White Sox at Blue Jays Gamethread, Lynn vs. Manoah, 6:07pm CDT

Greg Hibbard

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Oh I’m sure he is injured, and at this point just hope he doesn’t go on the IL.  If anything, want him healthy for Cubs and Pirates and Royals as this team needs to rack up wins while Indians play Red Sox.

I actually dont think the Indians have given up.  If civale and Bieber come back in a week or two and they can get to 4-5 games behind they have a 5 game set with the sox in cleveland which they can go all in to win, I know its a long shot for sure but its something for them to play for. The sox do need to pull together some wins. Road Warriors we are not. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Oh I’m sure he is injured, and at this point just hope he doesn’t go on the IL.  If anything, want him healthy for Cubs and Pirates and Royals as this team needs to rack up wins while Indians play Red Sox.

You still worried  about the Indians?

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Who's to say his legs haven't  been barking  since that series?

He played fine on Friday didn't he? If anything, he probably showed off his speed more on Friday than any other game this year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

They get to play the Rangers for 3 coming up and just swept the Angels. They've been pitching their ass off. If we keep playing like crap they can be as close as 6 games back come Thursday. As much as I'd like to think the race is over, it's kind of not if we continue the bad play we've had as of late. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

They get to play the Rangers for 3 coming up and just swept the Angels. They've been pitching their ass off. If we keep playing like crap they can be as close as 6 games back come Thursday. As much as I'd like to think the race is over, it's kind of not if we continue the bad play we've had as of late. 

come on man. not happening. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Sox are basically right in the range they were at the same point of 2005. They obviously should be safe but that 5 game series lurking in Cleveland could be dangerous if they let the Indians keep making up more ground.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sure, things can get uncomfortable if Jays sweep the Sox and Indians sweep the Rangers.  Sox just lost 2.5 games in 4 days.

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

You guys are both too smart to be spending this much time paying attention to a team that has 0.1% playoff odds on August 23rd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox are basically right in the range they were at the same point of 2005. They obviously should be safe but that 5 game series lurking in Cleveland could be dangerous if they let the Indians keep making up more ground.

I'm still haunted by the 4 game series there last year. 

Just now, fathom said:

It took Cleveland until yesterday to even reach .500. They aren't the 2005 Guardians. They're an objectively average team that would need to play way over their heads and require the Sox to have 6 weeks from hell for this to even get remotely tense. Not going to happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

It took Cleveland until yesterday to even reach .500. They aren't the 2005 Guardians. They're an objectively average team that would need to play way over their heads and require the Sox to have 6 weeks from hell for this to even get remotely tense. Not going to happen.

Yep.  The 2005 Guardians were a really good team.  Many people don't remember how good the AL Central was that year.  Likely the best division in baseball (during that two year stretch where the AL Central was the best in baseball) and the Guardians just were playing up to their potential.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Would you say the race would get remotely tense if we are only 6 or 7 games up by Thursday? 

30 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

It is complete nonsense.  Even if the White Sox play .500 the rest of the way Cleveland would need to play .750 baseball.  If they can do that they deserve the division.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Would you say the race would get remotely tense if we are only 6 or 7 games up by Thursday? 

This is kind of the point, though. So many unlikely (but not impossible) events need to occur for this race to go from non existent to maybe if you squint hard enough and don't think logically or look at playoff odds you can find a reason to have mild concern.

That would still leave the Sox in a position where they're a vastly superior team, have the 2nd largest division lead in baseball, and a very cushy upcoming schedule. Even if that were to happen, I think the Sox would still have playoff and divisional odds in the 99% range. So, no, I  would not be worried. You've essentially just described the position the Brewers are in now (but with 4 extra games off the schedule, which would matter) and I don't think you would say the Brewers are in real danger of losing the NL Central, would you? And they have a much better team chasing them than the Sox do.

I'm not smart enough to do the math on this, but the pace Cleveland would have to outplay the Sox by (if extrapolated over 162 game season) to make up 9.5 games in a 6 week span is so extraordinary it's not something I spend anytime worrying about. And when there are objective measures like playoff odds, particularly this late in the season, giving Cleveland a 0.1% chance of winning the division I see no reason to go against that.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, chw42 said:

This team has seemed like they've been coasting for 2 months now. I don't think a 7 game lead by the end of the week would seem particularly tense, but I do wonder what it would be like for them to suddenly feel like they've got a target on them.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

This team has seemed like they've been coasting for 2 months now. I don't think a 7 game lead by the end of the week would seem particularly tense, but I do wonder what it would be like for them to suddenly feel like they've got a target on them.

Maybe feeling a bit threatened is what the team and managerial staff actually needs.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic