Complain about Kimbrel here:

2Deep

He got the save yesterday, but the hit he gave up, the rocket by Semien, would all be a huge deal if he had pitched the 8th and did exactly the same thing..   The only difference was he wasn't ridiculously wild on a few pitches . Personally, I think the need to close is a nothingburger. Just going through a stretch. Get the bad stuff out of the system.

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He got the save yesterday, but the hit he gave up, the rocket by Semien, would all be a huge deal if he had pitched the 8th and did exactly the same thing..   The only difference was he wasn't ridiculously wild on a few pitches . Personally, I think the need to close is a nothingburger. Just going through a stretch. Get the bad stuff out of the system.

How about his velocity being up in the role?

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

How about his velocity being up in the role?

It was 97. It's been 96 or 97 in the 8th. 

You know if he pitched the 8th inning yesterday, you would be focused on the hit, and the rocket by Semien. Except for the 2 home runs,  Kimbrel has been snakebit as a White Sox. 

35 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree. He looked nasty in the first AB, but the next two I’d like to see the exit velocity on the line out and base hit. He didn’t look overly impressive to me. 

For everyone who thinks the 8th or 9th inning means anything to Kimbrel, it doesn't. He said how he pitched in his save had nothing to do with the inning and everything to do with fixes he's been working on. I realize the timing of him being bad in anything other than the 9th would make fans and media speculate it makes a difference or it was a bad move to force him to pitch in any other role but closer. But if he says his badness was due to making mistakes in his delivery  I'll go with that.

Baseball On Fanatics on youtube video of the post game interview . It's the last question in the sequence.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

For everyone who thinks the 8th or 9th inning means anything to Kimbrel, it doesn't. He said how he pitched in his save had nothing to do with the inning and everything to do with fixes he's been working on. I realize the timing of him being bad in anything other than the 9th would make fans and media speculate it makes a difference or it was a bad move to force him to pitch in any other role but closer. But if he says his badness was due to making mistakes in his delivery  I'll go with that.

Baseball On Fanatics on youtube video of the post game interview . It's the last question in the sequence.

Don't bother. If Kimbrel isn't closing, the deal is AWFUL. 

cc: @fathom

3 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I agree. He looked nasty in the first AB, but the next two I’d like to see the exit velocity on the line out and base hit. He didn’t look overly impressive to me. 

If he doesn't pitch an immaculate inning, he's bad.

To be honest, a lot of times, the outs closers get come on hard hit balls that defense do their thing on.  The base hit was actually a good pitch he made to like the best hitter on the planet at the moment.  I'll take a do nothing base hit against Guerrero anytime of the week.

• Haha 1

The Sox have thrust him into situations he’s just not comfortable in.  8th inning situations and then a seven run lead over a team like the Cubs.

You can see it in his eyes.  He’s trying, but he’s a future HOF reliever, and it’s almost like asking Abreu to play shortstop.  

On paper having he and Liam back-to-back in the late innings sounds great, but obviously in reality, it’s not working.  

• Haha 7

Well, so much for that change in delivery. 

Won the game, but that should be a guarantee against a team has awful as the Cubs. 

The fact that we have to hold onto our nuts with a 7 run lead in the 9th is a terrible indication. Kimbrel blows and he needs to put up his end of the goddamn bargain. 

Edited by Dan of Steel
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dan of Steel said:

Well, so much for that change in approach. 

Won the game, but that should be a guarantee against a team has awful as the Cubs. 

The fact that we have to hold onto our nuts with a 7 run lead in the 9th is a terrible indication. Kimbrel blows and he needs to put up his end of the goddamn bargain. 

You really thought he was going to blow the game?

So are people more pissed off that they gave up Madrigal to get him or that Hahn felt the need to get Kimbrel and they have gotten a dud in high or low leverage situations? 

Not sure why he was out there tonight but he should have gotten the outs.

Edited by The Beast

3 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

We have this game and you post this?  Seriously? 

It is a huge issue going forward this year.  It seems obvious he needs closing opportunities to see if he excels in that role for the Sox, but we don't know if the Sox are willing to do it.  His performance this year with the team has done nothing for him to deserve it, and that's coming from someone that only wants to see him in save situations in the 9th.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

It is a huge issue going forward this year.  It seems obvious he needs closing opportunities to see if he excels in that role for the Sox, but we don't know if the Sox are willing to do it.  His performance this year with the team has done nothing for him to deserve it, and that's coming from someone that only wants to see him in save situations in the 9th.

Is it possible that the dude just gets over amped when he's facing his old team?  Because his only awful outings have come against them.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

He didn't look good against Yankees or Rays either

He looked really good in that field of dreams game.  And he got squeezed and was kind of the victim of bad luck in that Rays game.  But he was likely going to work his way out of it until Tony messed up.  He gave up a home run to Aaron Judge.  Judge was on a tear at that moment.  I honestly don't put much stock in this outing.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

He looked really good in that field of dreams game.  And he got squeezed and was kind of the victim of bad luck in that Rays game.  But he was likely going to work his way out of it until Tony messed up.  He gave up a home run to Aaron Judge.  Judge was on a tear at that moment.  I honestly don't put much stock in this outing.

But Kimbrel is supposed to be good enough to not have to worry about getting squeezed or facing a slugger.  His fastball command has been garbage, the velocity is down and hitters are crushing it.

Just now, fathom said:

But Kimbrel is supposed to be good enough to not have to worry about getting squeezed or facing a slugger.  His fastball command has been garbage, the velocity is down and hitters are crushing it.

His velo is not down. He's struggling with command but why lie about something as easy to verify as velo?