September Call Ups

maloney.adam

Looking at changes from the current roster relative to mid-September:

Up: Grandal, Hamilton, Engel, Marshall, Crick

Down: [2 extra spots], Lamb [DFA], Wright, Ruiz

Wishful thinking: Sheets up, Goodwin DFA

Wright getting optioned is kind of obvious with Lopez taking his role, could even happen for Grandal tomorrow. Crick for Ruiz is what I'm least sure of but I don't really see Ruiz making the playoff roster. 

Edited by Jose Abreu
forgot Engel
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I don't know whether or not the September 1 callup date is an exception to that rule, but if not, then just send down Lopez or Ruiz for 10 days so Seby can stay. With 2 days off next week and 2 opponents with weak lineups coming, they should be able to manage a pitcher short for 10 days.

Ruiz would have to be DFA so won’t be him.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It’s going to be sticky. Engel, Hamilton, Yaz and perhaps Marshall all need to enter the equation. See very little chance that Burger or Sheets see more big league time this year unless due to injury. 

Wish they could IL billy for another month and just have Sheets and Burger get regular ABs during september

13 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't think Yermin plays another game for the White Sox 

You're probably right. Hahn said that because because it never emphasized with the Sox . I'm sure Hahn had some idea Yermin is a problem child that let's his ego get the better of him. He sort of needed a big ego to go from where he started to reaching the majors. However once you reach the majors humbling yourself is also a key component of sticking around and apparently he is too much of a "me" guy.

The whole "retirement" thing practically guarantees him making a living in Japan or Korea next year.

• Like 1

It's going to be interesting to see how this roster crunch plays out.

There are currently 3 guys on the IL: Hamilton, Marshall and Engel

We expect that Collins will come back up at some point.

That's 4 guys to add to the roster and only 2 slots open up on Sept 1.

Lamb being DFA figures to be one move. I don't see how that gets avoided at this point.

The second move will be interesting. Wright and Ruiz are the least necessary as far as the postseason goes, but neither have options and I think the Sox are going to want them to eat some innings as starters get skipped or work shorter outings. Plus, neither have options. Lopez would have been the one to send down but he's earned his stay.

I actually think the second move might be Crochet. Can live without him for a few weeks in September, and as long as he's sent down after 9/1 he's still eligible for the postseason.

3 hours ago, Backwash07 said:

Is this new rule similar to hockey where you just have to have 28 guys on line up card for the night? Then you can switch it next night as you please? Any  info or clarification would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Baseball needs 30 man rosters very clearly but too ******** cheep. It will only get worse as pitch counts go down. 

6 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

It's going to be interesting to see how this roster crunch plays out.

There are currently 3 guys on the IL: Hamilton, Marshall and Engel

We expect that Collins will come back up at some point.

That's 4 guys to add to the roster and only 2 slots open up on Sept 1.

Lamb being DFA figures to be one move. I don't see how that gets avoided at this point.

The second move will be interesting. Wright and Ruiz are the least necessary as far as the postseason goes, but neither have options and I think the Sox are going to want them to eat some innings as starters get skipped or work shorter outings. Plus, neither have options. Lopez would have been the one to send down but he's earned his stay.

I actually think the second move might be Crochet. Can live without him for a few weeks in September, and as long as he's sent down after 9/1 he's still eligible for the postseason.

I don’t think you play games like that with Crochet at this point in the season.  Also opens up a massive hole in the bullpen.

If they want innings covered, Lopez is their guy while he is also doubling as an elite reliever.

Ruiz is necessary as he’s been pretty successful at whatever is asked of him all season.  

Not really sure how anyone in the organization can look at Wright and think he’s necessary for anything.  Who knows if he can even cover innings right now.  I don’t see how he’s not the obvious choice, despite their recent decisions regarding him.  

3 hours ago, pcq said:

Baseball needs 30 man rosters very clearly but too ******** cheep. It will only get worse as pitch counts go down. 

No it doesn't. 26 expanding to 28 is pretty ideal.

Not everything requires a dumb "the cheap owners won't allow it" comment. Especially when the difference for most teams would only be a few million dollars

On 8/27/2021 at 12:08 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You're probably right. Hahn said that because because it never emphasized with the Sox . I'm sure Hahn had some idea Yermin is a problem child that let's his ego get the better of him. He sort of needed a big ego to go from where he started to reaching the majors. However once you reach the majors humbling yourself is also a key component of sticking around and apparently he is too much of a "me" guy.

The whole "retirement" thing practically guarantees him making a living in Japan or Korea next year.

If the NL approves the DL he will be traded for something half decent IMO.

13 hours ago, Sambuca said:

I don’t think you play games like that with Crochet at this point in the season.  Also opens up a massive hole in the bullpen.

If they want innings covered, Lopez is their guy while he is also doubling as an elite reliever.

Ruiz is necessary as he’s been pretty successful at whatever is asked of him all season.  

Not really sure how anyone in the organization can look at Wright and think he’s necessary for anything.  Who knows if he can even cover innings right now.  I don’t see how he’s not the obvious choice, despite their recent decisions regarding him.  

If the key pitchers are going to get significant rest, it's going to take both Lopez and Wright to cover the innings.

One option is to leave Hamilton or Engel on the IL into mid-September in order to delay the roster crunch as long as possible.

16 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

What adjustment did the league make to Yermin specifically that caused him to stop hitting? Was it a certain way they were pitching him?

More breaking pitches outside and then busting him high/inside.

Yermin didn't make any adjustments. He still hit some mistakes, but couldn't handle the change.

Engel, Hamilton, Collins and Marshall are added.

Wright & Lamb DFA'd and then 2 additional spots. That would be it right? Marshall needs a 40 man spot because he was transferred to the 60 day IL.

Honestly, with Robert and Engel, Billy doesn't make all that much sense on the roster and I'd almost rather carry Sheets or Lamb.

8 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Engel, Hamilton, Collins and Marshall are added.

Wright & Lamb DFA'd and then 2 additional spots. That would be it right? Marshall needs a 40 man spot because he was transferred to the 60 day IL.

Honestly, with Robert and Engel, Billy doesn't make all that much sense on the roster and I'd almost rather carry Sheets or Lamb.

I've been going back and forth on this myself. Hamilton is fine for defense and pinch running, but like you said, a healthy Engel can do that. Hamilton should not receive any at bats in the playoffs (if he is on the roster).