAERS received 7,653 reports of death (0.0020%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine. FDA requires healthcare providers to report any death after COVID-19 vaccination to VAERS, even if it’s unclear whether the vaccine was the cause. Reports of adverse events to VAERS following vaccination, including deaths, do not necessarily mean that a vaccine caused a health problem.
Edited by Iwritecode

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

Not an authority but I love Rogan and listening to his experiences including his one with Covid. How come you mods jump to conclusions so often? Who said I consider Rogan an authority? I love his podcast and for whatever reason I tend to believe his story about his bout with Covid despite my statement that I trust nobody. ... Also I love listening to Maher, but I don't consider him an "authority" necessarily, just somebody with an opinion worth listening to. Ditto Stern. I can list all the people I listen to if you want, yes Whitlock and Tucker Carlson, too. And I like Clay Travis and Chris Wallace. Won't watch a second of The View or Don Lemon or Cuomo. Just me.

Don't care about Nikki for some reason. Haven't followed her saga. I know she is getting canceled for something or another. I generally am against the cancel thing. The mob attacks.

Thanks for reading. Now if you wish, you can respond with a crafty, creative one sentence line to put me in my place and/or one-up me.

Peace out.

Just people you can be fans of, obviously.  I mean go ahead and pretend differently, but as people are posted sources facts, you are responding with posting links to comedians and podcasts in equal responses.  You disqualify professionals because you aren't a "fan", but aren't posting any actual research material.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Just people you can be fans of, obviously.  I mean go ahead and pretend differently, but as people are posted sources facts, you are responding with posting links to comedians and podcasts in equal responses.  You disqualify professionals because you aren't a "fan", but aren't posting any actual research material.

You do a nice job of picking out one word or a sentence out of a long post and winning arguments so to speak that way. I don't even know what to say about your taking my word "fan" and running with it. I guess I'll just say you are right and leave it at that.

Just now, greg775 said:

You do a nice job of picking out one word or a sentence out of a long post and winning arguments so to speak that way. I don't even know what to say about your taking my word "fan" and running with it. I guess I'll just say you are right and leave it at that.

Post substance and I can respond with substance.  Your post was literally a list of people you listen to.

3 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I think there's a serious problem with people who push ideas with no real facts behind them. Every post of yours in this thread is just anecdotal and "gut-based" with no basis in fact or science. And then you spend an inordinate time putting entertainers on a pedestal as some sort of all-knowing truth-tellers. 

It's hard to take people like you seriously. 

48 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

That tweet really sums it up the best.

Let's say you get a nasty breakthrough case - maybe you have a naturally weak immune system. No treatment.

Unvaccinated person that has decided to help prolong this pandemic and clog hospitals? Step right up!

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

So much for all of that personal responsibility we are always being talked down to about.

I really wish “personal responsibility” had a different name. I see being responsible as getting vaccinated, wearing a mask, quarantining when appropriate, avoiding risky behaviors, etc. that’s being responsible. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quin said:

That tweet really sums it up the best.

Let's say you get a nasty breakthrough case - maybe you have a naturally weak immune system. No treatment.

Unvaccinated person that has decided to help prolong this pandemic and clog hospitals? Step right up!

Sadly, to stop the spread, the most likely to spread it need treatment.

On 9/21/2021 at 10:22 AM, greg775 said:

BTW, I went to the doc today for my yearly blood draw, etc, to see if I need any meds for cholesterol, etc. We had a nice talk about COVID. In just shooting the breeze, he said "people are stubborn; they need to get vaccinated and we can end this Covid thing." He also said I should get the flu shot Oct. 1 and both shingles shots at my earliest convenience. Also the booster when it's approved/available. He also said masking up has virtually eliminated colds and flu. He said "there was no flu this past year." He said "there were very few common colds this past year." He said it's cause of masks.

He also was not that worried about Covid. Not so sure what that's all about but he wasn't that worried about travel and stressed one should wear masks pretty much all the time. He said he's worked non stop since covid started and has not had a cold, flu, or Covid. 

STOP READING HERE ... unless u like long posts. Just wanted to share my trip to doc today. What a poorly run profession. Of course I don't trust anybody. So I have a 3:45 pm apptment to draw blood and take my blood pressure, etc. They demanded I come in rather than approve my meds for the next month. After six months or so they want to check BP, cholly levels, etc. Fasting lab tests.

So they stress get there 15 mins early. I get there at 3:30, they take my ID and insurance card and politely demand I wear one of their masks since mine is cloth. ... I wait til 4:30 to get called. I had not eaten all day as u need to fast before the taking of blood for the lab. The only reason I saved myself a future trip later this week is I phoned in at 10 a.m. and asked if I needed to fast today; of course the receptionist initially said  on Friday when I made the appointment I did not need to fast. I was skeptical and called and they called back at 10:45 and said, 'Yes, fast all day. That's why u are coming in; for fasting labs to get your prescriptions approved or changed."

I said "I'm glad u called back cause I haven't eaten since 10 last night."

So after I get called and doc comes in the room he shoots the breeze with me for 10 minutes about things and he checks my breathing etc., He says he will approve my meds but "you need to come in for fasting labs in the near future." I said, "I haven't eaten today; to save me a trip maybe you can take blood now." he said, "Certainly I'll make sure there's a nurse." There was one nurse left at 4:50 pm, getting ready to leave. She informed the doc in front of me she has to go pick up her grandkid at day care. Doc asks her to quickly stick me saying, "he hasn't eaten all day; I hate to make him come back." She was friendly but hurried, sticks me, gets the blood and they don't even tell me to take a urine sample this time. I didn't even ask for that. I guess I was sick of running the show.

Conclusion: Had I not TWICE asked about fasting labs, I'd have had to schedule another apptment to come in and miss work, etc. I'm not mad as I rather like my doc and he's one of the best in town, but talk about a horrible experience! When it ended, I went to starbucks, got a snack and coffee and the coffee was cold. I did not return it but drank the cold coffee ruminating on a bad day.

I'm starting to think you work for Starbucks, with how many times they get mentioned in Greg long posts, haha.  Although this particular story doesn't exactly promote the franchise all that effectively...

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I'm starting to think you work for Starbucks, with how many times they get mentioned in Greg long posts, haha.  Although this particular story doesn't exactly promote the franchise all that effectively...

I just anger people when I post long so I need to stop.

Since u commented, however, I will respond. My pet peeve is cold coffee when it's supposed to be hot. My go-to places are a local coffee shop where I get a booth and do some work (great coffee, normally real hot). However the KU students have discovered the place and often it's too crowded.

Next to that in the same parking lot is a Dillons grocery store with a Starbucks and huge area to work and plug in computer. I'd say 60 to 70 percent of the time coffee is acceptably hot, yesterday almost cold. Third option is Duncan Donuts which only has drive thru cause of Covid. Always hot but can't go inside. McDonald's just opened finally the lobby and their coffee is hot. Library took away their coffee area cause of Covid.

I only have two cups a day max but I enjoy it.

1 hour ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

Giving stupid people treatment doesn’t stop the spread.  Getting them vaccinated does 

The vaccine doesn't stop the spread it decreases the severity of the symptoms of the virus. 

Edited by raBBit
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The vaccine doesn't stop the spread it decreases the severity of the symptoms of the virus. 

Nonsense.  It absolutely stops the spread. Less people contract the virus with vaccine than without -> less people spread. With delta those impacts were less impactful but non delta was significant. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Nonsense.  It absolutely stops the spread. Less people contract the virus with vaccine than without -> less people spread. With delta those impacts were less impactful but non delta was significant. 

I wouldn't use the word "stops" as that implies 0% transmission which isn't the case. It does, as you noted, greatly decrease the spread.

However, if enough people got vaccinated, it would, in a short period of time, stop the spread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I wouldn't use the word "stops" as that implies 0% transmission which isn't the case. It does, as you noted, greatly decrease the spread.

However, if enough people got vaccinated, it would, in a short period of time, stop the spread.

The key here is all numbers and odds.  People who have the vaccine don't build viral load to the same extent that people who don't have the vaccine.  This vaccine was also tailored to the original vaccine strains, and now we have mutations running around which were NOT tested on this vaccine.  Preliminary reports seem to indicate that the vaccine is effective, but not as effective against strains like Delta.    So if you are looking at it in terms of odds and chances, your chances at catching COVID are highest if you don't have  the vaccine, and in areas which are seeing high level outbreaks.  They are much lower if you vaccinate.  They are lowest if you aren't around people who have covid. 

The key to beating covid is to give it as few chances as possible to replicate and mutate.  The vaccine does this really, really well is what the preliminary results are showing.  Break through cases exist, but aren't as common as unvaccinated cases.  Vaccinated cases are also less likely to pass the virus on.  They are also much less likely to take up highly needed  health resources.  None of this is 100%, but every time we push people into the lowest rungs of risk, it makes it harder for COVID to spread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I am just going off the numbers. At the start of June, half the US had received a vaccine. The 7 day average of new COVID cases was between 10-15k at the start of June. Last week, the 7 day average of new COVID vases was over 175k. So 10 weeks after the country passed the 50% threshold on vaccination rate, the number of cases went up 10-15x.

Similarly in Israel, who uses the Pfizer vaccine, their all time high case rates came when almost 65% of the population was vaccinated. The UK has seen similar trends as the US. 

At the end of August, Singapore's health minister came out saying the country passed the 80% vaccination threshold making it the most vaccinated country in the world (at that time at least). On that date, their 7 day average of COVID cases was 99. Yesterday, their 7 day average of COVID cases was 967. A nearly 10x increase in a matter of ~3 weeks. The 967 case 7 day average is the third highest daily rolling average they have ever posted (they posted 1,004 and 1005 at the end of April). If the rolling average increases in Singapore as it has nearly every day in September, one of the most vaccinated countries in the world is facing the highest case rate they've ever seen.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-singapore-is-now-the-most-vaccinated-country/a-59016931

Successful vaccines like polio and measles effectively rid the world of the virus/disease. If the vaccine stopped the spread, there would be a statistical correlation between vaccination rates and case rates. I know the conditioning implies that the vaccine is stopping the spread, but there is no such statistical correlation. Feel free to provide the data that shows otherwise though. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, raBBit said:

I am just going off the numbers. At the start of June, half the US had received a vaccine. The 7 day average of new COVID cases was between 10-15k at the start of June. Last week, the 7 day average of new COVID vases was over 175k. So 10 weeks after the country passed the 50% threshold on vaccination rate, the number of cases went up 10-15x.

Similarly in Israel, who uses the Pfizer vaccine, their all time high case rates came when almost 65% of the population was vaccinated. The UK has seen similar trends as the US. 

At the end of August, Singapore's health minister came out saying the country passed the 80% vaccination threshold making it the most vaccinated country in the world (at that time at least). On that date, their 7 day average of COVID cases was 99. Yesterday, their 7 day average of COVID cases was 967. A nearly 10x increase in a matter of ~3 weeks. The 967 case 7 day average is the third highest daily rolling average they have ever posted (they posted 1,004 and 1005 at the end of April). If the rolling average increases in Singapore as it has nearly every day in September, one of the most vaccinated countries in the world is facing the highest case rate they've ever seen.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-singapore-is-now-the-most-vaccinated-country/a-59016931

Successful vaccines like polio and measles effectively rid the world of the virus/disease. If the vaccine stopped the spread, there would be a statistical correlation between vaccination rates and case rates. I know the conditioning implies that the vaccine is stopping the spread, but there is no such statistical correlation. Feel free to provide the data that shows otherwise though. 

So you are just going to ignore Delta variant and impact of a variant that was clearly more highly contagious that came rushing out during the time frame you indicated. 

Beyond Delta - the us populations behaviors around COVID also shifted. More people living closer to normal lives. More people going out, more vacations, less restrictions etc. Not saying things back to normal but most vaccinated people made some choice to resume many things that they had stopped doing prior to being vaccinated. 

• Love 1