White Sox at Blue Jays Gamethread, Lynn vs. Manoah, 6:07pm CDT

Greg Hibbard

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Uh, hes given up 6 run in 9.1 innings. Even if he throws 9 scoreless in a row his era is far from dominant for a reliever. Tepera will very likely finish the year with better numbers as a sox than kimbrel..

This is down the stretch pal. They're an average road team and elite home team. Getting home field doesn't mean everything but it matters. Kimbrel has already blown more games than a replacement reliever likely would ROS.

Ahh, so now we're using ERA for set up men. Got it. 

8 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

What is our record now with Tim Anderson out of the lineup?

2020-2021 W/L Records - Games Played / Managed

• Billy Hamilton 36-21 .632
  • Yermin Mercedes 43-26 .623
  • Seby Zavala 17-11 .607
  • Leury Garcia 66-44 .600
  • Tim Anderson 91-62 .594
  • Rick Renteria 35-25 .583
  • Nick Madrigal 48-35 .578
  • Eloy Jimenez 45-33 .577
  • Chicago White Sox (2020-2021) 107-79 .575
  • Yoan Moncada 95-71 .572
  • Tony La Russa 72-54 .571
  • Jose Abreu 102-77 .570
  • Yasmani Grandal 61-48 .560
  • Luis Robert 51-41 .554
  • Danny Mendick 54-44 .551
  • Cesar Hernandez 12-11 .522
  • Jake Lamb 17-23 .425

23 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

Part of the problem.woth Kimbrel (and Hendricks) is that they are scared any ball with any amount of movement is not going to be caught.  This catching situation is a disaster but should improve when Grandal comes back (however we have to.keep him healthy or our postseason wont last long)

Why wouldn't Lynn have the same fear? He couldn't have been too scared since he did a great job shutting down their offense. 

24 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

One of those guys is getting old, one isn't as good as they thought he would be, two are coming back from serious injuries and one is a rookie who is learning at the major league level.

Sox are looking like the Blackhawks of late. A core of stars with a minor league/ journeymen supporting cast.  We need to upgrade the supporting cast.

• Like 1

We need to risk a game and let Kimbrel close and Liam pitch the 8th. Worth the risk to try and get Kimberly head straight. If that doesn’t work we lost in this trade.  Another thought, why not bat Moncada lead off until TA is ready. With Robert and Abreu hitting after him, he’s got to see better pitches. He has improved lately and seeing the ball better 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

You do realize Greg that other teams have worse injury issues than the Sox now?  Sox have had amazing pitching luck with injuries and are getting healthier now.  Toronto is missing Springer, who was playing out of his mind.  Yankees are killing teams now with half their roster out over the last month.

Other teams don’t have the division lead the White Sox do either.   LaRussa has already stated that if it was the playoffs, TA would be playing and you can bet that would be the case too if we were fighting for the playoffs.   I know some of you don’t like it, but TA, Grandal, and others (especially pitchers) are going to be used conservatively in the final 6 weeks of the season.   From what we’ve seen already, the plan is to position ourselves for the playoffs….not to maximize our record in the regular season.  I agree with the approach but if you don’t, you need to learn to accept it or these upcoming weeks are going to be brutal for you to watch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ahh, so now we're using ERA for set up men. Got it. 

Lol wtf are you using? Holy cow. Runs given up is all that matters at this point. His expected numbers dont improve the teams results. 

I'm a projection guy as much as the next guy but projections don't win games or reverse whats happened. Were evaluating his results since that's what we traded for. Not his expected results. 

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, greg775 said:

You have to admit some of the White Sox players who have been gracing the lineup the past many weeks are very very bad baseball hitters. Hard to survive injuries.

Yankees and Tampa have had just as many injuries as White Sox and they are rolling along. Now maybe they have better role players but what we saw in NY series was not much better. 

• Like 1

It’s too late to upgrade. Trade deadline over and the waiver wire has nothing. We go with what we have. PS, getting Grandal back will be like a trading deadline deal like getting Robert and Jimenez back in July. Don’t be so negative, we are still the best team in Central. LOL. I KNOW LIKE BEING THE TALLEST MIDGET. But we are a force still because of our starting staff and closer(s). We’ll be fine in September 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

It’s too late to upgrade. Trade deadline over and the waiver wire has nothing. We go with what we have. PS, getting Grandal back will be like a trading deadline deal like getting Robert and Jimenez back in July. Don’t be so negative, we are still the best team in Central. LOL. I KNOW LIKE BEING THE TALLEST MIDGET. But we are a force still because of our starting staff and closer(s). We’ll be fine in September 

I don't think it's unreasonable to at least worry that this is the team we will get in October.  I truly believe the starting pitching will keep us in games... the fears I have is the offense letting us down and/or the bullpen imploding.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Sox are looking like the Blackhawks of late. A core of stars with a minor league/ journeymen supporting cast.  We need to upgrade the supporting cast.

What a horrible and stupid comparison. Seriously you thought this was good? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

Other teams don’t have the division lead the White Sox do either.   LaRussa has already stated that if it was the playoffs, TA would be playing and you can bet that would be the case too if we were fighting for the playoffs.   I know some of you don’t like it, but TA, Grandal, and others (especially pitchers) are going to be used conservatively in the final 6 weeks of the season.   From what we’ve seen already, the plan is to position ourselves for the playoffs….not to maximize our record in the regular season.  I agree with the approach but if you don’t, you need to learn to accept it or these upcoming weeks are going to be brutal for you to watch.

So what is going to be happening is that after switching all the wiring around they are going to switch it back where it belongs at the end and expect the machine to run perfectly as soon as they flip the switch. Okay....

• Fire 2

14 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

So what is going to be happening is that after switching all the wiring around they are going to switch it back where it belongs at the end and expect the machine to run perfectly as soon as they flip the switch. Okay....

Exactly this, I don’t understand why everyone thinks there is this switch that can be turned on and off by a team whose core has 3 games worth of playoff experience. Trying to do my best to stay away from the ledge but these types of losses against contenders (whether the Blue Jays make the playoffs or not) is still concerning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

2020-2021 W/L Records - Games Played / Managed

• Billy Hamilton 36-21 .632
  • Yermin Mercedes 43-26 .623
  • Seby Zavala 17-11 .607
  • Leury Garcia 66-44 .600
  • Tim Anderson 91-62 .594
  • Rick Renteria 35-25 .583
  • Nick Madrigal 48-35 .578
  • Eloy Jimenez 45-33 .577
  • Chicago White Sox (2020-2021) 107-79 .575
  • Yoan Moncada 95-71 .572
  • Tony La Russa 72-54 .571
  • Jose Abreu 102-77 .570
  • Yasmani Grandal 61-48 .560
  • Luis Robert 51-41 .554
  • Danny Mendick 54-44 .551
  • Cesar Hernandez 12-11 .522
  • Jake Lamb 17-23 .425

Leury Garcia more valuable than TA confirmed. 

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic