COVID Thread Part Deux

Chisoxfn

https://ready.vt.edu/vaccinations.html

Is there a deadline for getting my COVID-19 vaccine information to Virginia Tech in order to attend classes in the fall?

Yes. Students were required to submit their vaccination information by Aug. 6 through the Vaccine Reporting Portal.

While that date has now passed, students can still submit their information. Students that are unable to complete the full vaccine dosage by Aug. 6 but still intend to be vaccinated can email Health@vt.edu to learn about their options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Lol.  Look at all those 66k, 18-22yr old conspiracy theorists.  

Many schools are requiring vaccinations or weekly testing for admittance.  I can't say for sure what the policy is at the above pictured school, but I'd be willing to bet the majority are vaccinated.

So, I'm not sure what you meant by your comment.

6 hours ago, hogan873 said:

This is not true.  Plenty of young and healthy people have had COVID.  Although most young and/or healthy people who catch COVID recover well, they are as much at risk of catching it.

I never said young, healthy people don't get COVID. They probably get it more than any other group. I said they weren't, in the vast majority of cases, affected negatively other than a couple days of being tired/achy.

Don't forget that cases jumped again once the mask mandate was lifted "for vaccinated people only".  Everyone knew that meant no masks for anyone because who was going to police mask-wearing for unvaccinated people?  No one was going to ask anyone else if they were vaccinated.

Cases reached all time highs when mask mandates were in effect. In summer 2020, COVID went down. Leading up to November, when mask mandates were in effect and commonly accepted, cases skyrocketed to all time highs. They skyrocketed particularly in the areas where people were pro-mask like New York, New Jersey, California, Michigan, etc. 

The vast majority of new COVID cases are in unvaccinated people.  Most hospitalizations and deaths are in the unvaccinated population.  So, no, cases aren't spiking because people are getting vaccinated.  Cases are rising because people, all people, stopped wearing masks and there's still a stubborn, selfish percent of the population who refuse to get vaccinated.

You seem to look at masks as some end-all, be-solution. People re-using masks that they keep in their car is not doing anyone any good but providing mental relief for those who don't practice critical thinking. Talk to anyone who has worked in a surgical unit. 

I know Fauci said no one should wear masks at first. Then he changed it to everybody should wear masks because asymptomatic carriers of COVID could spread. Then they changed it and admitted that asymptomatic carriers can't spread covid. Yet we still had to wear masks. Then the vaccinated didn't have to wear masks. Then they had to wear them again. I can't believe people are having trouble trusting the people saying "trust the science" when the science changes on a whim regardless of what has been accepted in science for decades.

In any case, the reason cases were/are up was/is because of the delta variant not because of a masks. There is no correlation between mask mandates and cases going down if you're looking at a larger samples (countries, major metros, etc.) over a timeframe capturing the duration of the COVID pandemic.

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Many schools are requiring vaccinations or weekly testing for admittance.  I can't say for sure what the policy is at the above pictured school, but I'd be willing to bet the majority are vaccinated.

So, I'm not sure what you meant by your comment.

It's the bigotry that's commonly accepted and encouraged here and around the country unfortunately. People see young people enjoying their life and the natural reaction is to place a political motive to them and to call them names. 

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

It's the bigotry that's commonly accepted and encouraged here and around the country unfortunately. People see young people enjoying their life and the natural reaction is to place a political motive to them and to call them names. 

I agree with you here.  And what's interesting is that we're not hearing about any spikes of COVID from football games where there are 50K+ people, college or pro.  Maybe it's really not that interesting considering better than 50% of the population is vaccinated, and there is a percentage that have had COVID and are (at least temporarily) immune.

49 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I agree with you here.  And what's interesting is that we're not hearing about any spikes of COVID from football games where there are 50K+ people, college or pro.  Maybe it's really not that interesting considering better than 50% of the population is vaccinated, and there is a percentage that have had COVID and are (at least temporarily) immune.

Well, the county I was in last fall until I had to move typically had 100-200 cases per day at the peak last year, and as soon as the fall semester started they began seeing 400+ cases a day fairly regularly, along with a couple of deaths per day including at least 1 student. So...maybe you can only take so much from a lack of outbreak reporting in a country where there are so many cases in the low-vaccination areas that any attempt to do contact tracing to figure out where people got exposed is completely overwhelmed.d

42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, the county I was in last fall until I had to move typically had 100-200 cases per day at the peak last year, and as soon as the fall semester started they began seeing 400+ cases a day fairly regularly, along with a couple of deaths per day including at least 1 student. So...maybe you can only take so much from a lack of outbreak reporting in a country where there are so many cases in the low-vaccination areas that any attempt to do contact tracing to figure out where people got exposed is completely overwhelmed.d

That's a fair point.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Quick, report the post so we can all laugh at you behind the scenes. 

I can respect the transparency about the lack of leadership. You, perhaps more than anyone, have seen the lack of accountability and steered right into the personal attacks, bullying and ganging up so it's not like anyone has to pretend there is some sort of standard for mods/admins.

