Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chisoxfn

COVID Thread Part Deux

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Here's the thing, in the numbers you quoted, yes they are. You are specifically switching from adults to total population with the numbers you are giving. Here is the text from the reference you are posting:

 

Where does that say children were included in the statistics? If you have to make things up, you might not have the best argument. 

First paragaraph 

As of this week, 75% of the adult population in the United States have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. While this progress represents a marked achievement in vaccinations that has led to steep declines in COVID-19 cases and deaths, vaccination coverage—and the protections provided by it—remains uneven across the country. With the continued spread of the more transmissible Delta variant, cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are rising, largely among unvaccinated people. While as of late July 2021, White adults accounted for the largest share (57%) of unvaccinated adults, Black and Hispanic people remain less likely than their White counterparts to have received a vaccine, leaving them at increased risk, particularly as the variant spreads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"total population in 44 states-excluding a handful of states like the one you insist is in there".

Can you just ctrl F for Texas? My god. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Obesity is also an epidemic in this country and one that gets talked about regularly all the dang time.

But it's not clogging up hospitals and burning out emergency medicine staff. And, importantly, that 1/500 is a counting stat rather than a rate state. It's only going to go up as time and deaths march steadily on.

You bring up a different point. How many of those that are hospitalized due to covid are actually obese? I'd imagine it's mostly obese and/or old people, along with immunocompromised (which is a significantly smaller portion of the population in comparison to the other two). How many other hospitalizations are from diseases commonly caused or exasperated by obesity?

 

I don't think obesity is talked about enough. You have too many people that try to normalize and dowplay it. It's a major detriment to our society and the hopes of getting universal healthcare.

Edited by ron883

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Where does that say children were included in the statistics? If you have to make things up, you might not have the best argument. 

First paragaraph 

As of this week, 75% of the adult population in the United States have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. While this progress represents a marked achievement in vaccinations that has led to steep declines in COVID-19 cases and deaths, vaccination coverage—and the protections provided by it—remains uneven across the country. With the continued spread of the more transmissible Delta variant, cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are rising, largely among unvaccinated people. While as of late July 2021, White adults accounted for the largest share (57%) of unvaccinated adults, Black and Hispanic people remain less likely than their White counterparts to have received a vaccine, leaving them at increased risk, particularly as the variant spreads.

Point 1, to specifically answer your question: "We also calculate the percent of the total population that has received a COVID-19 vaccine for 44 states that report racial/ethnic data"

- Children count as part of the total population.

Point 2, you need to stop and do math. You literally just quoted that 75% of the adult population have received 1 dose. Read that again. Now here are the numbers you quoted on the previous page: 68% of Asians, 52% of whites, 43% of blacks, 48% of Hispanics. Please tell me how exactly you can reach 75% out of any summation of those ethnic groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, raBBit said:

YEAH THIS DOESN'T APPLY TO WHAT I SAID. I PROVIDED THE TEXAS DEMOGRAPHIC DATA THAT YOU SAID DIDN'T EXIST. 

No I did not. I said they are "are selectively not reporting data to the CDC". The CDC says "Texas does not report demographic-specific dose number information to CDC." 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Point 1, to specifically answer your question: "We also calculate the percent of the total population that has received a COVID-19 vaccine for 44 states that report racial/ethnic data"

- Children count as part of the total population.

Point 2, you need to stop and do math. You literally just quoted that 75% of the adult population have received 1 dose. Read that again. Now here are the numbers you quoted on the previous page: 68% of Asians, 52% of whites, 43% of blacks, 48% of Hispanics. Please tell me how exactly you can reach 75% out of any summation of those ethnic groups.

2000% of native americans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Beast said:

 That’s not what I am taking about. I’m saying people need to read different sources and consider both perspectives instead of focusing on what is covered and what is not. I couldn’t care less about their agendas.

I definitely think people should consider both perspectives as you say. I contend not all anti-vaxxers are wacko conspiracy theorists. I think many anti-vaxxers are normal people with their reasons. People should listen to each other. Instead, I've noticed intolerance. For instance I've noticed if I stray and say anything negative about Fauci or Covid in my posts here, I better duck. Peeps get MAD. It's an opinion, folks. We need to consider all opinions cause I guarantee u I'm not the only one who thinks my way on Covid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

You shared Rogan here like, yesterday, without a hint of irony or humor, correct?

I love Rogan. Totally love his takes and commentary. And interviews. I can't be the only one. He makes good $$ doing his thing on spotify or wherever the heck he does it. I only see 9-12 minute snippits on youtube. ... And I also like Howard Stern and Bill Maher. Maher is liberal; Stern has been so outspoken about those who won't get vaxxed. He's even sort of celebrated some loudmouth anti vax radio guys dying this week. I wish everybody would be open enough to listen to all types (Rogan, Stern, Maher, Whitlock, Clay Travis, barstool guy, I enjoy ALL OF THEM).

