White Sox at Blue Jays Gamethread, Lynn vs. Manoah, 6:07pm CDT

Greg Hibbard

56 minutes ago, Tony said:

Ahh, so now we're using ERA for set up men. Got it. 

You just want to go off holds? 6 runs in 9 innings is terrible regardless of your stance on “ERA” any way you look at it. At this moment he’s pitching like Foster and Marshall were in the beginning of the year. 

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

2020-2021 W/L Records - Games Played / Managed

• Billy Hamilton 36-21 .632
  • Yermin Mercedes 43-26 .623
  • Seby Zavala 17-11 .607
  • Leury Garcia 66-44 .600
  • Tim Anderson 91-62 .594
  • Rick Renteria 35-25 .583
  • Nick Madrigal 48-35 .578
  • Eloy Jimenez 45-33 .577
  • Chicago White Sox (2020-2021) 107-79 .575
  • Yoan Moncada 95-71 .572
  • Tony La Russa 72-54 .571
  • Jose Abreu 102-77 .570
  • Yasmani Grandal 61-48 .560
  • Luis Robert 51-41 .554
  • Danny Mendick 54-44 .551
  • Cesar Hernandez 12-11 .522
  • Jake Lamb 17-23 .425

Missing Goodwin.  Don’t expect his record to be great.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

2020-2021 W/L Records - Games Played / Managed

• Billy Hamilton 36-21 .632
  • Yermin Mercedes 43-26 .623
  • Seby Zavala 17-11 .607
  • Leury Garcia 66-44 .600
  • Tim Anderson 91-62 .594
  • Rick Renteria 35-25 .583
  • Nick Madrigal 48-35 .578
  • Eloy Jimenez 45-33 .577
  • Chicago White Sox (2020-2021) 107-79 .575
  • Yoan Moncada 95-71 .572
  • Tony La Russa 72-54 .571
  • Jose Abreu 102-77 .570
  • Yasmani Grandal 61-48 .560
  • Luis Robert 51-41 .554
  • Danny Mendick 54-44 .551
  • Cesar Hernandez 12-11 .522
  • Jake Lamb 17-23 .425

So Billy Hamilton is the most valuable player.  I feel vindicated 

1 hour ago, sin city sox fan said:

Other teams don’t have the division lead the White Sox do either.   LaRussa has already stated that if it was the playoffs, TA would be playing and you can bet that would be the case too if we were fighting for the playoffs.   I know some of you don’t like it, but TA, Grandal, and others (especially pitchers) are going to be used conservatively in the final 6 weeks of the season.   From what we’ve seen already, the plan is to position ourselves for the playoffs….not to maximize our record in the regular season.  I agree with the approach but if you don’t, you need to learn to accept it or these upcoming weeks are going to be brutal for you to watch.

The strange thing is that LaRussa didn't take this approach in 1983 when the Sox had a big lead and clinched the division early. The day after the Sox clinched, Richard Dotson threw a complete game shutout.  Position for the playoffs? Maybe we shouldn't assume they will be in the playoffs.

• Fire 1

this team hasnt been very good since the all star break...

It's a combination of many factors but one is the way that our manager continues to kill momentum when ever we have it.

the game the other day when we put out a shit line -up for DK started this shit all over again.

however our hitters also need to get their heads out of their asses.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chw42 said:

Leury Garcia more is valuable than TA confirmed

He is valuable due to the lack of any better backup options in the infield / outfield. He's also valuable since for the most part he answers the bell, can be counted on to be available most games (as are Anderson, Moncada, Abreu and Andrew Vaughn, who is 61-48 .560).

Jose, the much maligned Yoan Moncada, and Tim are 91-102 win studs carrying the offense. Andrew is picking up the mantle with his outstanding rookie season. Hopefully Eloy and Luis can begin to stay healthy starting next season, since both have played in less than half of the team's games since 2020.

When Engel went on the IL and the Sox shortened their bench by bringing up a pitcher to replace him, the Sox have been really short-handed. In addition to having a 3 man bench instead of 4, at least one starter has been rested every day so not bringing up another bat has been looking really bad.

As soon as I saw that TA was out again, I didn't even bother watching the game, it was a predictable ending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

When Engel went on the IL and the Sox shortened their bench by bringing up a pitcher to replace him, the Sox have been really short-handed. In addition to having a 3 man bench instead of 4, at least one starter has been rested every day so not bringing up another bat has been looking really bad.

As soon as I saw that TA was out again, I didn't even bother watching the game, it was a predictable ending.

I think Engel is a lot more valuable to the Sox than some may think. 

1 minute ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

He's valuable when healthy, but he hasn't been for quite a while now.

Well, that goes without saying, his being on the IL a big part of this season has really hurt the club, we had to see too much of Goodwin and days were Vaughn played right field, Andrew is much better in left field.

17 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, if he was really hurt, they'd put him on the DL.  He's clearly dealing with something, but I don't really think we need to jump off the ledge. 

That said, its tough to win ballgames without TA, so hope he gets right soon.  

No, there is no need to jump off the ledge. But it is odd for a player like Anderson to sit out three games in a row. If he sits out a fourth game, there is need to worry.

Just saw the lowlights, I really dont think even this team can piss away a 9 game lead no matter how dismal their offense can be on any given day

So time to get off the ledge folks. Do I think this team can go deep in the playoffs? Now thats very questionable, I'm not betting on it at all

5 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Just saw the lowlights, I really dont think even this team can piss away a 9 game lead no matter how dismal their offense can be on any given day

So time to get off the ledge folks. Do I think this team can go deep in the playoffs? Now thats very questionable, I'm not betting on it at all

Holy Crap, I didn't realize it was down to a 9 game lead....thanks, now I am looking at that ledge and it looks enticing.

15 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Fwiw, the Yankees have gained 9.5 games on the White Sox in the last month. So, if the Sox finish the season playing this level of .500ish ball, that’s the type of run it would take.

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic