Rodon/Keuchel

he gone.

Not sure this deserves a whole topic, but it's the dog days of summer. 

Next year you have a bit of a conundrum with our rotation. More arms than slots, and then you have Rodon too. That said, my proposal would be to give Rodon the same contract we gave Keuchel. 3 years, $55mm with an option for $20mm if he hits 160ip in his final season. Two angles here. A) resigning Rodon obviously improves the team, but also limits IP next year for the rotation which will help the team as it rebounds from innings limits and hopefully a long playoff run. It also keeps them fresher for hopefully another longer playoff run B) it's kind of like trading a year of Keuchel for a year of Rodon. If were to go with a rotation of Lynn, Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Rodon, Keuchel the likelihood of Keuchel hitting his $20mm option are all but not. So you're shedding a commitment while giving that equivalent money to Rodon. I think it's a fair/team friendly deal for Rodon. You get him for a 3 year contract, paying him well, but limiting the downside. 

Of course you could always go the other route which is to use Keuchel out of a bullpen/long relief role to limit his innings, this is just less sloppy. 

It will all depend on how Rodon finishes the  season.  If he looks like he did in the first part of the year, he is going to probably get more than the Sox will pay.  If he comes back throwing 92 max and gets rocked, he isn't going to get anything close to your proposal.  

14 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Not sure this deserves a whole topic, but it's the dog days of summer. 

Next year you have a bit of a conundrum with our rotation. More arms than slots, and then you have Rodon too. That said, my proposal would be to give Rodon the same contract we gave Keuchel. 3 years, $55mm with an option for $20mm if he hits 160ip in his final season. Two angles here. A) resigning Rodon obviously improves the team, but also limits IP next year for the rotation which will help the team as it rebounds from innings limits and hopefully a long playoff run. It also keeps them fresher for hopefully another longer playoff run B) it's kind of like trading a year of Keuchel for a year of Rodon. If were to go with a rotation of Lynn, Giolito, Kopech, Cease, Rodon, Keuchel the likelihood of Keuchel hitting his $20mm option are all but not. So you're shedding a commitment while giving that equivalent money to Rodon. I think it's a fair/team friendly deal for Rodon. You get him for a 3 year contract, paying him well, but limiting the downside. 

Of course you could always go the other route which is to use Keuchel out of a bullpen/long relief role to limit his innings, this is just less sloppy. 

Interesting.  Especially since Keuchel and Rodon share an agent, I think this deal gets it done with Rodon.

I would prefer Rodon over Keuchel but I don't think you could get Keuchel into long relief.  I do remember, what was it 2011, when the Sox starting rotation was so deep that they used 6 starters through most of the year.

I wonder though if we could trade Keuchel to a team hoping to get a motivated starter in the final year of his contract, one that might be kind of rebuilding or on the verge of contention?  Or one that is just desperate for pitching?