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I have listened to his podcast many times. I understand that he is a comedian who brings in guests for alternating views.  I also understand that there are many people that buy into his health views and use them as proof in questioning professionals.  Greg did not present him as a comedian, Greg presented him as someone who beat Covid by non traditional methods even though the guy got the monoclonal treatment that normal Joe's can't afford 

If you are implying the "monoclonal treatment that normal Joe's can't afford" works and is an effective plan to make sure you don't suffer severe Covid symptoms, then by gosh pharm and President Joe and Kamala and Fauci need to tell us that and MAKE IT AFFORDABLE. Vaccines have been free. If Rogan's plan worked, then by gosh, bring it on for everybody FDA!!! CDC, whomever. Test it. Bring it. This is a crisis, folks. If Trump and Joe Rogan took the right medicines, let's do it if it works. Or at least explore it. Money should be no object during a pandemic.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, raBBit said:

Balta is like a Youtube commenter just adding "fucking" and caps locks to his posts instead of you know, supporting his theories. 

Tolerance, calmness and kindness. Without these things America is doomed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I definitely think people should consider both perspectives as you say. I contend not all anti-vaxxers are wacko conspiracy theorists. I think many anti-vaxxers are normal people with their reasons. People should listen to each other. Instead, I've noticed intolerance. For instance I've noticed if I stray and say anything negative about Fauci or China in my posts here, I better duck. Peeps get MAD. It's an opinion, folks. We need to consider all opinions cause I guarantee u I'm not the only one who thinks my way on Covid.

p.s. sorry for all the consecutive posts; trying to respond to those who made comments regarding things I said here or asked questions

 

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marqhead said:

I can't catch obesity by being out in the world and close proximity to other people. It's not the same thing.

haha it worked. i knew this would be the response and didn't even have to think twice about it. no shit you catch being fat. my response is a response that is meant to have you take a step back and think .... covid response ... vs. obesity response ... one kills 2:1 .... the response is 100:1, or maybe 1,000:1. or maybe 10,000:1  (and thats not considering those who have died of covid with comorbidities like obesity). That's all. the world has lost their mind. if you don't think obesity has a factor in not only regular every day deaths, but also in covid? i dunno man. i can tell you i have family members that are obese and family members who are not obese ... you know who i worry about with covid? and you're lying to yourself if you aren't thinking the same. you know damn well you have fat friends and family v. those in shape ... who do you worry more about? 

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Obesity is also an epidemic in this country and one that gets talked about regularly all the dang time.

But it's not clogging up hospitals and burning out emergency medicine staff. And, importantly, that 1/500 is a counting stat rather than a rate state. It's only going to go up as time and deaths march steadily 

Estat-children-fig.png

That chart doesn't look pretty. and BMI is bullshit. BMI is the simplest, reduction test of obesity. michael jordan is obese by this standard.. but obese people do clog up the hospitals.. and they love it. they love the revenue and the money that comes from it. the insurance companies love it. they love making the money off it. why? because it's predictable. they can know through actuary and math the controlled rate of sickness coming in. With that they can model response and make money off of it.

 ultimately this board goes back and forth and back and forth and back and forth page after page. the bell curve on covid is the same as every single bell curve in the world. the standard deviation is the same. just try and be in the bell. if you're not in the bell you're just going to be an angry irrational human being fighting for whatever you're fighting for without seeing other sides. if you can't see that (and not you whoever im quote responding to, the board) there are other angles, sides, and incentives in a story this world wide? then you're not considering enough.

I'll gladly be the person who takes shit on this board. you can bold and quote select anything you want. at least im driving discussion instead of just parroting stats. just cause i have a vaccine doesn't mean i have to fall in line with whatever the vaccine crowd wants to hear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ron883 said:

You bring up a different point. How many of those that are hospitalized due to covid are actually obese? I'd imagine it's mostly obese and/or old people, along with immunocompromised (which is a significantly smaller portion of the population in comparison to the other two). How many other hospitalizations are from diseases commonly caused or exasperated by obesity?

 

I don't think obesity is talked about enough. You have too many people that try to normalize and dowplay it. It's a major detriment to our society and the hopes of getting universal healthcare.

Iirc it's like 75% hospitalized are overweight.... But 73% of Americans are overweight so it really isn't saying too much. I don't know if the recent CDC talked specifically about obesity, but that's nearly 40% of Americans too. Even if every American was a triathlon athlete, we'd still have had hundreds of thousands of deaths and millions of hospitalizations.

 

It's not good and it's a huge socioeconomic issue as well as a food "science" issue where garbage food is made as addictive as possible.

 

But all that said, epidemic obesity has many negative impacts on society, but not to the level a highly contagious and fairly deadly respiratory virus does. We've all seen and are still living with those impacts. Comparing the two strictly on death rate misses a rather large forest for a single tree.

Edited by StrangeSox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

haha it worked. i knew this would be the response and didn't even have to think twice about it. no shit you catch being fat. my response is a response that is meant to have you take a step back and think .... covid response ... vs. obesity response ... one kills 2:1 .... the response is 100:1, or maybe 1,000:1. or maybe 10,000:1  (and thats not considering those who have died of covid with comorbidities like obesity). That's all. the world has lost their mind. if you don't think obesity has a factor in not only regular every day deaths, but also in covid? i dunno man. i can tell you i have family members that are obese and family members who are not obese ... you know who i worry about with covid? and you're lying to yourself if you aren't thinking the same. you know damn well you have fat friends and family v. those in shape ... who do you worry more about? 

Estat-children-fig.png

That chart doesn't look pretty. and BMI is bullshit. BMI is the simplest, reduction test of obesity. michael jordan is obese by this standard.. but obese people do clog up the hospitals.. and they love it. they love the revenue and the money that comes from it. the insurance companies love it. they love making the money off it. why? because it's predictable. they can know through actuary and math the controlled rate of sickness coming in. With that they can model response and make money off of it.

 ultimately this board goes back and forth and back and forth and back and forth page after page. the bell curve on covid is the same as every single bell curve in the world. the standard deviation is the same. just try and be in the bell. if you're not in the bell you're just going to be an angry irrational human being fighting for whatever you're fighting for without seeing other sides. if you can't see that (and not you whoever im quote responding to, the board) there are other angles, sides, and incentives in a story this world wide? then you're not considering enough.

I'll gladly be the person who takes shit on this board. you can bold and quote select anything you want. at least im driving discussion instead of just parroting stats. just cause i have a vaccine doesn't mean i have to fall in line with whatever the vaccine crowd wants to hear. 

Obesity was causing full hospitals and completely burnt out emergency medicine staff and medicine shortages? Can you point me to this information?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Obesity was causing full hospitals and completely burnt out emergency medicine staff and medicine shortages? Can you point me to this information?

haha it worked again. BA knew this would be your response.

BA - educate this poster please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, raBBit said:

Is obesity even contagious? Clearly BrianAnderson was saying and obesity is contagious...

Source: Covid-19 deaths from the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus pandemic tracker and World Health Organization (WHO) Global Health Observatory adult overweight estimates

Nothing to see here folks, just take your pharmaceutical drugs (the COVID daily drugs are coming) and stay fat. It's Trump voters that are killing everyone dying of COVID. The fact that over 80% of the deaths are from obese people is just because they are more likely to be within 6 feet of Trump supporters because of their spherical figure. Nutrition, vitamins and exercise are not the point! Just take every drug the media and the pharmaceutical companies tell you to take and your obesity and personal neglect won't matter. Plus, pharma can make more money off of you being obese in the future. 

China, Singapore, Vietnam and to a lesser extent Thailand have all taken draconian measures to prevent Covid spread.

The closest countries where you might have similar lock downs but more "obese" people would have to be Australia and New Zealand.

 

And Thailand now has an increasing Delta death rate because they waited too long to join the vaccine pipeline...95% of their vaccines are from China, and dubious against Delta.

 

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

Obesity was causing full hospitals and completely burnt out emergency medicine staff and medicine shortages? Can you point me to this information?

Well, it must be happening in the Deep South (Alabama and Mississippi) because .... "fill in the stereotype"

 

This whole overweight issue is just another red herring.

I don't see anyone arguing we should take guns away from people because that's yet another leading cause of death.

As far as Republican talking points go, it's a complete failure...look at all the the pushback Michelle Obama got when she attempted to get involved in school food/nutrition, and that was young people.  Generally, protecting young people is universally popular as a polling issue.

But make it "big government," "mandates," "taking control away or decision-making authority from local officials," each and every time "freedom" and Americans being allowed to do whatever they want, no matter how harmful to their health it is will win out.

Why not take away alcohol from everyone, that's another huge issue, right?

Why not outlaw cigarettes, too?

 

If anything, guns, cigarettes and alcohol (through drunk driving) all are better comparisons to Covid-19 because they can impact OTHERS around you....not just your own personal health (or insurance rates.)