It went from "the board polices itself" to gestapo rule pretty quickly. All it took was Jason having a fulfilling and demanding personal life, a Trump presidency and a virus from China. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

The science has always said that COVID doesn't spread outside. However, there were political motives to stop outside gatherings last year though (Trump could fill stadiums in the South, Biden couldn't fill bus stop in his hometown). 

In this thread in March people were lecturing me about how I was crazy for saying  saying baseball should do 20% capacity. Check the data in a few weeks, if it was not alarming, raise capacity. Check the data again in a few weeks, raise the capacity again until full. That's exactly what happened in the end. You'll notice that the MLB, NFL, NCAA, etc. have never caused a breakout. 

Edited by raBBit
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, raBBit said:

However, there were political motives to stop outside gatherings last year though (Trump could fill stadiums in the South, Biden couldn't fill bus stop in his hometown). 

Thats like your opinion man. And youd think that all those anti-Trump people would have wanted his supporters to catch covid so that he would have gotten less votes. I mean if it wasnt for Covid killing 8 million Trump supporters, Trump would have absolutely beaten Biden.

Edited by Soxbadger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, raBBit said:

I can respect the transparency about the lack of leadership. You, perhaps more than anyone, have seen the lack of accountability and steered right into the personal attacks, bullying and ganging up so it's not like anyone has to pretend there is some sort of standard for mods/admins.

It went from "the board polices itself" to gestapo rule pretty quickly. All it took was Jason having a fulfilling and demanding personal life, a Trump presidency and a virus from China. 

You nailed it. 

Glad to see you're still here after all this took place. Feel free to stay as long as you'd like. 

3 hours ago, raBBit said:

Watch out. I removed the "from" and reversed the order of that phrase and got banned for it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ron883 said:

Watch out. I removed the "from" and reversed the order of that phrase and got banned for it.

Yeah, totally unfair. I mean, no one would have any problem with you saying with you saying “the skins on these potatoes are red” but if you go around yelling the former name of the Washington Football Team at people you get judged to be a racist! How unfair!

13 hours ago, raBBit said:

The science has always said that COVID doesn't spread outside. However, there were political motives to stop outside gatherings last year though (Trump could fill stadiums in the South, Biden couldn't fill bus stop in his hometown). 

In this thread in March people were lecturing me about how I was crazy for saying  saying baseball should do 20% capacity. Check the data in a few weeks, if it was not alarming, raise capacity. Check the data again in a few weeks, raise the capacity again until full. That's exactly what happened in the end. You'll notice that the MLB, NFL, NCAA, etc. have never caused a breakout. 

See here’s the funny thing. One rant before this, you said that masks clearly aren’t important and mask mandates don’t help because there are complications that make it impossible to say “mask mandates cut the number of cases here”. There are smaller scale studies that clearly demonstrate it in controlled, comparable populations, but at bigger scale you get those numbers lost in “when did the virus arrive”, “how are people behaving in private settings like holiday gatherings”, and “how many people are vaccinated” that make it harder to statistically isolate the effect of masks.

But then here, you say there were no outbreaks, and yet the states that opened early in the spring all had massive outbreaks over the summer - you specifically cited Texas in the Spring for their great work and they had a terrible outbreak. 

So in one case, you use the fact that there are many things affecting virus transmission to say “outbreaks occur here and that means something” and in the next you say “outbreaks occurred here but that means nothing”. It is an interesting and self serving set of double standards, to be sure.

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Merck is applying for EUA for a covid antiviral pill that cuts hospitalizations and deaths by up to 50%

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/10/01/us/merck-antiviral-pill-covid.amp.html

This is good news, but I can also see how the vaccine hesitant or anti-vaccine would say, “the pill helps with symptoms and keeps me out of the hospital and from dying. Why do I need to get the vaccine? Therapeutics are the way to go!”

Edited by The Beast

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

See here’s the funny thing. One rant before this, you said that masks clearly aren’t important and mask mandates don’t help because there are complications that make it impossible to say “mask mandates cut the number of cases here”. There are smaller scale studies that clearly demonstrate it in controlled, comparable populations, but at bigger scale you get those numbers lost in “when did the virus arrive”, “how are people behaving in private settings like holiday gatherings”, and “how many people are vaccinated” that make it harder to statistically isolate the effect of masks.

But then here, you say there were no outbreaks, and yet the states that opened early in the spring all had massive outbreaks over the summer - you specifically cited Texas in the Spring for their great work and they had a terrible outbreak. 

So in one case, you use the fact that there are many things affecting virus transmission to say “outbreaks occur here and that means something” and in the next you say “outbreaks occurred here but that means nothing”. It is an interesting and self serving set of double standards, to be sure.

Thanks for making these opinions for me. Keep trusting tiny studies that support your viewpoint over the the greater data sets though. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Thanks for making these opinions for me. Keep trusting tiny studies that support your viewpoint over the the greater data sets though. 

Ok, you are right. Clearly opening baseball stadiums was a mistake. The surge in Texas completely proves your point and it is irrefutable and fully consistent with the argument you just made that the large data set of a surge following that opening. Thank you for admitting you you were wrong last spring.