Of course, many Republicans are screaming now about insurance companies not paying out benefits from Covid deaths when unvaccinated.   Shocking.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, greg775 said:

I definitely think people should consider both perspectives as you say. I contend not all anti-vaxxers are wacko conspiracy theorists. I think many anti-vaxxers are normal people with their reasons. People should listen to each other. Instead, I've noticed intolerance. For instance I've noticed if I stray and say anything negative about Fauci or Covid in my posts here, I better duck. Peeps get MAD. It's an opinion, folks. We need to consider all opinions cause I guarantee u I'm not the only one who thinks my way on Covid.

Opinions are like assholes.  Everyone has one, and they usually stink.  An opinion is not science.  An opinion does not trump science.  The science, the research, and the damn results prove that the vaccines work.  Anti-vaxxers saying they need more information or need to some research for themselves are full of shit.  I don't want to hear from anti-vaxxers.  They are selfish, ignorant people who are literally causing this pandemic to continue rolling.  And that's NOT an opinion.  That's a fact.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Opinions are like assholes.  Everyone has one, and they usually stink.  An opinion is not science.  An opinion does not trump science.  The science, the research, and the damn results prove that the vaccines work.  Anti-vaxxers saying they need more information or need to some research for themselves are full of shit.  I don't want to hear from anti-vaxxers.  They are selfish, ignorant people who are literally causing this pandemic to continue rolling.  And that's NOT an opinion.  That's a fact.

Yeah when I referred to looking at multiple perspectives it is mostly trying to understand another person’s perspective or understanding both sides of an issue before having an opinion. Not many people read or consider both sides before making their opinion known or formulating an opinion.

That being said, I am in the pro-vaccine camp and tried to understand the vaccine hesitant and their reasons, but some of them just aren’t holding up. For example, the one where the vaccine needed full FDA approval. Some people still said it was rushed and just used an empty reason as an excuse not to get it. People who are strictly anti-vaxxers I will probably never understand, since I don’t understand how their arguments hold up. Just the other day I read how some people are trying to falsify religious exemptions to avoid the vaccine mandate, which I hope HR departments and counsel weed out instead of grant, unless it is legitimate. I’d have to find the story but there were people reaching out to priests out of state for letters to get their religious exemption approved. It doesn’t seem right.

49 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

 

 

 

Can’t wait to get my son vaccinated, especially since his mother will be on board and we want the chance to protect him more fully. I’m glad we will finally get that chance even under the EUA since we won’t need full approval to persuade us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're talking about horse past or horse dewormer just know that you are susceptible to propaganda. Joe Rogan didn't take horse dewormer. India isn't giving their people horse paste. Maybe a few idiots that work on a farm took a form of a drug used for humans in a different form and it got extensive media coverage. Maybe the media lied about hospitals having issues due to horse dewormer. Ivermectin is an essential medicine per the WHO. The creator of ivermectin for human application won the nobel prize. Whether it's an acceptable treatment for COVID varies on the doctor. You don't have to deliberately lie about things because you want everyone to get vaccinated. Ivermectin is being maligned because it is a generic drug that Big Pharma makes pennies off of. 

  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ivermectin is being maligned because people are taking it improperly for a disease it’s not approved for. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Ivermectin is an essential medicine per the WHO. The creator of ivermectin for human application won the nobel prize. Whether it's an acceptable treatment for COVID varies on the doctor. You don't have to deliberately lie about things because you want everyone to get vaccinated. Ivermectin is being maligned because it is a generic drug that Big Pharma makes pennies off of. 

Ivermectin was created and approved for human application in the treatment of parasites. It got a Nobel prize because human parasite infections are much more common in developing countries and this medicine helped raise the standard of living in some of the poorest areas of the world.

The very concept of a drug that treats parasites being used to fight a virus is just flat-out ridiculous. Doctors didn't start the concept of using ivermectin. It got mentioned repeatedly on Fox News, and idiots went running to their doctors demanding that they prescribe it. A very small number were desperate enough to keep their patients' business that they relented, and for those who didn't that's when people found out that you can guy ivermectin over the counter and never bothered to consider that the OTC dosage was for a 1500 pound horse and not a 150 pound human.

It has nothing to do with big pharma and how much is being made. If there were a brand new horse-dewormer that Eli Lily had just patented and was selling for a huge profit, it wouldn't suddenly be an often-recommended medication for COVID.

PS: LaPorte is one of the trashiest places I've ever been in NWI. There are parts of Hammond that are nicer than most of LaPorte.

Edited by WhiteSoxFan1993
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Marqhead said:

Ivermectin is being maligned because people are taking it improperly for a disease it’s not approved for. 

And for which there is literally zero evidence of it being effective.  These people are fucking morons.  All over hydroxychloroquine last year and now Ivermectin but not over proven successful vaccines.  It's too bad this stupidity didn't impact other people or I'd be perfectly content that we just have a bunch of Darwin award winners.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×